Van Halen's New Bassist? Eddie's Boy Wonder!

11/2/2006 8:05 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Van Halen has finally found its new bassist -- and it looks like the rock gods are keeping the band a family affair.
Van Halen has a new bassist
TMZ is first to confirm that Van Halen has hired 15-year-old Wolfgang Van Halen -- the son of guitarist Eddie Van Halen and estranged wife Valerie Bertinelli, and nephew of drummer Alex Van Halen -- as the new bassist for the band.

Wolfgang replaces longtime bassist Michael Anthony, who left the band earlier this year. Eddie Van Halen's spokesperson Janie Liszewski tells TMZ that Wolfgang, known as "Wolfie," has already joined his dad and uncle for rehearsals in the studio for a 2007 summer tour. Wolfie played dates with his father during the band's 2004 tour, and the song "316" on 1991's "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge," was named for Wolfie's birth date that same year.

The band is still without a lead singer, despite rumors that David Lee Roth might rejoin.

Roc Skyler

Your kidding me right? A little fat kid is joining the rock icon into a legendary summer tour in 2007. What a slap in the face to Mikey! The drama goes on.... but Eddie has totally lost his mind.

Misty

I wonder if Wolfie's any good?

Kev Corbett

Eddie Van Halen's a crack whore. F***.

Craig Parker

It's interesting why Eddie Van Halen finds it amusing to destroy his reputation and his bands reputation (or what's left of it) by continuing to make a mockery of this once thriving rock band. The fans can only take so much. First Roth quits, and hires Sammy Hagar. That could of been a disaster but they silenced many critics of Hagar by putting out some solid albums. Then Hagar quits (or gets pushed out) then Roth is re-hired (sort of) then re-fired, and then Gary Cherone is the man with the mic. We all know how that turned out. So after Cherone wisely jumps ship we get five years of silence and only the odd update of Eddie's battle with cancer. Then Hagar comes back in 2004 to tour with them. Then Hagar quits again because he realizes Eddie is still a drunk lunatic. Now we might see Roth again and his son has taken over as the bass player. Any fans still left on the wagon have just jumped off for good. What a waste of talent. It would of been interesting to what this band could have done if they had stuck with Sammy Hagar ( who was really the best of all three lead singers) all these wasted years. Maybe their induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame would have come a lot sooner than later. Because "Right Now" a lot of people have stopped caring.
What a shame.

DEBBIE RIDER

HELLO-
I HOPE WOLFIE DOES GOOD--I WOULD SEE THEM IN CONCERT-

jcollins

I am heartbroken over the thought of a Van Halen without Michael Anthony. I have stood by these guys through three singers, but I refuse to see the band without Mike. I saw the 2004 tour here in Houston at the Toyota Center, and it was a joke. I watched my hero, Edward Van Halen, play as sloppy and .... damn It hurts to even talk about this. I NEVER wanna say anything bad about Ed! He's my hero!!! But the guy played like sh*t, and let me tell ya, my ticket WAS NOT CHEAP! Now DLR... are we supposed to fall for this again? They have teased us for long enough with that rumor. Van Halen, give your fans what they deserve; a new album and tour with the original lineup. No fights, no children in the band, just our favorite band playing our favorite songs. Is that too much to ask for?!?

Your loyal fan for life,

John Collins

shredaholic

The saddest thing about wishing for this reunion with Dave is that he sounds like crap. Try to find a youtube video of DLR singing live. How old it is doesn't really matter too much but a recent one will tell the story. Dave's voice is well past it's prime. He's brings the show but not much else. Combine that with the sodden Edward Van Halen's sloppy, tired guitar playing and there aren't many reasons to buy a ticket to this show, regardless of who's on (first) bass. The nostalgic scene of the great Van Halen we love will always best be rekindled by putting on your favorite VH recording and turning it all the way up.

KnarfO

Wolfie on Bass? Cool. Just don't call it Van Halen.

Lead singers have come and gone in this band, but to force Mike Anthony out like this so Ed can pretend he's spending quality time with his son is lame. Might as well call up Michael Jackson to do lead vocals, because that's the kind of circus this is turning into.

See you all on Jerry Springer...

SongSpell

Sad....Eddie....You had it all and blew it all. You held rock in the palm of one hand, and a life of love beyond compare in the other and you just didn't get it. No matter how well you might play now, I would never want to see you again until you can stand up on that stage as a Man. No matter how much money you have, no matter how many people call you the God of Guitar....until you are right with the people who really matter...you're just another tweeker on the street. Stand up and walk the line...give Wolfie something real to follow......

VanHalenSuperFan

Putting aside the potential rock value, there is a fascinating father/son pattern playing out here.

Ed and Al's father Jan was also a musician, and also an alcoholic. He used to bring his sons out on stage with him when they were young prodigies.

Ed has said in several interviews that the person he most wanted to play for was his dad, who by the way sacrificed a successful career in Europe to move the family to California and had to take dishwashing and janitor jobs while struggling to score gigs. Their dad gave himself up for his family and I think the sons have been trying to make it up to him ever since. (He died in '87, due to drinking, sending Ed into a funk I think he never got out of)

It's a family affair. Let's hope Wolfie doesn't pick up the drinking and the drugging.

Caroline C. Warren

I Love Van Halen. Eddie is the best guitar player. This family is so talented in so many ways in so many different areas. How could they possibly go wrong with another Van Halen? Good Luck Wolfie!

Joe

Original VH was the greatest band of all time (well, up there with Soundgarden, LZ, and the Police). Diamond Dave and Eddie tearing it up! Unfortunately, never got to see the original band live. Saw them separately soon after the breakup, and both put on great shows. Being a guitar player myself, EVH will always be the greatest guitarist in my book (go back and listen to Spanish Fly, Little Guitars, all of Women and Children First and Fair Warning) and you'll remember why. Haven't been a fan of the band since after the first couple of Sammy albums (which I did like). Too bad about Eddie though. He really seems a mess and I haven't cared a damn about his playing/songwriting in ages. I guess booze/drugs doesn't always make for better music. As far as seeing them live with his son or Diamond Dave again, no go for me.

ruttster

VH got me laid many times in the 80's and 90's. I will always remember them for the love I had for them and The love they got for me!!!
They don't have much of a future so remember the good times cause they were incredible.

czb

Eddie and Alex have proven themselves to be greedy a-holes for screwing over Michael Anthony and doing a half-ass reunion tour with Sammy solely for the purpose of money. They've both lost all integrity. Eddie stated that he and Alex are the 2 halves of Van Halen, not Sammy and Michael Anthony (The Other Half).
I don't recall he and Alex ever recording an album without a singer or bass player. When Roth left, they didn't record an instrumental album, they hired Sammy. Eddie sounds pretty insecure these days, almost paranoid. Alex is an excellent drummer, but replaceable.
I feel sorry for Wolfgang as I'm sure he'll take up his dad's drinking habit. Eddie sets a sh*tty example as a father. Eddie uses his son more as a sideshow. Wolfgang is starting his musical career in Dad's shadow rather than playing the club scene where most musicians hone their skills. Kid's gonna have problems down the road.

Tony

All I can say is if they go on tour with Dave back on board I will have to close my eyes at the show and just listen to the music, because watching them will be very sad,
unfortunately all that money and luxury from being a rock star did not help these guys age well.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments