Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe

Split

10/30/2006 3:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

reese_ryan_excl_200-1Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe have separated. The couple's rep released a statement to TMZ Monday morning that says "We are saddened to announce that Reese & Ryan have decided to formally separate. They remain committed to their family and we ask that you please respect their privacy and the safety of their children at this time."

Sources tell TMZ Witherspoon has contacted celebrity divorce lawyer Robert Kaufman, who has represented Jennifer Aniston, Roseanne and Lisa Marie Presley.

reese-ryanSources say Witherspoon spoke with Kaufman about divorcing Ryan Phillippe, her husband of seven years. The couple has two children. They met at Witherspoon's 21st birthday party.

As for why Witherspoon contacted Kaufman, we're told it was not triggered by one event. Rather, one connected source says it was "cumulative."

Divorce papers have not yet been filed.

Laura

I will never understand why hollywood stars have children....they never stay together and the children are the victims. Hollywood people should just sleep with one another and leave committment and love to the rest of us!

WTF?

What a shame. These two really seemed "normal" by Hollywood standards. I really thought there was genuine love and esteem between them. They seemed to balance each other.

I hope they stay cordial for the children.

Angel

Why do Celebrities marry each other? They are almost at 95% chance of breaking up or divorcing. They should meet people outside their realm, maybe, just maybe that'll work.

brenda

Damn i certainly wish this particular couple stayed together. They always seemed happy. Well best wished on an amicable divorce at least

Cam

She used to do pagents when she was a little girl. Not many of those girls area nice. Additionally Kevin Smith, the director of Clerks had this story to tell about Reese... (direct from his blog)

Ultimately, Reese was cast instead of Joey Lauren Adams in Overnight Delivery, as New Line was grooming her for stardom. After the initial understandable bout of disappointment, Joey found peace with this decision, especially once she'd gotten Chasing Amy under her belt.

So it's a year later. We've shot Amy but it hasn't come out yet. Joey and I have seen an early cut of Overnight Delivery, and she wants to say something nice about Reese's performance to Reese -- a real stand-up gesture that you'd never catch me making, were I in her shoes. We jockey up to Reese at a party (me, quite unwillingly), and Joey tells her that she's seen the flick, and she thinks Reese was really good, adding she's glad Reese got the part when all was said and done. And how does Reese react?

She sneers at Joey. Then turns away.

Children, I wouldn't say it unless I'd witnessed it with my own two eyes. Greasy Reese Witherspoon sneered at the compliment like the third grade girl with the most Valentines sneers at the third grade girl with the second most Valentines after all the Valentines have been given out, just prior to the distribution of the holiday cupcakes. It was an ugly, ugly moment. There was no offer of even an insincere, Hollywood-type "Thanks." Merely a sneer.

Judy

I am sad that these two could not overcome their fame in order to have a family with their beautiful children. I did see it coming...when Reese received the Golden globe award and got up to receive it, Ryan slapped her on the back harder than was normal. I remember thinking that the green eyed monster had jumped up and grabbed him and contray to what some on this board think I believe that Reese is the wronged party. Ryan is not laid back, he may have an easy way with people and she may be more introverted and serious but he is obviously the guy who is physical and borders on abusive.

bill

So happy to see Ryan get away from that little rubber ducky alien face.
Cheers Ryan..best of luck with your new dating.

Nichole

For years they tried to make it work, and for years they had problems. Things have probably been worse than anyones knows for awhile. Hopefully they will be respectfult to each other

J KENNEDY

Who gives a s**t ?

Sam

I'm not at all surprised. She's been the big star and breadwinner while he's been all but forgotten. I hear he's finally got a new movie out, but I think it was probably a blow to his ego to see her career take off the way it has while his just kinda lagged.

Becky

By god why does everyone harp on Hollywood couples. Like us normal folks do much better in the marriage arena!!!

Wicked

Well, I am SHOCKED. I met Reese once at a party. She is a sweet and genuinely nice person. I know she married young...but dang, this is sad. If anybody could make it in Hollywood, I would have placed bet on those two. At any rate, I wish them both well...I think careers, or lack of...and ego's and all sorts of stuff plays a huge factor. Maybe they should have quit the business...they have enough bucks and moved back home and lived happily ever after. Success doesn't equal happiness...it makes one greedy with an overly inflated ego...get grounded Reese...you have two children now...be a family.

Me

With all the problems in our world, Who really cares about break-ups in Hollywood. Focus on the things that will effect our lives.

JL

I thought they would be the modern version of Paul Neuman and Joanne Woodward

Gee

Oh this is so sad. Living a Hollywood life can't be easy but this couple seemed to have gone beyond the barriers and made their marriage work. I hope for the sake of the children, Ava and Deacon, the parents can stay focused on parenting. So sad. Much luck to both.