Tom and Katie

Wedding Conflict

10/15/2006 12:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Wedding ConflictTom Cruise and Katie Holmes' wedding may be just around the corner, with her dress all ready to go, but the persistent buzz is that Katie's parents are still outraged that the nuptials -- whenever and wherever they happen -- will be conducted by the Church of Scientology, rather than in the Catholic tradition. And there have even been suggestions that the family Holmes is threatening a last-minute boycott of the wedding to try to convince Katie to have a proper Catholic ceremony, even if she does one Scientology-style, too.

Katie was born a Roman Catholic and went to parochial schools growing up in Toledo, Ohio, and so it would only be fitting for her to be married with the usual Catholic rites -- not in a Scientology ceremony, in which the bride is sometimes called a "girl" marrying a "man" and in which one of the solemn "pacts" of marriage is that the couple agree not to go to bed angry. The Holmes family has not commented publicly on the situation, though the TomKat mothers were spotted recently having lunch with their children. Cruise's rep maintains that the couple will be married sometime in the fall.

Britney Shapes Up Furiously For Big Return

Britney Spears has targeted her husband Kevin's album release party at the end of this month to make her triumphant return as the svelte, sexy young starlet we once knew -- and sources close to the family tell TMZ that she's enlisted a small army of nannies, trainers, and nutritionists to put her through her paces to make sure she's looking her best.

According to our sources, Brit has hired a nanny for each of her sons, and is constantly in the gym "for hours at a time," working out feverishly to shed all the extra poundage she put on while having two babies in 13 months -- and indulging her penchant for Taco Bell gleefully and often along the way. "She really wants to make a huge splash at Kevin's release party," says our source, "and she totally wants to outshine Kevin and announce to the world that she's back."

Anna Nicole's Mom Joins The Fray

The Anna Nicole Smith saga is just getting uglier. The latest twist is that Smith's mother, Virgie Arthur, has told Page Six that she thinks her grandson Daniel -- who tragically died in the hospital room where his mom had just given birth in the Bahamas -- was murdered. Toxicology tests have shown that Daniel died of an overdose of methadone and the antidepressants Zoloft and Lexapro. "Somebody had to give it to him. He had to get it from somewhere," Arthur reportedly said. "I just know Danny didn't kill hisself. He did not overdose hisself . . . Danny wouldn't take drugs to begin with. I don't believe that for a minute. You could not convince me of that." Smith has not yet held a funeral for Daniel, whose body is still lying in a Bahamas funeral home.

Celebrity Goodwill Flu Catches Kidman

Maybe all that do-gooding by the likes of Bono and Angelina Jolie is contagious. Nicole Kidman is the latest celeb to get in on the act-she arrived in Kosovo yesterday as a United Nations goodwill ambassador. The region was devastated by war in 1998-1999 and Kidman plans on visiting the southwestern town of Djakovica, one of the most hardest-hit areas of the conflict. This is Kidman's first tour of duty since being named goodwill ambassador of the U.N. Development Fund for Women in January.

Party Favors: Leo Gets Under Diamond Giant's Skin ... NBC Losing Revenue Steam

Diamond merchant DeBeers is gearing up for a fight-over the upcoming Leonardo DiCaprio movie "Blood Diamond," out Dec. 15. In the movie, the African diamond industry is portrayed as a conflict-ridden one, but DeBeers claims that the movie distorts the truth, according to the New York Post ... NBC should start watching its wallet. The network's operating profit fell 10 percent in the third quarter, largely because of expensive shows like "Kidnapped" and "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" that haven't lived up to expectations.

Add to: My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines
AOL Alerts

Doby

It seems that Britney has a following like that of a royal. I just don't get it. I wish she would put some clothes on when she sings. I think she needs to be a better role model, not to mention Christina A. You don't need to dress half naked to sell cds.

Chris

For all the traditional values that Tom shuns....betcha he does a prenup!!! AND when you marry ,you marry the in-law's too. A wedding X 2 would solve so many problems. Unless your the problem (TOM) and controlling everyone and everything is your bag. He even convienced Nicole that having sex on screen was ok if it was with your husband. He's just plain controling and sick. I feel sorry for his children.

Samantha

I want to start by saying that I am glad that britney is getting back n shape but I hope she learns to be less revealing as that stradgy did not work for her last 2 albums and she is a mom now and they will be embrassed as they grow up. She can be sexy but do it tastefully.

And now about Kate and Tom, I know that tom's sceintiolgy is a weird thing but . Katie feel in love with tom before he was in that sceintolgy thing. And if you look it up John Travola was in the sceintology thing to with his children too and nobody thinks he is crazy. As for the people saying "is there realy a suri?" Oh my, come on the picture on the cover shows she is a spitting image of Katie. Leave that child alone . Tom is a little bit strange but Katie can help who she is in love with and there has got to be a side of Tom that we dont see and she loves about him. That goes for any couple. Many in my family think my boyfriend is a litle crazy but I love him that way. He is not Tom Cruise crazy but he is fun and he would jump on a couch in front of Oprah Winfrey. LOL!! I say if they are going to get married they are going to do it no matter what anyone says, you cant fight love. I am glad they are marrying since they have a child together. But No body gaurds are holding Katie from every leaving so she want to be there and let her figure it out if she doesnt want to be with him. And the custody thing they wuld give the litle one right to Katie , She is the mother and tom has alot of dirt that is spread all over the place so no judge would give him the custoday and most judges go for the mother any way.

I wish KaAte and Tom the best and I hope they are happy. And if not , they can do what every other famous couple does, get a divorce.

SUZANNE

KATIE HOLMES IS AN IDIOT. IT'S AMAZING WHAT SOME PEOPLE WILL DO FOR FAME. HOPE SHE GETS HERSELF STRAIGHT REAL SOON AND PUTS THE CHILD'S BEST INTERESTS FIRST. TOM CRUISE IS A WACKO.

Carol Goss

Another weirdo example of Scientology along with Cruise is Travolta................he thinks he is a prophet...................the last special I remember actually wasting my time watching was his tour of his "private jet"............he and his self absorbed wife sicken me as well as Cruise and his antics..................I am waiting for Oprah to admit to Scientology........................I hope not, but it seems she si VERY close to them all. As for HOLLYWEIRD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>................it is def. just that.

David

Wooooooooooooooooooooo I love you Britney!

TJ

Thanks for the compliments...but I just copied and pasted from: xenu.net which explains the worklings of the Scientology cult...thought you would all find it interesting!

chris

TOM CRUISE IS A COMPLETE IDIOT AND FOOL! IF HE WANTS TO BE PART OF THE CULT OF SCIENTOLOGY , WHO CARES!!!! WE NEED TO STOP PUTTING THE SPOTLIGHT ON HIM AND HE'LL FADE AWAY AND RUIN HIS OWN LIFE BY HIMSELF JUST LIKE MICHEAL JACKSON! KATIE HOLMES IS JUST A GIRL WHO HAS SERIOUS EMOTIONAL PROBLEMS , IT'S VERY OBVIOUS BY HER CHOICE TO HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS IDIOT! SHE WILL PAY THE PRICE FOR AT LEAST THE NEXT 18 YEARS (CHILD) FOR THE POOR CHOICE SHE HAS MADE! SO LET THEM FADE INTO REGRETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cyndi

Although I truly believe Scientology is weird, I don't see other Scientologists like John Travolta, Lisa Marie Presley or Beck acting as ridiculous as Tom Cruise. I think Tom Cruise is probably an idiot is his own right.

WENDI

SCIENTOLOGY IS A CULT. I WAS PUSHED INTO IT AS A CHILD (FOR A VERY SHORT TIME). MY MEMORIES OF IT ARE SO SCARY, JUST THE WORD SCIENTOLOGY MAKES ME CRINGE. IT SHOULD BE BANNED, BUT INSTED SOME FAMOUS LPEOPLE ARE TRYING TO MAKE IT SEEM LIKE IT'S AN OK THING TO BE A PART OF. THIS MAKES ME SAD.

TRUTHFULLY, I DON'T CARE HOW TOM AND KATIE LIVE THERE LIVES, IT IS NOT MY BUSINESS, BUT I AM GLAD THAT THEY ARE PUBLICALLY , MAKING PEOPLE AWARE OF HOW INSANE THIS PRACTICE IS.

Moaett

I think Tom Cruise is an embarrassment to the human race, by taking this young girl ( so in love with the thought of "Tom Cruise") and taking advantage of that to empregnate her without marrying her, and going against her family and putting her thru so much shame and public comments. He obviously does "not" love her or he would have respected her more and taken better care of the "girl" almost young enough to be his daughter. What a louse, and a total "Tom CAT".

Big Mama

HA HA ,,,this is a crazy world isnt it? Who cares about Brittney losing weight or not? Who cares about this crap scientology? I mean Tom Cruise has proven to be an idiot but just be glad its not you right? Poor Suri and Katie cuz they are doomed!! BAHAHAHAH

scott jensen

The Maven enlightened me on a point of curiosity. Thanks for the explanation of what makes a nutcracker. Keep up the good work.

Barb

I don't think any priest would marry Katie and Tom in a Catholic service since they have been living together and had a child (I guess) together. I think they would have to agree to live apart for a time and also Tom would have to agree to raise the child in the Catholic faith and that is not going to happen. It seems that Katie has given up her faith for Tom.

Victor