Madonna to Media: "Shame on You!"

10/25/2006 11:12 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Madonna swung back with visible irritation at the media coverage of her controversial adoption this morning on "Oprah," suggesting that the media is "doing a great disservice" to all African orphans by giving her story such intense coverage. In her first interview since taking in 13-month-old David Banda, her message to the people who had taken an interest in her strange adoption saga was, "Shame on you for discouraging other people from doing the same thing."

She also batted aside claims that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie had had any influence on her decision to adopt, saying that she'd never even met Angelina. She added that her new baby David had been tested for several diseases and did not appear to have HIV, even though his mother and siblings had contracted the virus.

The Queen of Pop told Oprah that she viewed the interview as an "opportunity to set the record straight." She said that, contrary to the way the story has been told in recent days by David's birth father Yohane Banda, she met Banda in court and got his legal consent to adopt the child. "He was very grateful that I was going to give his child a life," said Madonna, "and that had [David] stayed in the village he would have buried him" due to poor conditions.

Glee (I'm baaaaack)

I think madonna saying "shame on" anyone is patently hilarious. shame on you madonna for all your nasty antics in the 90s and you should be flogging yourself for life instead of chastising anyone else. the only reason she went to kaballah is so she wouldn't have to repent for her many nasty sins.

Ok

At first I thought this was great. I still think it's great that she saved a child from poverty. Even if the nanny raises him he has still been saved. BUT, on another site they say Madonna said they made up their own rules as they went along? WTF is that? She shouldn't get to make her own adoption rules.

Ok

by Confused,

Apparently Angelina followed the rules. Madonna made her own.

Jennifer Scott

Well, I personally don't think it's horrible that she's adopting this boy. I actually think it's a good thing, maybe the father understood the ramifications of his actions maybe he didn't. Either way he should be happy his boy is going to a good home, getting a first rate education and way more advatages than most American kids. I figure there are so many unwanted, poor, or abused kids in ALL countries that if someone wants to help them out more power to them. If she has an agreement to take the boy back to visit his Father then great, I don't see what the big issue is.

michelle

I was adopted from Korea by two very loving parents...they adopted me in Korea because my dad was stationed in Okinawa at the time...I for one am very glad they did not adopt a child from America because I would not have had the chance to be with this loving family...who gives a f*** why or where Madonna adopted this little boy, what matters is now he is going to have a chance at a better life..why don't some of you that are ragging on Madonna shut up and go give a child a chance at life...oops by the way some of you sound they probably wouldn't give you children...

me

everyone is caught on this idea of madonna making her own rules. it hasnt been proven that she has why does it shock people that a rich person could circumvent a system. hello people? it happens all the time. in this country rich people are paying young women for their eggs and they selective at that going to the ivy league colleges and asking for candidates with high SAT scores. knock it off with the self-righteousness.

caramel

Well put Sherlock Holmes. You couldn't have assessed it better!

TJ

HLM 10-The reason most Americans turn to overseas adoptions is for one reason: The adoption allow couples to get a child in half the time it takes to adopt here in the USA. I have friends who were on a waiting list and were told to expect a 3-5 year wait. Once they applied for an overseas adoption they had their baby within 8 months...quite a difference. It also cost them half of what the adoption agencies cost in this country. Obviously Madonna did not adopt overseas to save money but being accustomed to getting what she wants when she wants it, overseas adoption provided that for her. She should have chose a child who has no parents. So many children there have lost parents to AIDS. Surely she could have taken a child or two who was truly an orphan and not select one whose father is alive and unsure of what he wants to do.

Dakota

TMZ READERS NEED TO STOP HATING! I THINK THIS CHILD IS VERY FORTUNATE THAT MADONNA HAS ADOPTED HIM...IT VERY EASY FOR YOU PEOPLE TO JUDGE, BUT LOOK AT YOUR PATHETIC LIVES... WHAT HAVE YOU EVER DONE? IT'S TIME FOR PEOPLE TO STOP STICKING THEIR NOSES WHERE THEY DON'T BELONG.

Wicked

No, SHAME ON YOU MaDonna...you friggin asswipe.
Go plead your case to Oprah...you're both asswipes.
Can't either one of you ever do anything without all the
press coverage. NO. People see right through both
of you losers.

celeb exposed

Shame on you not on media

Sera

Honestly, I wish people could concentrate more on adopting a kid than someones life style. It's sad.
Oh !! BTW who cares about the race, just any kid will have a better future when it comes to adoption.
God Bless.
Sera.

Mel

Yes, how wonderful of Madonna to take a child away from his loving dad instead of maybe GIVING THEM SOME HELP! She wants everyone's tax money to pay for social programs for poor people but when it comes to her own pocket, she's not giving any money unless she's getting something back. Unfortunately, this time it's another child for her to ignore while she goes on tour. What a lucky kid!!

jennifer

#17 yo momma .................."Orka's questions?" Who's that -- Oprah? I heard a clip of Madonna talking from the show this morning, and I hear what people are complaining about ...... her fake british accent. But she's one big fake so why not a fake accent to go along with everything else.

Oh Canada

Madonna, why not save the whole family or village? We've all seen the commercials, “with 30 cents a day you can feed an African child”. Imagine that $10 a month could feed an entire family. Now explain to me why Madonna couldn’t provide the means so this father could feed, clothe, and educate ALL his children.
I won’t pretend to understand the circumstances that would make a parent leave their child in an orphanage; I think it must be as heartbreaking in Africa as it is in North America.
I’m all for adoption of the seemingly unwanted children in the foster care system, or children that are “real orphans”, both parents are deceased and relatives are unable or chose not to care for them.

Madonna has been one of the most self-absorbed celebrities of the last 20 years, I have never witnessed anything real from her, so I’ve never found her antics admirable. I am more than a little bothered that this spoiled-publicity-loving-disrespectful woman has found a new way to grab the spotlight. Suddenly “Ms.it’s all about me” has a big heart.
There is no doubt that this little boy will have what all children should, he will be well fed, educated, clothed, and love; hopefully as equally as her other children.

Madonna is one of the wealthiest women in the world, how ignorant is she to not have considered “SAVING THE ENTIRE FAMILY OR VILLAGE”. How much would it have cost her? Why take a child from his parent and siblings?
Madonna, you and so many don't seem to realize that Africans, Refugees, displaced peoples love their children too. They just need some help.

He’s not a puppy you “connected with” at the kennel. He's an innocent little boy with "connections of his own.