No Prenup

In Witherspoon-Phillippe

Split

11/1/2006 3:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

reese_ryan_excl_getty_200-1TMZ has learned that Reese Witherspoon's fortune is fair game as her marriage to Ryan Phillippe comes to an end-- specifically, there is no prenup.

The financial consequences are enormous. Witherspoon now commands $20 million a movie. In 2005, Witherspoon raked in a total of $30 million for two movies, "Just Like Heaven" and "Walk the Line."

Phillippe has been commanding around $2.5 million a film, making him bankable, but clearly not in his estranged wife's league.reese-ryan

Under California law, without a prenup, earnings during a marriage are divided up 50/50.

Connected sources also tell TMZ on a scale of one to ten, one being a peaceful breakup and ten being Hasselhoff, the Witherspoon/Phillippe split is a three. And, we're told, it will almost certainly stay peaceful, partly because of the children and partly because of the couple's personalities.

We're told there is no talk of reconciliation and that divorce papers are merely a matter of time.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

J

If the shoe was on the other foot,you know what would happen!!!!!!!

wink

another hollywoodland split .........not really on my priorty list

wink

Reese will carry on with her career and I'm sure he'll do fine back on the french fry line at Mickey D !

Robert

I'd like to take Reese Whitherspoon to bed....:)

Tico

Idiots... California is a no-fault state when it comes to divorce laws. That's why not having a prenup will matter regardless of the reason for the divorce!

Hello Kitty

They should have had a prenup.

If he really did cheat on her then I don't think they should split 50/50. Even if he did not cheat on her it should not be 50/50. I've never like how women or men who did not help earn most the money.. yet they want to try and take it from the person that did.

Debra Diehl

I'm sure that the guy will not starve or lack of a place to sleep. A classy man would not want money that his wife has earned or the other way around as well. She is a classy woman and I cannot see her wanting a huge sum of child support from him. Despite his cheating.

D

the only reason why most of you women not saying all,bitch about him getting 1/2 is that apparently you've had a similar problem and are showing your true side about 85% of women ar money hungry and some are right here talking,give the man what he deserves no more no less but i bet some of you would cut a mans throat first just to if he would bleed the color of money,some of you are about useless because "i live a life style that i wouldnt change for the world so feed my habbit" then you break the poor sucker and demand more money,then he's back in the arear's owing you in which case you will never see for a long time and if at all,so get off your hi whores and get on with your life find some thing else to get your fat couch potato ass off the couch and stop being a peg bundy and leave the bon-bons alone OK,and for the rest of you lovely ladies you all are great in my book for not acting like them win or lose you guys show great support in any life!

Dan

Bitter much???? Whoa!!!

Danica

This is truly a shock - Ryan and Reese have always been together.

Nikkita

i think there should be a split 50/50. i do remember them saying ryan took a break from his career to raise the kids. now some can argue that his career was not on the ups but so what, there are always some tiny roles out there to make money. but i hope they keep it civil for the kids. they werre a cute couple. I think the woman sucess in a relationship is a big part especially if the man is in the same field. but i know alot of these stars put fame above marriage and family. my husband is the most important think to me and my kids so know job or anyone else comes before them. look at Oprah she is filty rich sucessful and the most admirable woman in the world, but at what cost no husband no children. when your old and grey those dogs can only do so much!

Nikkita

i hope freddie and sarah michelle are not next !!!!!

annie

He may be a crud for allegedly cheating but I have seen countless photos of him taking care of his kids. That makes a big difference to me. If they are going to continue to do the equal exchange with the kids the way they did while married and both working than I feel he should definitely get a chunk. Maybe not half. I'm in the middle of a divorce with three kids and barely any money. My ex did very little to help out with the kids and does even less now. I can honestly say that if I had money and he was helping I'd feel it was deserved he received plently...Poor Reese, I know what you're going through honey. Though having millions would sure make it a whole lot easier I venture to say....Bless her heart.

Punkin

I'm so sad to see Reese and Ryan part. However, when she won the Oscar award, I knew it was just a matter of time. For some reason, men in the same profession as their wives, just can't handle the wife being more successful than they are. It's an ego thing or some sort of jealousy. It takes a strong man to stay in a relationship like that, and unfortunately Ryan isn't one of them. So, it doesn't surprise me that the female he's cheating with isn't his equal financially, yet. It's unfortunate that there is no pre-nup because Ryan doesn't deserve half of her earnings. I don't say that because I'm a female, but rather because he was dishonest and unfaithful in the relationship. Hopefully, that will be taken into account during the divorce and the splitting of finances.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6