Simon to Clay -- Give Me a Break!

9/27/2006 7:16 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Simon Cowell: Click to watchLeave it to Simon Cowell to put down a guy on Paxil.

When commenting on Clay Aiken's recent admittance that he takes the anti-depressant to deal with the fame that came with "American Idol," Cowell definitely didn't hold back.

"Oh give me a break. Let me have a choice, I'm going to work in a coal mine for 14 hours a day or I'm going to be a runner-up on 'American Idol.' Give me a break, idiot."

And while judge Paula Abdul and celebrity guest judge Olivia Newton-John both stuck up for the season two runner-up, Cowell kept the insults rolling.

"They're not working for a living, they're becoming famous ... no one's put a gun to their head ... Clay, whatever he may have said, would not swap what he's got now for what he had three years ago."

Way to be sympathetic Simon!

vicki

Simon is a windbag...he thinks we're all fascinated by his words of wisdom. NOT! Seriously if he only knew how little people actually think of him he's be on Paxil himself. Thankfully for him, he's rich otherwise I'd be passing out a turkey plate at the mission this thanksgiving. This is a true "only in America" story. He'd be a beggar in england (his home sweet home). They sent him here...as a joke or perhaps payback cuz they hate us!!!

Fourth Grade Mathmatician

Preach on Brother..

Kim

Way to be REAL, Simon!

stoopit

Clay you're glib, take some vitamins and you'll be ok.

Kim

Is that you, Tom?

Elle

Simon's so right! This not only applies to Clay Aiken but to celebrities in GENERAL. I'm not saying it is IMPOSSIBLE for these people to suffer from depression, but the truth is if they had a choice of going back to a normal life ( 9-5, middle class income,etc.) they would NOT choose it! The perks of being a celebrity are too much!!

LAGurl

Simon is absolutely true. His point isn't that anti-depressants are bad but that Clay is just a whiney idiot. He goes on a tv show that promises to make the winners successful famous singers then when it happens he cries?!! Simon is right, if it is too hard for you to have fans and be famous, remember the people in the real world that have to work horrible conditions for little pay. You don't see people in sweat shops on meds...hee hee. Clay rubs me the wrong way!

We, are not amused.

Simon is right. It may be a pain in the ass being famous and all, but once you've lived the high life its hard to go back to being just another gay guy working at Wal-Mart.

Fourth Grade Mathmatician

Clay "ass is a" Akin...............

Is possibly the biggest loser in the world..

Well not as long as MK OLSEN is still walkin around like a skeleton...

MK OLDSCUM "IS" the worlds biggest LOSER.. HAHAHAHAHA its true

no pervs allowed

Clay who??? American... what???

At least I know what Paxil- or at least would if I had to watch that show and listen to those wanna-be singers every week. Just a fu**ing joke those ass clowns are.

caveman

i would submit that the drugs are for spending a lifetime hiding his being a flamer.

simons right, imagine trying to explain an eating disorder to an ethiopian.

They about to get paid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you need a anit-deperssant to watch americian idol,all of them one song deal,tired of paula,simon and randy,none of them who know talent,a far as they know ,paris has talent,NOT!!!!!,i WISH ALL OF THEM WOULD GO AWAY,THE ONLY THING PARIS HAS TALENT IS BEING DUMB

Sharn Cedar

"the truth is if they had a choice of going back to a normal life ( 9-5, middle class income,etc.) they would NOT choose it!"

The other day I was on the side of a mountain walking down to a hidden beach ?I know about, with my family and a good friend, and I realized I was the richest man in the world. Right there, the richest man in the world. Famous people, rich people, all seek that moment. It is more accessible really to the middle class, we don't deal with fame or excessive responsibilities that take us away from being really rich. Good friends, good family, freedom to wander, open sky above, green earth below, that is the richest person in the world. That's all Clay Aiken is saying. Simon Cowell is wrong..

Marlene

Just goes to show that the price of fame can be extremely high. I'm sure that he wouldn't want to go back to pre-Idol days, but give the guy a break! He works hard and isn't one of the celebs that are in and out of rehab. Depression is a disease not a chosen way of life!!!!

Trina

I just love Simon. He is ALWAYS right! People just don't like to admit it.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments