Exclusive: Horrifying Death of Reality Star's Baby

9/26/2006 10:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Joseph SimmonsA rapper's wife gave birth Thursday, but the scene quickly turned to tragedy after their newborn girl was pronounced dead.

Rev. Run, a.k.a. Joseph Simmons, shocked fans last year when he announced that his wife Justine was pregnant on his MTV reality show "Run's House."

Justine's pregnancy was the cliffhanger on the MTV show last season. It generated intense interest among viewers who have been anxiously following the pregnancy and awaiting the birth.

Simmons, a member of the legendary rap group Run-DMC, was at Valley Hospital in Ridgewood, NJ Tuesday for the birth of his child. Doctors delivered the baby via c-section, revealing a cruel twist of fate -- the baby girl was born with organs outside the body. The newborn died a short time later.

TMZ has learned that MTV cameras were inside the hospital at the time of the birth, though we do not know if they were in the delivery room.

candice

wow, i'm tearing up here at work. god bless the simmons family, i can't imagine anything more horrible than this.

keisha

i'm so sorry to hear of this news, its breaking my heart because that would have been justine's 1st baby girl and i just ask that the lord give them strength through their hard time. however, i will still be looking forward to seeing the next season of run's house.

Jess

God Bless that family! That is terrible. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

moretocome

So very sad. I only know of his music, I did not watch the show but I'm due any day now and I'm sitting here crying for them. I can’t seem to stop. My deepest sympathy to the family.

Jessica

omg......im so so sorry.... :( .. may God be with you and ur family..

astari

So tragic and sad for the family. However, did she not have an ultrasound during the pregnancy to know to expect that? I believe that in some cases it can actually be fixed during pregnancy by surgery on the fetus. I can't understand why they didn't know about this before birth.

ERICA

Words cannot express how sorry I am for your family. I so enjoyed watching the show and the love you all have for eachother. Justine, I pray that you will come through this in good spirits. Lots of love to you sweetie!

Lesly Rodriguez, White Plains

My prayers are with Justine, Reverend Run and the whole family. It is so painful to know this and hear it. My husband and I lost our daughter Alexandra last September 2005 (she was stillborn). The pain is hard to describe, but your faith in God and the love from your family and fans can make you stronger. She will always be your little girl. And always remember that you and your husband did the best for her and and loved her so much. She will always know that her mommy and daddy loved her soo much and that you will get to see her and hold her again. Our childredn are a gift from God and only God knows why things happen. She will be in your heart forever. You will be in our prayers everyday. God bless you.
....You are precious in my sight, and honored, and I love you Isaiah 43:4

vanessa

I am truly saddened by the loss of Baby Girl Simmons. Remember, God is in Control . My condolences and prayers go out to the family.

Soulfull

Gosh, this is so sad. My heart goes out to the entire Simmons family...

melbourne chiqa

God bless xoxo

h8er#1

Very sorry for the family. Such a tragedy. I am, however thankful that the comments have all been supportive during this horrible time and nobody has said anything unkind like usual posts. That is, except for TMZ's sensationalism. Change the title!

paul

prayers & love from my heart

Lisa P

My prayers are with you to find comfort during this difficult time. God Bless you and your family. You may not understand why this has happened, but I do believe your faith will keep you on the path and will bring you hope and love in the future. You have a beautiful family and I admire how you parent your children in this day and age. With much love and sympathy...

Heather

I'm so sad to hear about this. God bless their family.