O & Bono's

Shopping Spree

10/13/2006 3:26 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

When Oprah Winfrey and Bono team up, you just know it's for something big.

The two celeb humanitarians hit up Michigan Avenue in Chicago and zipped in and out of stores selling Product (RED) merchandise - an effort benefiting the fight against AIDS in Africa.

Apple, Gap, Motorola and Emporio Armani have joined the cause, which is backed by Bobby Shriver and the U2 frontman. "What's great about (RED) is I'm not asking you to give money or write a check or give to charity," says Bono, "I'm asking you to buy (RED) products and the companies who make those products will be making the checks, that's so cool."

The products, all of which are the color of the campaign name, include iPods, RazR phones and clothing.

Bono will appear on Oprah's talk show today to talk more about the U.S. launch of (RED).

justpicky

ANOTHER POINT , WHY ISNT OPRAH ADOPTING CHILDREN FROM AFRICA , IS

IS IT BECAUSE SHE IS "SELFISH" SHE DOESNT WANT TO HAVE CHILDREN

BECAUSE SHE HAS TO GIVE TO A CHILD???

I TRUTHLY THINK OPRAH IS SELF CENTERED LADY , SHE WANTS

EVERYONE ELSE TO ADOPT , BUT SHE DOESNT ............................

ORPAH COULD HELP MANY CHILDREN IF SHE WOULD ADOPT

AND LET THEM LIVE WITH HER ..........................................................

OPRAH STOP BEING SELFISH AND ADOPT AFRICAN CHILDREN ..........

justpicky

OPRAH IS SELFISH , START ADOPTING CHILDREN , THERE'S MANY

IN UNITED STATES WHO NEEDS A PARENT .......................................

Get a clue

Africa is in a greater state of need than those in the states that people here are using as a basis of argument. To be able to buy something I want or need and have a minimum 50% of the net total go towards charity can only be a good thing. Bono and Oprah are simply using their fame to spread word of this endeavor and I applaud them for that. They don't get anything out of it other than the knowledge that they can help us help others. Do they make more money than the rest of us? yes! Do they contribute more than the rest of us? yes! I don't know $ figures, but I'm sure what they donate is a multitude more than I ever will or can. Frankly, anyone who spouts that 'proud to be an American' crap should be the ones in full support of this as this country is always bragging about how great, wonderful, and charitable it is. Quit you grousing about meglo-maniancs and do something good.

moretocome

Justpickyyy

1st WHY ARE YOU YELLING?

2nd. What's up with this obsessive behavior. Do you suffer from OCD? How you compare loosing a job and having to go on unemployment. To starving to death from lack of proper nutrition? He have soup kitchens, homeless shelters, social services. And yes we are not perfect but we’re still light-years ahead of what poor starving nations are faced with.

3rd What does Oprah adopting a baby have to do with anything? What if she just doesn’t want to be a mother, or knows she wouldn’t have the time. Sound like a responsible discussion if you ask me

And by the way they’re raising money for the fight against AIDS in Africa. Not sure how we all got off on straving childern and adoption. I think you’re the one that’s sounding selfish. Sounds like you just wants some of her money??

moretocome

before the spelling police login I do know the difference between loosing and losing. Apparently my fingers are confused.

GERRI

YES I THINK RAISING MONEY FOR THE POOR IS GREAT WE HERE IN THE UNITED STATES HAVE MANY POOR AND SICK WHO CANT AFFORD MEDICINE I MYSELF HAVE RELATIVES WHO CANNOT GET WHAT THEY NEED BECAUSE OF INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS AND RESTRICTIONS OR JUST DONT MAKE ENOUGH MONEY TO TAKE CARE OF THERE KIDS AND THESE PEOPLE ARENT CONSIDERED POOR . WHAT HAS BEEN DONE ABOUT HOW ALL THE KIDS GET IN AFRICA??? IS ANYTHING BEING DONE ABOUT BIRTH CONTROL AND EDUCATION?? I HAVE AN EMPLOYEE WHO IS MARRIED TO AN IRANIAN WHO HAS A SUCCESSFUL AND FLOURING BUSINESS IN SOUTH AFRICA AND SHE IS BEING NEGLECTED HERE IN THE US WITH NO MONEY NO INSURANCE AND 3 KIDS I GUESS SOMETIMES WE SHOULD WORRY ABOUT OUR OWN AND THE ELDERLY. MY PARENTS BOTH ARE RETIRED AND COVERED SOME BY THE RETIRED ARMY(FROM BEING HURT AND SENT HOME FROM KOREAN WAR) AND ARE NOW STRUGGLING TO GET WHAT THEY NEED SEND SOME G R E E N OUR WAY FOR OUR OWN THANKS

mare

Ok it's their money. Just because they have tons of it and tell people what they are doing with it doesn't mean they have a gun to our head. One more time their money if they want to wipe their ass with $1,000 bucks. Their money.

What people don't understand is how can you turn away from a starving child. A child who is begging for food, a mother who knows that their child will die (not possibly, but will). I understand people are mad that we should take care of ours first. Let me present you with this. If we can control the spread of aids, starvation, or disease would you? We can control it here. You can't there. The only time we would give a damn is if you got a job transfer to Africa, or if the disease spread again in a massive form over here.

over a 300,000 people per month die from starvation and disease in Africa. That simply doesn't happen on this soil. We don't allow that to happen here. What makes there children less important that ours.

Please if my spelling is incorrect the concept is I tip my head down towards those two. Thank you Oprah (PS. I love B more, and get your hands off) and Bono

M

moretocome

So GERRI this is not the forum to ask for money but here's some suggestions. Write Oprah directly, or go to a local church, or go to social services, get another job, or vote democrat but don't knock these two for helping people just because you are not one of them. You see in America we have these choices to make, you have places to go to get help, they do not.

moretocome

The birth control in Africa is happening by attrition due to the shear numbers of women and children dieing from starvation and/or AIDS. There is no comparison to these numbers in America. We need to remember this is a global issue. Not an us vs. them issue.

Shelley

Am I the only person who was totally put off by the fact that every time Oprah went into a different store or boutique that she repeatedly said, "I'll take 10"!!!!!!! Yes, Oprah we all know how wealthy you are, but do you have to shove that down our throats??? Many of us are lucky if we are in a position to purchase 1 electronic toy or pair of Armani sunglasses; some of us need our paychecks to eat....

Lorraine

Sometimes, I wonder if all the money is really going to Africa. Because people has been helping for many years and that country is still suffering, worst than ever before. If Oprah and all her celebrities friends are really doing there parts I give them all my respect.

Rose

Oprah and Bono, I love you!!! Remember, God judges every man by the intent of his heart. Anyone with an ounce of common sense know that what's going on in Africa is a devestation. I send money via unicef as often as I can, and I'm considered to be charity!!!

moretocome

Sad comments. American's can be a truly selfish bunch these days. Why don't all you whining for hand outs go get a job? If you have a job that doesn't pay well, get two! If you can afford a computer and to sit here and post you are not destitute. Why do you think you’re owned 10% of anything they make? What’s your logic? You ask them to entertain you, they do, you pay them. It’s called supply and demand. They are in higher demand than you are, deal with it. What they choose to do with their money in none of your business. Would you want them telling you how to spend your money? No.

And for god sakes everyone re-read the article, this is about fighting AIDS. If you don't think the spread of AIDS in Africa isn't affecting the rest of the world, you're wrong.

Skher Ta Resh

All I can say is that poverty is caused by misappropriation of the world's resources. It is that plain and simple and as a society we spend more time and money studying and theorizing poverty instead of dealing with its basic cause. In a civilized society, poverty does not exist. There are enough resources for everyone on Earth to live with the basic neccessities of life, food, clothing, and shelter and of course for psychic survival we also need entertainment. Until resources which are here for everyone are reappropriated to make sure that everyone has what they need, poverty will exist. Essentially, poverty is caused by greed, avariousness, anti-social behavior, and unbalanced egos. As long as anyone suffers from poverty, we are all spiritually poor.

moretocome

Why spend so much time hating these people? Anyone of them. They all have problems, same as you and me. But they have to play them out in public because for some reason paying $9.50 to see their movies makes us entitled to a front seat view of their entire lives. The good and the bad. If people want to be bigger than them, then truly be so by forgiving and/or forgetting them. They aren’t the worst bunch of humans on the earth. Angelina and Brad are helping others and raising their kids. Jennifer is not complaining, she seems very happy. Even if she and Vince never take the relationship to the next level, I doubt Jen will be alone for long. There’s probably 100 guys right in her own neighborhood that would love the have a chance to make her ecstatically happy.

My point being, when you put hate out there even when it’s about something that does not affects you directly, it goes around and around and then bam, right back at ya. We all know there are some positive aspect to each one of these celebrities and some negative. I understand it’s more fun to write negative things but it takes more skill to write something positive even if you do have issues with the subjects. So what if we all blogged like Sister Mary Sunshine was standing over us with a ruler? Oh well, it was just a thought.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments