Madonna on Her Adoption: "People Don't Know"

10/31/2006 7:19 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

MadonnaIn an interview airing Wednesday and Thursday on "Today" and Wednesday on "Dateline NBC," Madonna tells Meredith Vieira in detail about her controversial adoption of David, a 1-year-old boy from Malawi.

When asked about the media coverage the story has received, Madonna said, "With all the chaos, pain and suffering in the world, the fact that my adoption of a child ...who was living in an orphanage, you know, was the number one story for a week in the world. To me, that says more about what...our inability to focus on the real problems. And our desire to have distractions and to be consumed with people's personal lives and gossip."

Madonna also talks about offering to help David's father financially -- an offer she says he turned down. "When I met him, I said I would be happy to facilitate with you, you know, to bring him back to your village and help you financially raise him. And he said no ... There was a lot of translation situations. And I didn't really -- I couldn't really understand that decision..."

Yesterday, TMZ posted video of Madonna carrying David through JFK airport in New York City. When asked about the red Kabbalah string David can be seen wearing, Madonna said, "Yes, he does [wear the string]. But I believe in Jesus and I study Kabbalah. So, I don't see why he can't too."

alissa

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE between Angelina Jolie adopting the two she has and Madonna adopting the one she has? NOTHING. I don't get why when Angelina adopts everyone looks at her as a humanatarian and a loving person but when Madonna does there has to be an ulterior motive. Why the double standard? Damn, whats the problem? Its the same thing.

Originalkat

Wow...now she is saying she offered to set the father up with finances and let him raise his own son and he refused. I wonder if she read TMZ and some of the posts who suggested that being a better thing to do? Hmm?
She just came up with that one because she did not mention that at all on Oprah which was her first interview on the subject.
I am sick of her "book tour" and ready for her to go back to her "private" life. It only shows that her fame and money got her the child and without the correct channels.

Originalkat

#28 Big difference. Angelina has always waited the adoption timeframe. Her sons adoption process was started when he was just a few weeks old and she didn't get him until he was about 9 mos or so. Same with her daughter. They also were real orphans.
Also Angelina gives a percentage of her income to help these poor people and one being that she started a program buying cows for families..only one per family and you raise it, use its milk and when he has an offspring it is given to another family. It is a great program.
If you will also notice Angelina use to be a very unsettled person and you can see what all her good work has done and it shows in her. My only comment to her would be..mend your relationship with your father. He needs to be in your life and your childrens life. I hope she can get past her problems with him because parents are not around forever.

gettheboysawayfromher

Madonna has a beautiful voice and her talent stops there. She is a pig at best. She as Jolie are doing this for publicity nothing more. We have children in our own country who need parents oh say from Katrina, what about the Tsunima if they want to go out of the country so badly. They are fakes. They want people to think they are kind and lovely and they re not. I dont think the father of the baby that Madonna took even wants her to have the baby. She went thru no legal procedures. She thinks she can get whatever she wants. She is a pig and is a slut for sure. Her husband must be a saint.

Michael

Now can we let her quietly raise her kids as she has always done in the past? And give her some credit for saving one small boy from a very sad and probably very short life.

Wendi

Hey JFP-

Learn to spell! Cloths=CLOTHES Nanny's= NANNIES.

I am not a Madonna fan. HOWEVER- I think a lot of this controversy has been fueled by conflicting press reports, and I somehow doubt we have heard much truth from anybody.

What irritates me the most is why people are criticizing Madonna for adopting a foriegn child as opposed to a US child. Technically, she lives in London most of the time, so even though she is American,if she adopted a US child, she still would be adopting a foriegn child. The fact is, she saved a child, PERIOD. This little boy is no less important than a child from the US, UK, wherever. Madonna is right about one thing: this should not be the most important story, there is so much more going on in this world that we should be concerned about.

Whatever

Madonna is a joke. She dosen't read the news or watch the tv? Please. This old untalented goat is just trying to get her name back in the media. Pathetic.

jfp

sure....when you learn how to spell "foreign"... wendi, or should that be wendy.

besides, one(clothes) was just a typo and the other(nanny's) was acceptable.

what kind of twit checks spelling on a message board anyway?

gettheboysawayfromher

anything for a comeback, i feel so sorry for david and his dad, the dad did not want to let him go, how could she t ake him, she is about as sincere as jolie, two sluts from the getto.

Tommie

MOST OF THE HATEFUL COMMENTS ON HERE ABOUT MADONNA ADOPTING THIS BLACK CHILD FROM MALAWI IS SIMPLY COMING FROM THE ONES WITH RACIST ATTITUDES. THEY ARE NOT FOOLING ANYBODY, BUT THEY WILL SAY OTHER REASONS WHY THEY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MADONNA ADOPTING THIS CHILD.
BECAUSE I CAN'T SEE THE AVERAGE PERSON GETTING SO RILED UP ABOUT SOMEONE BEING ADOPTED WHEN THERE ARE SO MANY MORE CRITICAL AND IMPORTANT THINGS IN THE WORLD TO BE CONCERED ABOUT, PLUS I'M SURE THAT THEY HAVE GOT A LOT OF CLEANING UP TO DO IN THEIR OWN BACKYARDS THAT THEY SHOULD BE CONCERED ABOUT. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND GOD KNOWS WHO YOU ARE AND IF WE COULD SEE THROUGH OUR COMPUTER SCREENS, THE WORLD WOULD KNOW WHO/WHAT YOU ARE!

jfp

tedious and excessive moralizing morons type in all caps

way to go, you uncovered our little secret

everyone that criticizes madonna is a racist.

those voices in your head want you back on your medication.

Tommie

TO#40
ONCE AGAIN YOU AND I BOTH KNOW THAT IT'S REALLY NOT MADONNA THAT YOUR KIND IS CRITICIZING, BUT IT IS THE FACT THE SHE ADOPTED AN AFRICAN (BLACK CHILD.) IT DOESN'T TAKE A MORON TO FIGURE THAT OUT.
SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS, DOESN'T IT? AND UNFORTUNATELY THE LAST I HEARD IS THAT THERE IS NO KNOWN MEDICATION OR CURE THAT CAN HELP YOUR KIND. ALTHOUGH EXORCISM JUST MIGHT HELP.

jfp

(... IT DOESN'T TAKE A MORON TO FIGURE THAT OUT)

thank goodness we had one on hand.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3