"Lost" Diary: The Glass Ballerina

10/12/2006 12:18 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Welcome back to week two of the "Lost" diary, I am your "Lost" tour guide Daniel. With last week's mildly disappointing (to me at least) premiere behind us, gotta say I am pretty psyched for this week's episode to see what some of our other castaways are up to.

Going back to last week for a second, I got a few comments about my remark that I threw up after Jack asked about his ex-wife at the end of the episode. Look, I get choked up by television more times than I care to admit, and "Lost" has certainly done it to me from time to time, but last week's attempt at drawing out emotion was just silly.

Let's look at the situation: you survive a plane crash and spend the next two months being terrorized by "monsters" and a gang of island inhabitants known as the Others. Then they kidnap you and your friends and drug you. One of them shows you a file with everything you have ever done in your life in it and asks you if you want to know anything ... and you ask if your ex is happy? Are you kidding me? How about, "Hey, what's with the crazy black smoke monster?" Or maybe, "Um, what did you do with the children you kidnapped?" It's just bad TV, plain and simple.

As always, I watch "Lost" with a group of friends and keep track of what happens. Tonight I am joined by Ari, Lauren, Matt, April, Dana and Jason. On with the show ...

9:00 -- It's Sun flashback time -- or should I say Lil' Sun flashback time. The title of the episode isn't too hard to figure out this time, as Lil' Sun broke a glass ballerina and blamed it on the maid.

9:04 -- Jack is still on lockdown in the aquarium and he's not in a very talkative mood. Juliet went back to see Henry Gale (who I officially refuse to call Ben) and he is watching Jack (and some other areas of the island) on a string of monitors. They are interrupted by another Other (the fantastic Paula Malcomson from "Deadwood") with news that "the Iraqi" has a sailboat. This has Henry Gale very worried, something we haven't seen before. "I want that boat," he tells Colleen. Something tells me what Henry Gale wants, Henry Gale gets.

9:08 -- Sawyer and Kate are being led somewhere by a gang of Others when they are interrupted by Colleen. Seems like she is rousing up a posse. Over on the boat, Sun apologizes to Jin...

9:10 -- But it seems like she has a lot more to apologize for. That two-timer! She was banging her English instructor. And she just got caught by her father. Serves her right. Is Jae the father of Jin's baby? Would explain a lot.

9:13 -- Sawyer and Kate are being led through more of the Others camp. They've been given jobs and Sawyer was introduced to the taser. From now on, I am calling Colleen's boyfriend Mr. Taser.

9:18 -- Sun's dad has just asked Jin to kill the man Sun has been sleeping with. Jin tried to say no, but you don't say no to Sun's dad. Also, I am now pretty sure I could write a movie that takes place in Korea -- just use the words "honor" and "shame" a lot.

9:19 -- The question I have for the remainder of this episode: Will Jin find out about Sun's affair? I'm going with yes.

9:20 -- Sayid plans on docking the boat at an "abandoned" dock ... but seeing as we saw last year's season finale, we know different. Then he promises Jin it's safe -- the kiss of death.

9:21 -- Alex, Rousseau's abducted daughter, sneaks up to talk to Kate and asks about Karl. "You're not even supposed to be in that cage?" Is there a different cage they are supposed to be in? Lauren is quietly chanting, "Make out, make out, make out." I've said it before: we all watch "Lost" for different reasons.

9:23 -- "That would be part of the lying you mentioned." -- Sayid. If I am ever kidnapped, I want Sayid to be the one to find me. Or Jeremy Sisto. But seeing as "Kidnapped" is getting the heave-ho, I'll take Sayid.

9:29 -- Pretty heated discussion I just read between Jin and Sun. The lesson, as always, don't marry the daughter of a Korean warlord if you aren't prepared to kill the guy he catches your wife in bed with.

9:31 -- Jin's caught on to what Sun and Sayid were planning, and he's pissed (shamed, maybe?) but he's down to help.

9:33 -- Is now a good time to ask what the Others are building/digging/trying to find? Actually it isn't, because Sawyer just kissed Kate in a way that made Lauren make a noise I have never heard her make before. After beating down a few Others, Sawyer drops the gun he picked up because Juliet has one pointed at Kate. I don't know what to make of Juliet just yet, but I am leaning towards bad girl at the moment.

9:36 -- Sayid and Jin are hiding in the forest. What they don't know is that the Others want the boat. Sun is on the boat, staying "safe." Let's see how this plays out...

9:37 -- For those of you that said "badly," you are correct.

9:40 -- Lauren has requested we re-watch the Sawyer/Kate kiss later. She describes the kiss as "very romantic. Hot, sweaty and dirty, but really romantic."

9:41 -- Jin begins "delivering the message" to Jae. I am guessing that somewhere in the pleading for his life, Jae apologizes for sleeping with Sun.

9:42 -- Nope, Jae got off easy.

9:43 -- Scratch that. No he didn't.

9:44 -- Colleen, staring down the barrel of Sun's gun, says the Others are not the enemy, but that if Sun shoots her, that is what they'll become. Does anyone else think that speech sounds a little like the Obi-Wan Kenobi in "Star Wars"? "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine." Anyone?

9:45 -- Bang, bang. Well, guess we'll find out. Sun's shooting draws cheers from the crowd.

9:46 -- Sun manages to escape from the boat and after a Korean version of Marco Polo we get -- what feels to me -- our 10th "Jin and Sun get reunited" moment.

9:50 -- Sun's dad says that Jae "must have felt great shame." See what I told you? This writing for Korean people is apparently very easy.

9:53 -- "You taste like fish biscuits" -- Kate. Great conversation here between the two, but one thing stands out and that's Sawyer's assessment of Juliet. I trust him on these matters so I am now strongly of the belief that Juliet is a bad, bad woman. Oh, and Henry Gale was listening the whole time.

10:00 -- The entire time the last five minutes of the episode was on, I just stared blankly at the screen, jaw wide open. Wow. Ok, where do I begin? Benjamin Linus, pleasure to meet you. What are the Others still doing on the island if they can leave? What does Henry want Jack to do "when the time comes"? Did Walt and Michael really go home?

Wow, ok, so what did we learn? Let's recap...

Henry Gale's real name is Benjamin Linus and he says he's been on the island his whole life ... He claims they can get off the island at any time ... Sawyer is always up to something ... Juliet is to be feared just as much, if not more than, Henry Gale ... The Others are on the island for a reason ... Sun isn't the good girl we thought she was.

Last week we learned the Others had contact with the outside world, via the file Juliet had on Jack. This week we learned either they have Fed Ex or TiVo because they had the World Series on TV for Jack to watch. Tons -- and I mean tons -- of new questions were posed this week, but they came as the result of great truths learned: The Others are here for a reason. What that reason is... I am dying to find out.

This episode was about a B for the first 55 minutes, but obviously it's an A+ for the last five.

Ok, I'm going to try something new this week to spawn some discussion. Let's call it the question of the week. This week's question: You read my take on Juliet, so what do you think -- good or bad? Sound off and I'll see you next week.

rudy

Juliette is bad, definitely bad, without a doubt bad. Thought this episode was better but I still think there are too many people on this damned island....and more to come.

vicki

mmmmmmmm, love me some sawyer!!!!!!!!!!!! juliette i think is bad, she seems to have some control or clout.

Melissa

Yeah Juliet is definitely bad. Why isn't anyone questioning what Henry Gale said when he spoke of the boat. He told that blond girl that they would just be going around in circles. Going around in circles and never getting anywhere? How? I'm more confused than ever!

Vicki

That scene with Sawyer and Kate was awesome, as was the Red Sox scene! I definitely think Juliette is a bad-ass.

My only problem with this episode is this...if Sayid is this all-seeing, all-knowing genius, how in the world could he have thought that they wouldn't go after the boat? The Others came by boat once already when they took Walt. Someone as smart as Sayid surely would have thought that it wasn't safe for Sun to be on the boat by herself in the dark.

Big A

I think Ben and Juliet are brother and sister and they run the island and are both trying in their owen way to control the Others. I have one complaint. There are so many commercials. This is definetly one show I want to continue to watch after it's over. I also have a question? Who thinks that Walt and Michael are coming back? Also, I think Jin already has some idea that Sun cheated on him with Jae.

Cheri from Toledo

I think she is real bad but I also think that the file they had on Jack, they got that information from Kate, did you see her wrists when they removed the handcuffs?
I also think that Sun's baby isn't Jin's. We do need answer!!!!

sam

I agree this episode made our heroines look like idiots. Why not ask, who the hell are you? Why are you doing this to us? Basic stuff any human would want to know but these geniuses don't think to asks? If they have access to outside world why wouldn't you be trying to find out what the hell they want with you, threaten them with legal action, it may be laughed at but you'd at least try. You'd try anything unless your a useless whinny doctor like Jack. And who are all these manual laborers milling around working while some of the chosen ones have guns? Why not help Sawyer out when he tried to get the gun? And Sawyer so brilliant why wouldn't they think they might be watched or monitored while;e in the cages? Again more questions and no answers. This is getting real old, real fast.

nsanders

Why does Kate always get caught? She doesn't seem to put up much of a fight.

Niki

Which kiss was hotter between Kate and Sawyer: last night's or the one from season one?

Missy

I want to believe Juliet is good.

Isn't Juliet the same woman from Desmond's flashback? His girlfriend, with the rich father (who I am assuming has ties to the Dharma initiative)? She says she is going to find/save him after he goes missing at sea? I could be way off. This show makes me crazy.

Lucy

I am still waiting for something really "shocking" to happen. I am anxious to see what became of the other losties when the hatch blew up. That had to alter things, don't you think? Also can't wait for that hottie new lostie, Rodrigo, to be on!

Kate Shaw

When "Lost" became "Lust" crossed with Survivor, I Left.

I'm firmly convinced that the people who write this show have no clue on earth or elsewhere what this show is about. They got me with Laura Palmer, they got me with X-Files, they lost me with Lost/Lust.

I'll read summaries and ignore the whole thing til it makes sense.

John

Well, I think she is bad as of right now. However I think when the time comes she will be the one to someone give Henry Gale a run for his money when a power struggle begins, and yes I think there will be a power struggle between someone and Henry. Its seems from the glances Juliet gives Henry and from the beginning and intro of Juliet not inviting Henry to the book club, means something.

Tra

I do not think Juliet is bad - remember she is the fiancee of Desmond - if she is bad then she talked a good game for Desmond to get caught up in all of the mess on the island.

I for one was soooooooo happy Sun killed on of them - and for Sawyer to beat the crap out of that guy - I don't think experimenting on these innocents is something that makes for a good show. NOW, to redeem the show, I'm hoping it's not experiments on the survivors - I'm hoping it's Ben and the Others want to correct whatever they did wrong - BUT we all know that won't be it.

Ben is drunk with power, my guess is he thinks he's God or has the same abilities to create and take away life. I think we'll find out where Ben's parents went wrong, as they were the ones who were one of the creators of this secret society and Ben got carried away - and those that are doing the menial work chopping rocks? Are the other survivors who were probably brain washed or brain was washed away and became one of the followers.

Trish

Juliet might be a toughy but you can't beat Ben on the Creepiness Factor.

Seems like The Others would be punching that computer button in the hatch if they've been on the island for so long. So far, everyone acts like that sonic boom explosion never even happened???

Hey, I'm with Lauren on the kissing........

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments