Brad's Unauthorized Vanity Fair Cover

10/31/2006 7:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brad Pitt struts his stuff on the cover of December's Vanity Fair -- and TMZ has learned that no one was more surprised to see the steamy cover on stands than Brad himself.
Brad Pitt on Vanity Fair.
A source close to Pitt tells TMZ that Brad shot the photos, taken by artist Robert Wilson, in September 2005, but didn't have any idea at the time -- or anytime since -- that they would be used for the cover of VF. Pitt had agreed to be in Wilson's avant-garde video art project last year, and signed a legal release at the time for the still and video images taken in the shoot. But until the Vanity Fair cover emerged this week, Pitt didn't know that he would be the magazine's coverboy.

Reps for Vanity Fair tell TMZ, "In a letter dated October 5, 2006, and sent to Pitt care of Brillstein-Grey [Pitt's managers], Wilson informed Pitt that a still image from his portrait was going to be featured in the December art issue of Vanity Fair." A source says that Pitt never saw the letter.

Pitt's lawyers are said to be weighing their legal options. His rep gave the following statement to TMZ: "We are very disappointed that Vanity Fair has chosen to put an unauthorized cover on their magazine. It seriously makes me question their integrity and motives."

A rep for Vanity Fair tells TMZ: "Brad Pitt posed for a Robert Wilson video portrait, and in the photo release (signed by Pitt), agreed to allow Wilson to use the portrait or any images from that sitting in connection with any publicity on Brad copies his loversWilson's video project. Vanity Fair decided to do a story on Wilson's video portraits and obtained rights to the entire collection of photographs from those sittings, which included Pitt's."

Jimmy

#3: another gay sex obsessed closet case loser. Sad.

David

Than why did they let them take the pics....

Michael

I still don't get it. I see better looking men all the time and thay aren't polished and p***y whipped like he is.

Shaaron

Shae you're right, he doesn't look that great. He should be very upset.

PEPPA

HE'S A NICE LOOKING GUY, I GUESS.

BUT WHAT IS THAT TEENIE LITTLE BUMP IN HIS BOXERS ALL ABOUT ?

GO BACK AND TAKE ANOTHER LOOK SEE...... LOL

Carol

Brad is upset? This coming from a guy that sleeps with a woman who said she would rather do sex scenes with a woman over a man....Brad...you have bigger problems than being seen in your skivies!!! And all of you Brad lovers out there...like he would waste a second of time on you...Only if it put $$$'s in his pocket.

sam

Brad smokin hot. I would have guessed the guys would get mad, but sorry guys. We'd be in his bed in a heart beat if Brad came calling. I'm luckier than most, I'd never leave my sweetie but I'd love to play with this one for a while. ;->

lili

brad pitt looks better and better with age, as he matures. His style has completely matured with Ange, he is not so affected, just a NATURAL GORGEOUS MALE SPECIMEN.

He looks fantastic...so he has a few wrinkles, that happens, and he still looks fantastic.

they could have told him that they wanted to use his pic on the cover. I love VF, but they did not display professional courtesy, at all.

anyway, this sizzles, his bod is ONE FINE SPECIMEN, and God has blessed this hunk of a man....

Lynda

**BEAUTIFUL** PRINT IT!

Laurie

i'm w/you cherie on this one. i for one don't blame BP for being upset w/VF. they would HAVE to sink this low to get a cover of BP on their magazine! who can forget the boo-hoo cover story they did on J Anniston where she said he 'had a sensitivity chip missing'? Either way the cover is gorgeous, i'll probably buy the magazine because that's the closest i'll ever get to that beautiful body. i just HOPE that BP wins the oscar for Babel, the reviews have been incredible, and it will be a big UP YOURS to VF since they will NEVER land an interview w/him again! you're gorgeous brad!! love ya!!

sam

OK I'm a straight guy but I would switch teams for Bradley. Kind of brings a big tear to my eye just to see such perfection. Kiss me Brad!!

ROBIN

I love Brad Pitt....but he looks goofy in this shoot! He needs to get over himself!

sam

NO NO NO. I DID NOT POST #71. My dumb ass brother got on my PC and sent that post. Now I have to kill him. Brad's not my type! No breast, if you know what I mean!

Hal R. Hosfeld

I wouldn't kick him out of the Winnebago, if you get my meaning.

tia

OH please! Give me a break. Brad knew that he was going to be on the cover. I am sure that he got an advance copy prior to full market distribution. They are just trying to make this into a scandal so they will sell more copies and by denying that he knew about it, Pitt is going to get more publicity. No difference than celebrities who claim that their home movies were somehow stolen. Jeez, that makes us want to go out and buy a copy. Marketing scams are genius!!!!!