Celebs Who Claim They're Green but Guzzle Gas

10/18/2006 12:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Hybrid cars are all the rage in Hollywood. Celebrities drive them like they're a badge of honor. You save a few gallons of gas, you save the planet. Right? Well, not when you hop on a private jet and burn enough fuel to propel NASCAR through 2050.

Of course, the stars need to go here and there. The location shoots, the fabulous vacations, etc. But that's why God created United Airlines. G-IV's, on the other hand, were created in the image of precious celebs.

Julia Roberts

On the ground: Roberts drives a Prius, which gets (at best) 60 miles to the gallon, shaving 30 miles off a normal car's mpg.
In the air: Chicago/LA, 1,749 miles in a private jet, the route she took with Rupert Everett while shooting "My Best Friend's Wedding."
Gas guzzled: 2,100 gallons of jet fuel.
Prius Penance: Julia would have to drive 30,000 miles, or roughly once around the earth and then some to even out her consumption in the air.
So Julia says: No word yet from Julia's rep.

Jennifer Lopez

On the ground:
J-Lo tools around in her 60 miles-per-gallon Prius.
In the air: LA /New York, 2,475 miles in a private jet. Lopez was actually sued by a private jet company for allegedly skipping out on the bill, though she says it's all a misunderstanding and she was not supposed to be billed.
Gas guzzled: 2,750 gallons of jet fuel.
Prius penance:
She'd have to drive 45,000 miles, and that's a lot longer for Jenny than just going down the block. It's actually more like twice around the earth.
So Jennifer says: There was no comment from Lopez's rep.

George Clooney

On the ground: George favors a Tango, an electric car that gets a whopping 135 miles to the charge.
In the air: Los Angeles/Tokyo, 5500 miles in a private jet.
Gas guzzled:
7,000 gallons of jet fuel.
Electric shocker: Even with his super-saver Tango, he'll have to drive over 57 oceans -- Pacific Oceans to break even.
So George says: Clooney's rep, publicist Stan Rosenfield, tells TMZ, "You clearly have no understanding of certain people's need for private transport," and points out that Clooney often has "no control" over his travel schedule.

Brad Pitt gets off his private jetBrad Pitt

On the ground:
Eco-champ Brad is yet another Prius-lover, and he reportedly has several hybrids in his stable.
In the air: Los Angeles/Namibia, 9,400 miles in a private jet.
Gas guzzled:
11,000 gallons of jet fuel.
Prius penance: Brad burned enough fuel to take a Prius to the moon.
So Brad says: Pitt didn't have any comment. His rep tells TMZ that Pitt is out of the country.

Leo fueling his PriusAnd the true-blue Green Award goes to ... Leo DiCaprio.

On the ground: Leo drives a Toyota Prius
In the air: Leo flies just like us folk -- commercial, unless he positively must fly private because of scheduling.
Prius penance: None.

patti

If they flew on regular airlines, they might be forgiven for all that flying but private jets makes them look like idiots.

Herstory Girl

Ummm... I wonder how much fuel TMZ and other papparazzi burn up chasing celebrities for these stupid stories?
Those who live in glass houses...

j

Oh shut up, TMZ. You're no better. What's your job? To *drive* around all day chasing "celebrities".

And I can't believe you listed J. Ho. Doesn't she have a bunch of gas guzzling Bentlys and Range Rovers?

sam

>>lowly types

Uh speak for yourself OK. joe? Oh sorry I forgot 'end of discussion', alrighty then.

Hey wait everyone Joe call end of discussion! Ally, ally out come free. I crack myself up.

badmammajamma

Gosh, give them a break!

They are doing quite a lot to promote the hybrid vehicle and awareness of fuel consumption issues.

Glee (I'm baaaaack)

Although I question the motives of TMZ to write this article --- I do think that stars should be (and probably are) aware of the hypocritical actions they undertake. George galls me the most because he defends his actions, which, if he really was so "green," would be undefendable.

If Leo can fly commercial so can the others (GO LEO!!!). Just think George how many more half your age women you could pick up if you flew commercial....

Reality Check

My car is not the most eco-friendly either, but the important difference here is that I am not on a national soapbox telling everyone to mend their gas-burning ways. I wouldn't criticize these stars either, IF it weren't for the fact that I know I have seen at least three of them preaching about the importance of conserving energy and using renewable resources. It's a bad case of do as I say, not as I do.

oat

I have seen many A-B celebs flying on commercial flts. I was once on a plane that had Sarah Ferguson, Dutchess of York. She and her people bought (YES PAID IN FULL) all of the seats in 1st class so she could have her privacy. They were flying a short LAX-SFO type distance. Yes they could of chartered a private plane if they needed privacy, but they were conserving fuel by going on a plane that was already heading that direction.

celebrity whore

Why was Brad at the top of the worst list? It should have been George Clooney! He's ALWAYS on the news ranting about some do-gooder-thing.

I am beginning to hate George's smug face. Cary-Grant-like my ass...I am swearing off all George Clooney movies from here on out, especially after what his paid PR hack said about his need for privacy! VOMIT!!!!!

Reality Check

Oat-That isn't conserving fuel. What about all of those empty seats? I don't think you get it.

Eli

I guess if I had that much money I would fly private to, TMZ you hate to much on celebs, and Im sure you waste as much gas if not more chasing their asses everywhere!

Leo I wish I would bump into you one day hun!

Georgia Peach

YIKES!!! Let's all calm down a bit here. First, I have NEVER heard George Clooney or Julia Roberts preach to anyone about gas consumption. They just do their part quietly and conserve, which is probably more than most of the folks commenting on this web site do. How many of you carpool, or drive a regular, low mileage car vs. an SUV (I HATE SUV'S). I do conserve, so I believe I can speak about the subject. TMZ is using Julia's flying around during the filming of My Best Friend's Wedding as an example - do you all know how OLD that movie is??? That was a long time ago. If she was so bad about this, then I believe they would bring up a more current example. Let's give these guys a break. Yes, maybe they should fly commercial, but I know at least some of them do most of the time. I have personally seen George Clooney fly commercial and I can certainly see why he doesn't do so all of the time. Geeze - he gets SWARMED. I don't know how he makes any flight on time that way. So they use a private jet once in a while - so what??? You would too if you had a gazillion paparrazi and fans hounding you everywhere you went, too. At least they try.

By the way, I would venture to bet that more than half of the people bitching are SUV drivers - PIGS!!!!!

Bunnie

Every picture of Julia Roberts I've seen, with the exception of the above, shows her near her Range Rover. I mean, if someone gave me a free Prius, I'd probably drive it, too. Too bad there was no coverage of Cameron Diaz, who at least manages to drive her Prius all the time instead of when it looks good or is pree-expedient.

David

I agree with TC-Atlanta, Ga. And the example for Julia Robert's was really lame since how many years ago was that movie??? Long before hybrid cars were all the rage. And truth be known...if everyone gave up their gas guzzling reason for war pollution machines..a.k.a SUVs and drove only cars that were hybrid or at least got 30mpgs we could all be flying in private jets. It should be the law!!!!

Billie

these stars drive "green" cars yes, but one cannot deny that they are hypocrits in regards to the jets. i worked in film, clooney can put it in his contract that he will only fly commerical first class, the studios would love this type of savings. and clearly, he can fly commerical when it's for personal reasons. clooney, the rest, they all have assistants, do you think clooney is making his personal or professional travel arrangements, lol! bottom line: they don't want to fly commercial because once you fly on a private jet, (i have many times, it's wonderful), where you don't have any hassle, you would never want to fly on a commercial airline again. they should be honest and just admit that they are only green when it suits them.