O & Bono's

Shopping Spree

10/13/2006 3:26 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

When Oprah Winfrey and Bono team up, you just know it's for something big.

The two celeb humanitarians hit up Michigan Avenue in Chicago and zipped in and out of stores selling Product (RED) merchandise - an effort benefiting the fight against AIDS in Africa.

Apple, Gap, Motorola and Emporio Armani have joined the cause, which is backed by Bobby Shriver and the U2 frontman. "What's great about (RED) is I'm not asking you to give money or write a check or give to charity," says Bono, "I'm asking you to buy (RED) products and the companies who make those products will be making the checks, that's so cool."

The products, all of which are the color of the campaign name, include iPods, RazR phones and clothing.

Bono will appear on Oprah's talk show today to talk more about the U.S. launch of (RED).

Shante

Kathy, What does starving Children have to do with Black or White. A child is a child. You went left field with that statement.

jolie fan

There are alot of celebrities who give generously whith their time and money here in the states. And let`s not forget the critisism that Brad Pitt has gotten for all the work he is doing in New Orleans just because he split up with Jen. Reese Witherspoon and Sandra Bullock are two more celebs who give their time and money. The fact is that no one really wants to hear about a celeb that isn`t linked to a scandal, or who isn`t fun to trash. No one wants to trash Reese or Sandra. The poverty in america can not be compared to the poverty in africa. When the food runs out in africa they eat boiled grass. We have social programs here for poor people. No, I am not saying it is enough, but millions of people are not dying of starvation in this country. People do die of aids in america, but In africa aids is a death sentence. If these two people can make the difference between life and death for millions of people, then I say God bless them! What are you doing to help end poverty in the united states?

Lisa D

Oprah's school she is building in Africa is going to be for strictly black girls that she has has chosen to come and live and learn there,,what about the little boys????why only girls,,she is a generious woman but ,with all her BILLIONS, why not do this in Harlem,in the US,,you can not save a whole country ,but that would do wonders for the down and out in Harlem, why not keep her gifts of cash for the US,, since the states is what gave her ,her wealth and freedom and success,,least we forget how she got this far anyway,,I know hard work all buy herself boo hooo poor Oprah,,,she should help out in the US not Africa her and Bono can't save a whole country but would do wonders here,,for aids etc..

Jane

I agree. I think Oprah is great but enough of other countries!!! Look around!!

We have devastating poverty here in the United States!! We do absolutely too much for other countries!!! Iraq, Afghanistan.......!

Why not support our own country????

Lyleth

They both have huge ego's , but that should not negate the fact that they are doing something good. Good is good. Ego is ego. Big deal. I give to charity here in America and have given to charity to benefit places in Africa. I am a human being and so are the poor folks here and the poor folks in Africa. Every one deserves help. I would welcome it if I were starving. This great nation was built on the backs of millions of African (and many many Native American slaves)...So it's fitting for Oprah as a decendant of some of those slaves to want to help over there. And her and her ego have done plenty of good in this country. There is nothing wrong with anyone wanting to assist in making a better life for other people. Get your heads out of your asses and start seeing the world and as it is. A planet with billions of people who are from the same planet. Cut the us and them crap. Bono gets on my nerves but the humanitarian stuff he does is good. Weather you like him or not.

Sllim14fun

Wow....Just when you think you've heard it all. Why should it matter if Oprah or Bono choose to use their celebrity to raise money for charities in Africa? First off, it's their money - they made and should be able to use or spend it as they choose. Secondly, Yes there are poor people in this country, homelessness and hunger, etc but we have social programs that are available. It may not be enough, but our government and others as well make some type of contribution. The millions in Africa stricken with Aids don't have that luxury. Their government is not working to create social programs, they are not working with pharmaceutical companies to try and make the simplest of medication semi-affordable or even available. There are many differences in these two situations that make them apples and oranges and really not able to be compared - at least not by a sane, logical person. Anyway, why should it be Oprah's or Bono's responsibility to take a bulk of their wealth and try to solve any social problem completely on their own. Its not like they created the problem and therefore are responsible for it. Let's keep some semblance of perspective here people. Bottom line: It shouldn't matter who a celebrity is helping, or how much they're spending from their own pockets to help. What should be utmost on people's minds is that they are in fact not totally self-absorbed and are helping at all. In the statements of the critics and naysayers posted here is a blaring and blatantly absent list of the money, time, and programs that any of them have spent, donated or created in "this country" or any other for that matter. At the end of the day, a human being has been helped, their life in some small way improved. That fact should stand above all others. It's fine to have an opinion, but does that opinion have to be drenched in criticism or disdain, or pointedly aim to diminish or belittle someone? With all the deceit, hypocrisy and hate that gets spewn day in and day out all over the world, someone....anyone who chooses to do something positive, that improves the world - here, there, wherever - should be applauded, commended, and asked by one and all "what can I do to help you and your cause." Just remember the phrase: "There but by the grace of God go I" and never forget how fortunate so many of us are.

Lisa D

Wow #21, that's quite the speech you said there,,,was not being negative towards there efforts to help the Africian ppl there, it is just the thought that these 2 can not save a country in whole, nor can the US,,sure we have programs here to help the less fortunate, but have you ever asked for help with what ever?? All the red tape involved in asking for a small helping hand, then only told to reimburse the help once you are back on your feet, nothing is ever free in this world, we all pay eventually, with our taxes ext. Me I am sick of ppl asking for donations here and donations there when I can barely pay my grocery bills, heating bill and just living exspenses,,I'am lucky I have a job, but was not given to me had to earn it, find it look for it. then a partner looses his job because shipped overseas cuz wages are extremely smaller . Therefore my family goes without because we are one income less. There goes the comforts of being able to pay my heating bills, or a mortgage payment,,,the bank wants these payments regardless of my personal circumstances..But the immigrants come to Canada to work and receive free housing, dental, drug, start up allowances etc. also supplying them with a job when they arrive from there war torn countries..Thats all fine and dandy but still remains , how now do I feed my family because one member of the household still has a mesely 14 dollars an hour job, and there are no free handouts for me,cuz one person is working...WE in Can.and the US still have major povery , and homeless ppl. aswell as aids, and other life threating diseases,,and because I can not afford 22,000 for one year of treatment to save a spouses life he may die,,,because one person in the household holds a job,,we are going to go without and my husband my die in 5 years because who has 22,000 to dish out to pay for the medicine he needs to cure him of this life threating disease,,,,and all the red tape that has to be processed to be a big MAYBE my gov't may help with this cost,,by the time they decide to help us with hugh cost he may be dead,,nice how we help our own so very quickly,,I am sick of helping over seas when I can not even get help in my own country for my husband who has worked his whole life and paid his taxes, and donated to various causes, thru payroll deductions. Now when I need the help of my gov't to save his life all I get is the run around,, and he may not be here long enough to know the out come of all my hard work in trying to save his life,,because we do not have 22,000 dollars for medication,,and the doctor will not even start treatment till he knows the medication is paid for,,for the whole years of treatment...great sell his house to get the money to save his life then go on the system because everything is lost..How would you play these cards dealt to you????Sorry for the Africian ppl but as you have read here we have our own problems in our own back yard, and we are up against a brick wall now,,do you have any suggestions for this problem or should I just ask Bono for the money to save his life>>or maybe just move to Africa and the meds will be paid for...nice..have a great day,,,as I am still struggaling to come up with 22,000 dollars.....>>>>sincerly a working girl who makes 14 dollars an hour times 52 weeks..doesn't add up....anywhere..so thats what I say to you as you feel for everybody else in the world,,how about my world...

LeNita

I think it's time to look out for our own house. It's time for Hollywood's elite to look at their own backyard and take care of our own home first. If they donated 10% of their annual income to the homeless and hungrey children in this country and single mother's living in proverty they could really make a difference. Are they looking for press or do they really care? Look to your own house first; then take care of the rest. There is so much need in our own house, please help the children in your backyard, they need it just as much. It's not as newsworthy; but we all need to take care of our home. Please help, the middleclass is having a hard enough time just surviving; we do all we can; the elite have the power and dollars to change thousands of childrens lifes, our own house needs repair. Please for the children; help the innocent children at home; then help everyone else you can. Look to your heart, hear the cries, answer the call, and remember where you came from. Your gift will be rewarded three fold, give with love, care, and devotion not for publisity, grandure, media, or acknowledgement but from your heart then look in the mirror and feel the blessing of giving back the gifts that you have recieved. And feel the love, balance and harmony that it will give your life.

Todd

At last! The truth comes out-- Oprah, The love child of Maya Angelou and Stevie Wonder! The most unattractive photo , ever, of Oprah! O-- watch out for that pigeon, uh, oh! Inthe eye of the O!

chuck cosby

We give billions to Israel and other countries for war and guns. America has a 15 trillion dollar war machine but these same conservative that didn’t want the government to help the poor, now say that Oprah and Bono should save the poor children in their own countries first.

Instead of killing and war, the US government should be saving children all around the world, not Oprah or Bono.

chuck cosby

We give billions to Israel and other countries for war and guns. America has a 15 trillion dollar war machine but these same conservative that didn’t want the government to help the poor, now says that Oprah and Bono should save the poor children in their own countries first.

Instead of killing and war, the US government should be saving children around the world, not Oprah.

LaReina

I understand Bono will profit greatly from the sale of this junk.
Oh yes, a portion will go to help somebody in Africa, too.

frankie

Frankly, I think its really crass of Ophrah to go on and on about consumer goods and carry on about luxuries that most of her audience cant afford, doesn't need and doesn't need to afford. Who cares about 1000 count sheets? She sounds sooo materialistic sometimes its nausating .... and, coming from poverty, you would think she would know how this sounds to her audience.... I think certainly she could do a lot more for people in the US.... and, frankly I think her materialism undermines her credulability and status

moretocome

La Reina, Your understanding is worng. If you don't want to do the research yourself, try re-reading the post. Carefully this time.

justpicky

6. Together, Oprah and Bono are worth about $700 million dollars. How dare they badger us for money! They could give away 95% of that to charity and STILL be multi-millionaires enjoying the good life. The money they blow each week flying in private jets could save an African village. They seriously need to STFU.

Posted at 4:37PM on Oct 13th 2006 by Marie

MESSAGE 6- MARIE IS TOTALLY RIGHT .........

THIS I KNOW FOR A FACT ..........THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE WHO'S LAID OFF WORK BECAUSE OF DOWNSIZING WHO NEEDS HELP , WHY DONT THEY HELP THOSE WHO ALREADY PAID FOR THERE TAXES .........THESE PEOPLE WORKED HARD , BUT COMPANIES ARE LAYING THEM OFF BECAUSE THE COMPANY IS MOVING TO ANOTHER COUNTRY OR GIVING THERE JOBS TO MEXICANS .................OPRAH IS OVERRATING , SHE FLAUNTS HER MONEY AROUND BUT AT THE SAME TIME SHE DOESNT HELP THOSE WHO REALLY NEEDS IT IN UNITED STATES ....................

REMEMBER COMPANIES ARE THE ONES WHO GIVES THE CARS , ETC TO OPRAH , SHE DIDNT BUY THEM OUT OF HER POCKET ..................................

OPRAH THOSE IN YOUR OWN STATE NEEDS HELP ( ILLINOIS ) , HELP THEM .............

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments