Tom and Katie

Wedding Conflict

10/15/2006 12:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Wedding ConflictTom Cruise and Katie Holmes' wedding may be just around the corner, with her dress all ready to go, but the persistent buzz is that Katie's parents are still outraged that the nuptials -- whenever and wherever they happen -- will be conducted by the Church of Scientology, rather than in the Catholic tradition. And there have even been suggestions that the family Holmes is threatening a last-minute boycott of the wedding to try to convince Katie to have a proper Catholic ceremony, even if she does one Scientology-style, too.

Katie was born a Roman Catholic and went to parochial schools growing up in Toledo, Ohio, and so it would only be fitting for her to be married with the usual Catholic rites -- not in a Scientology ceremony, in which the bride is sometimes called a "girl" marrying a "man" and in which one of the solemn "pacts" of marriage is that the couple agree not to go to bed angry. The Holmes family has not commented publicly on the situation, though the TomKat mothers were spotted recently having lunch with their children. Cruise's rep maintains that the couple will be married sometime in the fall.

Britney Shapes Up Furiously For Big Return

Britney Spears has targeted her husband Kevin's album release party at the end of this month to make her triumphant return as the svelte, sexy young starlet we once knew -- and sources close to the family tell TMZ that she's enlisted a small army of nannies, trainers, and nutritionists to put her through her paces to make sure she's looking her best.

According to our sources, Brit has hired a nanny for each of her sons, and is constantly in the gym "for hours at a time," working out feverishly to shed all the extra poundage she put on while having two babies in 13 months -- and indulging her penchant for Taco Bell gleefully and often along the way. "She really wants to make a huge splash at Kevin's release party," says our source, "and she totally wants to outshine Kevin and announce to the world that she's back."

Anna Nicole's Mom Joins The Fray

The Anna Nicole Smith saga is just getting uglier. The latest twist is that Smith's mother, Virgie Arthur, has told Page Six that she thinks her grandson Daniel -- who tragically died in the hospital room where his mom had just given birth in the Bahamas -- was murdered. Toxicology tests have shown that Daniel died of an overdose of methadone and the antidepressants Zoloft and Lexapro. "Somebody had to give it to him. He had to get it from somewhere," Arthur reportedly said. "I just know Danny didn't kill hisself. He did not overdose hisself . . . Danny wouldn't take drugs to begin with. I don't believe that for a minute. You could not convince me of that." Smith has not yet held a funeral for Daniel, whose body is still lying in a Bahamas funeral home.

Celebrity Goodwill Flu Catches Kidman

Maybe all that do-gooding by the likes of Bono and Angelina Jolie is contagious. Nicole Kidman is the latest celeb to get in on the act-she arrived in Kosovo yesterday as a United Nations goodwill ambassador. The region was devastated by war in 1998-1999 and Kidman plans on visiting the southwestern town of Djakovica, one of the most hardest-hit areas of the conflict. This is Kidman's first tour of duty since being named goodwill ambassador of the U.N. Development Fund for Women in January.

Party Favors: Leo Gets Under Diamond Giant's Skin ... NBC Losing Revenue Steam

Diamond merchant DeBeers is gearing up for a fight-over the upcoming Leonardo DiCaprio movie "Blood Diamond," out Dec. 15. In the movie, the African diamond industry is portrayed as a conflict-ridden one, but DeBeers claims that the movie distorts the truth, according to the New York Post ... NBC should start watching its wallet. The network's operating profit fell 10 percent in the third quarter, largely because of expensive shows like "Kidnapped" and "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" that haven't lived up to expectations.

Add to: My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines
AOL Alerts

Ruth

To The Maven and Hippo:

Thank you for the info on Scientology. I've valways known it to be a cult and some crazy group of people paying cash to be "saved", "accepted" or whatever it is you reach/accomplish by shedding your money out to be able to be in "the church".

I didn't know any of the other details and will research it myself to become more educated on the subject. Scientology sounds as bright as the "Heaven's Gates" group that commited suicide in California a few years ago, waiting for a UFO or comet to take them away. But we know that with Scientology is all about giving the money away to some very smart person, I'm sure he doesn't believe in the Xenu stuff himself. Nicole Kidman is lucky to be away from Tom.

tina

last week britney was in bed resting to get over having a c section,and kev was taking charge of the kids and now i read that she was actually in the gym and kev was in las vegas, i am completly lost now!

I can't wait to see brit back to full form! and to see the pics of the new baby.

TriskaMaam

Britney & Kevin need to be left alone. If-- and when -- "she" decides to dump him, I'm sure she will. But for right now she seems perfectly happy & pleased with him. Who are the "public critiquers" who seem to think they should be divorced. Whomever they are, I'm sure they don't want their lives run by the "public."

Jack

The "Church of Scientology" was first introduced in a comic book. YUP a comic book. Ron Hubbard found out there were people actually copying the comic book and meeting. So Mr. Hubbard established the heirarchy and VAVOOM the "church" was born. This IS not a GOD based church. In fact the only reason it is called a religion was to avoid being called a cult. Plus the tax exempt status doesn't hurt. If anyone wants to follow the teachings of Ron L Hubbard..good for them. However, leave the Judeo/Christian references alone. There is no church..there is a meeting hall..there is no religion..there is a cult. As far as a wedding..WHY? GOD won't be there..only the ghost of Ron L. Hubbard. I feel very sorry for Katies parents. This whole mess must be totally agains't their moral fiber.

Lynn

If Britney can lose the extra weight in a healthy way, great. If she has to resort to smoking again to do it, it's not worth it.

Angiebaby

I hope Katie's parents support her and attend her wedding, even if they do not support the ceremony. Katie will really need them later. I am not a betting person, but I would bet on that.

Barb

Katie is an adult and if she wants to get married in the Scientology church, her parents need to butt out. In this country we have freedom of religion and her parents have no right to try to control her. They are going to the church of their choice. She has the same right.

Victoria....Oregon

Poor little Katie....can you imagine living life under a moroscope? Your eyes have lost their sparkle. Be safe Katie......and think through every move you make. I want to see that sparkle again. You're not committed just yet. If you have any doubt at all.....then back away. Good luck to you little one. I wish you nothing but happiness. Just a note.......I loved you in "First Daughter". You were and are the most precious. Don't lose sight of that.

KBeast

Tom Cruise is a psycho. Katie should run...very fast. Her parents are right to not want her married according to that quack "religion". And to uh "Careslessbear" over there...it's not like we're gonna make an impact or that we're forcing beliefs on anyone. It was just a bunch of people posting on how insane Cruise is. You sound kinda sympathetic. Closet Scientologist are ya??

Linda C. Snyder

I am the parent of a 24 year old who married a man that both her father and I knew would be a disaster for her. She ignored all our warnings and my heart aches for Katie Holme's parents. They love her and are only doing what a smart parent tries to do; get their daughter to think before she marries and hopefully realize that a marriage in this instance will affect her daughter as well .

charlotte

I feel that Tom should respect her religeon like she respects his and they should have a double wedding. By only having one religeon, HIS. He doesn't respect her at all.

Jack

THIS IS TO S.CHRISTENSEN. WOW, I never thought of the wedding and the divorce to follow in the light you clicked on. You are so very right. I wish I had thought of that..GREAT POST

vicki

Maybe Katies parents should back down on her getting married in the Catholic Church.
If She is not married in the church, the marriage is not recognized by the church. This could be VERY important in the future, because if the "marriage" does not last with Tom (and how could it - look at his history- in his marriages, and in his life) She will be free to marry in her church when she wakes up and finds a real man (not a real man-ipulator!)
Going through an anullment in the process of the church can take YEARS to untangle!

Helen Semrau

Thanks to the Maven for that succinct description of Scientology. Does the Maven know what the things were hanging out of John Travolt's nose when he made that stinker of a movie about Scientology which was so bad I can't remember the name.

no2ndchance

When I think of Katie going forward with this "wedding" with this obviously disturbed person; who will then be even more in control of her life; I absolutely shudder with dismay and fear for her. The delusion will fade so fast she won't know what hit her. If I were her parents I'd try shock therapy, but it's probably too late; Tom's had his hooks in too long and it might take a real "shock" to get Katie to face reality. I truly feel sorry for her. Tom gives me the total creeps and I used to like him, but now ------ yuck!!!!!