Celebs Who Claim They're Green but Guzzle Gas

10/18/2006 12:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Hybrid cars are all the rage in Hollywood. Celebrities drive them like they're a badge of honor. You save a few gallons of gas, you save the planet. Right? Well, not when you hop on a private jet and burn enough fuel to propel NASCAR through 2050.

Of course, the stars need to go here and there. The location shoots, the fabulous vacations, etc. But that's why God created United Airlines. G-IV's, on the other hand, were created in the image of precious celebs.

Julia Roberts

On the ground: Roberts drives a Prius, which gets (at best) 60 miles to the gallon, shaving 30 miles off a normal car's mpg.
In the air: Chicago/LA, 1,749 miles in a private jet, the route she took with Rupert Everett while shooting "My Best Friend's Wedding."
Gas guzzled: 2,100 gallons of jet fuel.
Prius Penance: Julia would have to drive 30,000 miles, or roughly once around the earth and then some to even out her consumption in the air.
So Julia says: No word yet from Julia's rep.

Jennifer Lopez

On the ground:
J-Lo tools around in her 60 miles-per-gallon Prius.
In the air: LA /New York, 2,475 miles in a private jet. Lopez was actually sued by a private jet company for allegedly skipping out on the bill, though she says it's all a misunderstanding and she was not supposed to be billed.
Gas guzzled: 2,750 gallons of jet fuel.
Prius penance:
She'd have to drive 45,000 miles, and that's a lot longer for Jenny than just going down the block. It's actually more like twice around the earth.
So Jennifer says: There was no comment from Lopez's rep.

George Clooney

On the ground: George favors a Tango, an electric car that gets a whopping 135 miles to the charge.
In the air: Los Angeles/Tokyo, 5500 miles in a private jet.
Gas guzzled:
7,000 gallons of jet fuel.
Electric shocker: Even with his super-saver Tango, he'll have to drive over 57 oceans -- Pacific Oceans to break even.
So George says: Clooney's rep, publicist Stan Rosenfield, tells TMZ, "You clearly have no understanding of certain people's need for private transport," and points out that Clooney often has "no control" over his travel schedule.

Brad Pitt gets off his private jetBrad Pitt

On the ground:
Eco-champ Brad is yet another Prius-lover, and he reportedly has several hybrids in his stable.
In the air: Los Angeles/Namibia, 9,400 miles in a private jet.
Gas guzzled:
11,000 gallons of jet fuel.
Prius penance: Brad burned enough fuel to take a Prius to the moon.
So Brad says: Pitt didn't have any comment. His rep tells TMZ that Pitt is out of the country.

Leo fueling his PriusAnd the true-blue Green Award goes to ... Leo DiCaprio.

On the ground: Leo drives a Toyota Prius
In the air: Leo flies just like us folk -- commercial, unless he positively must fly private because of scheduling.
Prius penance: None.

Reality Check

Um, Bill? I don't know what you are talking about. I, too, was saying the celebrities need to practice what they preach. I have re-read all of my posts, and I can't find anything where I talked about how the celebrities would be inconvenienced by flying first class.......are you sure you meant me?

Glee (I'm baaaaack)

cmon TC just because I pointed out your flawed logic you don't have to get so upset. I barely even drive so don't get all uptight with me.

DeeBee

It wouldn't be so bad if it was a necessity rather than an ego stroke. I mean it has to be cheaper to buy out the entire first class section of a commercial airline than to rent a private jet. Excessive waste at it's finest, but that's one of the priviledges of being a superstar I guess. But at least they drive eco-friendly cars rather than the big, giant SUV's that seems to be all the rage these days. Oh wait, that's what their entourage is following them in. My bad.

My two cents

I have to agree with so much of the bloggers here. Okay, so they drive fuel efficient cars, but fly in "gas guzzler" airplanes....what is your point TMZ? Geez Harvey, what else can your idiot staff come up with? How many man hours were spent on this article and how much did you pay the idiot that wrote it?

Joe

Rich people obviously answer to a higher power than us normal folk.

oat

39. The point is, you don't know. All you can do is hypothesize, yet in the meantime you get all hyped up because one time she did something you consider to be right.
---------

OH WOW! So you SAY that ALL I can do is hypothesize. And you know this to be a fact, HOW?

The ONLY reason I posted of ONE situation re: The Dutchess, is because I know it to be a FACT as that is how she almost ALWAYS travels. HOW do I know this? IT'S MY JOB! I also know for a fact that other celebs do the same thing.
BUT, since you seem to more about me and my life then I do, you already KNOW that!

Cat

if the celebs that dont go out there and advocate "going green", then they can do whatever they want. Drive a Prius or a suburban, fly in private jets or not, i dont care. Its the actual HYPOCRITES that claim that they are doing all they can to defend the environment that you should get mad at...and i dont think any one of these celebs have dedicated massive amounts of their time to going green...so you cant really get mad at them. They drive Priuses and recycle. Good for them. Theyre not politicians who have to stand behind every action that they take. Live and let live.

Bored at work

At least they're doing something, which is more than I can say for some people.

mathematician

TMZ can't do math. If your car gets 60 miles/gallon and you have 2100 gallons that means you can drive 120,600 miles. How about almost 5 times around the world.

Sydney

AND, they are supporting a foreign car maker too. How about buying american, you hypocrits??

Les S

I'm finally glad someone is pointing this out. These clebs seem to have selective memory. They are so two faced. They will point out what I am doing wrong, but they will do what the hell they want and act so holy.

Renee

You got it, Michael. Celebs talking out of both sides of their mouth. And Julia's mouth is big enough as it is. It's all lip service. How about they fly like Paul Newman and take the money they save and help some child in Harlem who needs it?

WHAT IS THE RUSH

I SWEAR, PEOPLE ARE SO BLINDED BY STARDOM, THEY STAND THERE SHOOTING OFF THERE MOUTHS ABOUT BUYING A CAR LIKE A PRIUS, LIKE WE ALL CAN AFFORD ONE, WHEN THEY PROBABLY GET IT FOR FREE. THEN USE 7,000 GALLONS OF GAS ON A PRIVATE FLIGHT, HELL THEY ARE ALL A BUNCH OF SPOILED ROTTEN EGO HYPOCRITS. LET THEM DRIVE THERE SUPER CAR PLACES OR USE A SOLAR POWERED CAR. WHAT A BUNCH OF CRAP. IF YOU WATCH CRIBS, THEY HAVE 5 OR 6 CARS BIG ONES ON THE DRIVE WAYS, WOULDN'T THAT MONEY FEED THE POOR IN DAFAR, OR AFRICA GEORGE, AND THE STUPID PEOPLE WHO THINK THAT IS ALL THEY OWN, YOUR NUTS, THEY OWN BENTLEY, MOTOR CYCLES ETC. SO GET OFF YOU HIGH HORSE AND OPEN UP YOUR FOGGIE EYES. THEY ARE ALL HYPOCRITS. FEED THEM, NO FEED THEM, NO HOW ABOUT THEM,
PUT YOUR CAR AND JET MONEY TO DAFAR GEORGE, THE WHOLE WORLD NEEDS HELP OR HAVEN'T YOU BEEN LISTING, SELL A CAR AND GIVE THEM THE MONEY.

WHAT IS THE RUSH

HECK YOU USE TO SEE JENNIFER LOPEZ IN A DIFFERNT CAR EVERY OTHER WEEK, AND IF PEOPLE THINK THAT IS ALL GEORGE LOONEY CLOONEY OWNS THEY ARE NOT THINKING, PEOPLE THESE ARE CELEBERTIES, THEY HAVE ALL KINDS OF CARS. MARK MY WORDS, NOT JUST ONE . WAKE THE HELL UP AND OPEN YOUR EYES, DOUBLE STANDARD LIBS AND HYPOCRITS. ALSO WITH THE TOP DOWN, SO EVEYONE CAN SEE THEM, THEN BITCH AND MOAN THEY GET FOLLOWED, THIS IS CRAP, PUT THE TOP UP.

WHAT IS THE RUSH

LOONEY CLOONEY THINKS HE IS E. F. HUTTON

WHEN HE TALKS, WE WILL ALL SAY,YES MASTER, HE IS GETTING LIKE TOM CRUISE TO ME, YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL WHEN IT IS TIME TO START RETHINKING WHO YOUR GOING TO SPEND YOUR HARD EARN MONEY ON. YOU KNOW WHAT, NO MORE ON GEORGE, BECAUSE I'M SAVING UP FOR A PRIUS GEORGE, THEN A CORVETTE. IF YOU CHECK HIS VILLA IN ITALY, I BET HE DOES NOT DRIVE A PRIUS OR A HYBRID OR A TANGO THERE, WAKE UP PEOPLE. PUSH THE BLINDERS ASIDE AND LOOK..............................................BOY HAVE THEY GOT THE PUBLIC HOODWINKED.