Shakira:

Diva in the Heart of Texas

9/26/2006 3:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

No one is safe from the cold shoulder of Shakira. A source tells TMZ that the pop princess skipped out on meet-and-greets scheduled months ago with fans and local radio personalities on her latest tour stop in McAllen, Tex. What's more, she demanded a full phalanx of protection literally surrounding her from dressing room to stage, preventing any contact with fans or staff, and asked the Dodge Arena to confiscate any cameras, which they did. (TMZ got this snap of the show from a cell phone.)

The Colombian-born songstress' budding-diva-behavior seems oddly off-key, particularly because McAllen's population is more than 80% Hispanic, and some of her most ardent fans are in the area, which borders Mexico, where Shakira is also hugely popular. In fact, fans were so desperate to get tickets for the sold-out shows that they have engaged in raw-egg-and-onion-eating contests for the chance to see her.

A member of the local media tells TMZ that reps for Epic Records, Shakira's label, told him that she declined the meet-and-greets and interviews because she needed to protect her voice -- except that the songstress has only one more show on her current tour until December. Reps for Shakira say that there were no official engagements that the singer was aware of or that she intentionally skipped, and a Dodge Arena spokesperson said that other artists have asked for the "no cameras" proviso.

shypearl

she sucks!! i WAS IN MC ALLEN, TX AND AFTER THE CONCERT WE WENT TO SEE IF WE COULD GET A PICTURE OR GREET HER AND SHE HAD BLOCKED THE ENTIRE HOTEL WITH SECURITY. THERE WAS ONLY LIKE 10 OF US FOOLS AND DOZENS OF SECURITY MEN GET REAL SHAKIRA YOUR NOT ALL THAT YET HONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken

I've attended several Shakira concerts (Denver 01/28/03 Pepsi C., San Jose 08/22/06 and Miami 12/07/06). I loved the music and performance.

I don't know what personality Shakira has outside the limelight. I am, however, very grateful for the quality of her professional work. I do think she can be very attractive and casual at the same time. It's also HER LIFE that we're talking about and NOT how much more she owes the general public. She's a celebrity. When on stage- she's there for the fans. Off hours........I say "leave her be so she can be herself" and take NOTHING more from her.

Bizarre stories about her are not only hard to believe, but are now being proven not true. I'm not a celebrity. I do own a business and I've had to deal with cheap shots as I'm sure we all have. How much energy do you invest trying to convince everyone that the rumors are lies? I applaud the work of Shakira. I hope she invests her energy in positive directions and I really hope that those writing negative things about her re-invest their time wisely.

"and be happy, especially that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Thank you, Shakira.........enjoy your life

tara

I cant stand looking at this frizzy haired, nasty ho

U Know Who

LOL I thought the headline said - Skankira

Seriously I thought I read that as the TMZ headline. Upon further inspection I see it says Shakira - whew.

BlackMetal

Jimmy Barnes

This hip shakin' dork makes me want to vomit when I hear her voice... Sounds like she's being strangled when she sings. SUCKS!

Jimmy Barnes

SHakira is a dyke.

ladynblack

Shakira.....get over it!
Her attitude don't lie

Caroline

I've said it before, I'll say it again- she looks like a muppet.

Matt

Help me out because I don't get it. Her voice is grating and annoying...she sounds like a Hyena.

Trisha

Ok please # 1 & 2 if your a girl your just jealous of how great she looks and if your a man then your just mad because you know you could never be with her....GET OVER IT!!!! shes a celebrity and can choose to talk or not if she wants to

Your Mama

She's hot as hell from the neck down but the hair, the face and especially the voice make me cringe. My cringe don't lie.

KP

She blew off the American Idols when she was on the show too. She was told "the kids" want to meet you and declined later saying that she didn't know "the kids" were the Idols. She has had what 2 hit songs--don't get me wrong I liked both songs but come on get over yourself.

V

She can't sing!! She sounds horrible!!!

lety

In Shakira's defense for those non hispanic people. Less than a month ago a VERY famous Mexican singer(Joan Sebastian) son was shot in the head in McCallen Texas after his dads performans he was part of his dad security team. The killer in this case was a mexican fan of Joan Sebastian. The news made big headlines in Mexico and I KNOW that Shakira was aware of what had happened since she sent her condolesence to the family. she might have not wanted to admit it but I'm sure this was the biggest factor for her doing this. I'm from Texas(Dallas) and I was shocked that in such a small town like McAllen something like this could have happened.

Rose

Okay all I can say is jealousy will get you know where. I love her voice and she's got a killer body. No I'm not a lesbian but I respect her talent. And if you all didn't want to talk you wouldn't. So just give her the same respect. She does have a personal life also. How do any of you know (that are bashing her) know she wasn't going through something. Give her a little more credit.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments