Mel Gibson Breaks His Silence

10/10/2006 8:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson talks to Diane SawyerMel Gibson says his anti-Semitic rant the night of his DUI arrest was the "stupid rambling of a drunkard."

Gibson told ABC's Diane Sawyer, "What I need to do (is) to heal myself and to be assuring and allay the fears of others and to heal them if they had any heart wounds from something I may have said."

TMZ broke the story detailing Gibson's tirade after his July 28th arrest in Malibu. He has since pleaded no contest to drunk driving and was sentenced to three years probation. The actor has also entered an Alcoholics Anonymous program.

The Sawyer interview will air this Thursday and Friday on "Good Morning America." Thursday's segment will feature Gibson's comments about alcoholism and drunk driving, and Friday's installment will deal with Gibson's anti-Semitic comments.

lili

It's not anyone group that is hated. It's simply the hypocrisy of being able to try to destroy a movie, to which Christians had the right, and then crying anti-semitism when Mel expressed his anger towards them.

i would criticize hypocrisy ANYWHERE that I see it, Jewish, Christian, Muslim.

Forgiveness is the word. Mel was angry, and said bad things...Now let's try to move forward, and see if he is truly sorry, which I believe he is.

fly on the wall

Every body has issues, some more than others. It's the only disease known to man where man fights the cure. It claimed my identical twin and almost me. I never remembered what I did, only that my credit card number was on my florist's speed dial list. Only 3% of people who go into rehab and a 12 step program manage to stay sober. That is a sobering thought in itself. Mel's addiction was insanity as was mine. But for the grace of my God, I am sober six years. It is not the years that count, it is the quality of sobriety that counts. I had that spirtual awakening that they talk about. Why me? Why not my twin? I will never be able to answer that... I love life sober today, and I hope Mel feels some gratitude for being sober for today only.

fly on the wall

Hey Ghostly, # 39

So you think people from the South are idiots or racist pigs and we can't spell? My Dear, why don't you visit the South sometime. You might just find that we are actually more intelligent that the planet you are living on. Sometimes we Southerners must save stupid people from themselves-so here is your salvation letter from the South. So before you pass judgement, remember, you have two fingers pointing back at you laughing everytime you open your mouth and insert your foot.

A Famous Genius Living in The South

Doubtful

Harvey Levin needs to calm himself down. Gibson got drunk, ranted and raved stupidly and is paying a fair price for his behavior. He has been someone we have liked and whose art we have enjoyed for years. Levin appears to be on a crusade to ruin Gibson. I used to be a fan of Levin's but he appears mean and overly angry about Gibson. I heard hm on tv last night, and he had fine points about how Gibson in his view should have handled the GMA interview. Learn to forgive, Mr. Levin, and get a life.

Bree

I forgive him. I've been drunk and made comments about things that definitely wasn't true about me. I was told the next day and I was in complete shock about the things that I did and said. I was extremely embarrassed. I'm an alcoholic and have been sober for 10 years. It is an evil poison that makes you do and say things that in your right mind you would never in a million years say or do.

Rita

Stop beating a dead horse. He said what he said and has apologized for it .... what more do you want from him?

barbara hennon

I'm not jewish so it is not up to me to forgive mel gibson. the italian half of me and the catholic part of me has been maligned so much in my 64 years that i do what i think everyone else should do -ignore it. no one else seems to care anyway. also, mel gibson is just an actor, bill clinton was our president and supposed to be our leader. some example. i'm a lifelong democrat and i can't claim to be any religious fanatic, but there is such a thing as right and wrong, and we hope our leaders would lean a little more to doing the right thing. wishful thinking? I don't care much what any actor has to say.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4