Britney Spears

Files for Divorce

11/7/2006 5:47 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Britney Spears has filed a petition for divorce from Kevin Federline.
Divorce
TMZ obtained the legal papers, filed today in Los Angeles County Superior Court, citing "irreconcilable differences." In her petition, Spears asks for both legal and physical custody of the couple's two children, one-year old Sean Preston and two-month old Jayden James, with Federline getting reasonable visitation rights.

As for money, sources tell TMZ the couple, who married in Oct. 2004, has an iron-clad prenup. Not surprisingly, Spears is waiving her right to spousal support. She's also asking the judge to make each party pay their own attorney's fees.

Spears gives the date of separation as yesterday, the same day she flaunted her incredible revamped physique during a surprise appearance on David Letterman's show. Sources tell TMZ there was no single reason for Britney pulling the plug, rather, it was "a string of events."

Spears has hired powerhouse celebrity divorce lawyer Laura Wasser, who has repped a number of celebs, including Angelina Jolie, Nick Lachey and Kiefer Sutherland. We're told Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe asked Wasser to rep both of them in their split, but Wasser declined for personal reasons.

Significantly, Britney lists the date of her marriage as October 6, 2004. There was an uproar around the time of the wedding because the highly publicized "secret" ceremony was held on Sept. 18th, leading many to question the validity of the ceremony. Now the divorce documents indicate that the lavish ceremony was not the official wedding.

Click to read the petition for divorce documents.
Click to read the documents!

SUN

Why would any one in their right mind wear a short dress and no panties? Do we really want to see that? As a mother, I would never put myself out there like that. Hey- you may not like panties, but dont wear a short dress.

I think she has lost her mind. Now, hanging out with the biggest air-heads around?

I think we were all fooled by Britney. Thinking she was this poor, sweet lil country girl. Her true colors have been coming out ever since she cheated on Justin.

Sarah

OK, I know I'm a bit late chiming in on this. I have just been reading comments at work because I'm bored.....and now I am appalled. I, as I see most are, am very happy for Britney, especially since it was very clear on the Matt Lauer interview & the reports that they haven't been speaking for awhile, that things were not working out. I'm glad that she had the guts to do it & get on with her career. But I am sad for the children, as a child of divorce I know that it is tough. At least the kids are young & hopefully not too scarred. I just can't believe how many people are sitting here talking sh*t on Kevin Federline like they know him. I'm pretty sure that nobody has met him & I'm also fairly sure that Britney wouldn't have half the bad things to say about him- and she was married to him! So quit believing EVERYTHING you read/see about people & realize that celebrities are PEOPLE too! PLEASE & THANK YOU!

Sarah

And.....wow.....5th of November. I suppose you believe EVERY conspiracy theory out there? I"m a Democrat as well, but just not so paranoid. So, put down the pipe & settle down. Not everyone is out to get you or the Democrats. =0)

Anonymous

My goodness! Britney should have known that Kevin would be up to no good; he walked out on Shar while she was pregnant! I knew sooner or later he would stick it to Britney and she got what she deserve; I didn't like the comment she made about starting "their own" family as soon as as she was hitched to 'ole K-Fed. She had no respect for Shar Jackson's feelings. How could you boast about a man like K-Fed. Britney said she had kissed alot of Frogs before she met her Prince. Sorry to break it to you Britney, but you're still kissing Frogs! I have to give Shar some praise, she held her head up and kept smiling. Maybe she knew something like this wouldn't last always.

Anonymous

What happened to Britney Spears? Before she met Kevin Federline she was one tough chic on the music scene. I totally digged her style and performance on stage.

Britney should have never hooked up with Kevin. He was only using her for her money and Britney should have never bought his loving. So far, He was her biggest downfall.

I'm glad she left him! But, now she has 2 kids, she look all trashed out and country, and she's beginning to talk like a back in the woods hick. Kevin turned her out!

Britney pick yourself up and bring yourself back to life. I want to rock out to the songs of Britney Spears!! You know, the girl we once knew.

Jeremiah

Am I the only one that realizes that she sucks as much as he does? The only reason she is famous is she put her lips on the right producer's jimmy. I realize I am guilty of wasting time by posting this, but I'm so sick of hearing about this, I have to get it off of my chest. Without a label, producer, marketing, mtv, blah blah blah, she is just another mediocre dancer with a decent body who can't really sing. die.

Phemail

Wow, interesting that the only ones acting with any dignity are Federlines Ex Shar and Brittany's ex Jason.

Jenny

Thank the lord jesus, Now she should go and try to get back with Justin!!!!!!

solai

OMG everyone is saying about time Britney dumped K-fed, but hello she has two kids with him now!! She was as much of a loser as he is, so in the end they belong together, shes just as trashier as he is!! now shes partying with trashy Paris...my gosh she goes from one loser to another! Dont know what everyone sees in Britney. She is TRASH HARD OUT! and should stay home and look after her babies!! the retard!

Selord

Britney definitely needs a divoce, just take a look at these explict pics:

joseph armand

whenever i think of k fed i think of the music to the vonage commercial, cause he is the biggest joke in the western hemisphere. ha ha ha ha...........

SUN

Justin, wouldnt wipe his ass on Britney. She is used meat! I think he is very happy with his present girl.

I think if Britney is to have any hope to re-establish her career, she should stay away from the two biggest air-heads in Hollywood, Nicole and Paris, and Lindsey is not behind. Britney, is a mom now, she should get a classier set of friends with higher priorities.

The only priorities these girls have are ; the newest shade of lip-stick that is coning out.

Midway

Britney is THE sexiest vixen alive. And with her riches, she may do whatever she wants.

jammie

I HATE BRIT , NOW HER KIDS ARE FATHERLESS,I HATE THE WAY HER AND K-FED DID SHAR JACKSON.I HOPE THE BOTH OF THEM NEVER FIND A SOULMATE. POOR KID'S GOD BLESS THEM.

smark