Britney Spears

Files for Divorce

11/7/2006 5:47 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Britney Spears has filed a petition for divorce from Kevin Federline.
Divorce
TMZ obtained the legal papers, filed today in Los Angeles County Superior Court, citing "irreconcilable differences." In her petition, Spears asks for both legal and physical custody of the couple's two children, one-year old Sean Preston and two-month old Jayden James, with Federline getting reasonable visitation rights.

As for money, sources tell TMZ the couple, who married in Oct. 2004, has an iron-clad prenup. Not surprisingly, Spears is waiving her right to spousal support. She's also asking the judge to make each party pay their own attorney's fees.

Spears gives the date of separation as yesterday, the same day she flaunted her incredible revamped physique during a surprise appearance on David Letterman's show. Sources tell TMZ there was no single reason for Britney pulling the plug, rather, it was "a string of events."

Spears has hired powerhouse celebrity divorce lawyer Laura Wasser, who has repped a number of celebs, including Angelina Jolie, Nick Lachey and Kiefer Sutherland. We're told Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe asked Wasser to rep both of them in their split, but Wasser declined for personal reasons.

Significantly, Britney lists the date of her marriage as October 6, 2004. There was an uproar around the time of the wedding because the highly publicized "secret" ceremony was held on Sept. 18th, leading many to question the validity of the ceremony. Now the divorce documents indicate that the lavish ceremony was not the official wedding.

Click to read the petition for divorce documents.
Click to read the documents!

Matt

I Gotta say Britney: FUCK YEAH!!!!

vness_12

It's about d@mn time! I mean it sux having to go thru a divorce no matter who you are but I am sooooo glad she is finally cutting off that herb a$$.

JENNIFER

OMG!! IS THIS FOR REAL?? IT IS ABOUT TIME!

U Know Who

WOW!

I find this actually a bit shocking myself. I had hoped she married him for all the right reasons in her heart.

I doubt he goes broke, since as we know he walks away with 10MILLION, in the pre-nup.

Wow

wewearshort-shorts

OMG-is this for real?? All I can say is that IT'S ABOUT TIME!! Maybe now that Brit is having the hemmoroid (a.k.a. Kevin F.) removed from her ass, she can finally get her career back. I just hope she takes care of her kids too...

T

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!! I didnt expect this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

laura s

It is about time. Now Brit can get on with her life.

Wicked1

About time that dumbass Britney dumped him but now she has TWO kids with a loser father! How proud she must be! Dumbass!

Rubes

After 2 bastard kids later - - - -About time you bubble gum popping wanna be adult

SamSam

As usual, TMZ is the first to break the story! Nice work and thank goodness. Sux that she has to be a single mom to 2 kids now but better off nonetheless.

spin sycle

*wipes tear* Brit, I hope this is true, I'm so proud of you for getting your head and yourself put together! Remember that you matter! GO BRIT!

pissed off at the system

Finally she figured it out. Sorry K-Fed no more free ride for you. Maybe now she can break out of this trailer park image with this idiot out of the picture. All may not be over for K-Fag he looks like he's trying to break into the WWE - I hope he gets his ass kicked!

n

ha ha ha ha ha hahahahha haha ha hHA HA ha ha, it's about time, brit!!!

Tasha

Is this for real?

Leatherpants

That'da girl! Don't forget to get your credit cards back!