Britney Spears

Files for Divorce

11/7/2006 5:47 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Britney Spears has filed a petition for divorce from Kevin Federline.
Divorce
TMZ obtained the legal papers, filed today in Los Angeles County Superior Court, citing "irreconcilable differences." In her petition, Spears asks for both legal and physical custody of the couple's two children, one-year old Sean Preston and two-month old Jayden James, with Federline getting reasonable visitation rights.

As for money, sources tell TMZ the couple, who married in Oct. 2004, has an iron-clad prenup. Not surprisingly, Spears is waiving her right to spousal support. She's also asking the judge to make each party pay their own attorney's fees.

Spears gives the date of separation as yesterday, the same day she flaunted her incredible revamped physique during a surprise appearance on David Letterman's show. Sources tell TMZ there was no single reason for Britney pulling the plug, rather, it was "a string of events."

Spears has hired powerhouse celebrity divorce lawyer Laura Wasser, who has repped a number of celebs, including Angelina Jolie, Nick Lachey and Kiefer Sutherland. We're told Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe asked Wasser to rep both of them in their split, but Wasser declined for personal reasons.

Significantly, Britney lists the date of her marriage as October 6, 2004. There was an uproar around the time of the wedding because the highly publicized "secret" ceremony was held on Sept. 18th, leading many to question the validity of the ceremony. Now the divorce documents indicate that the lavish ceremony was not the official wedding.

Click to read the petition for divorce documents.
Click to read the documents!

Roger

This is what our news today shows all the bad things and never the truth ,so from this our children are learning ,press and there sickness..Congrads to EW and the cooler worst act yet Your Magazine fits in with the Rolling Stones not worth the time to read seems better to save a tree...

Aurora

Congratulations Britney, he's a looser

Felipe Rose -Native American Indian of Village People

Good lord there are more serious things going on in the world, and in Britney's world, she is still young, and contuine growing. I like her more as an artist, then knowing about her private life.

Even still, it's about her children, right? Not her.

Still, good luck to both of them.

OMG

One word: KARMA!

What in the world would make Britney think, he would treat her any different from Shar? He left her & their kids, as if they never happend and now it's come back to bite her in the butt. Best of luck to her now that she's seen the light!! God bless!

Toni

I I think what Britney did is about time . Not even sure why she married him in the first place I hope that the money he gets from the marriage is eaten up in leagle fees and child saport for all 5 of his kids .I hope that this is the last we here of K Fed because I for one am fed up . Good luck Britney and I'm glad you smartened up.
Toni in barneget NJ

JWeddO

..."Ooops!"...bet dat bitch won't do it again! Hahahahhahaaa!

CORNBREADJABO

go kevin, you hit the prize and then threw it back. let someone else pick through your garbadge. hahahah, and made money doing it. hahahahaah

Chris

Dude all you had to do was keep her happy, roll around the sheets with her and keep your mouth shut.
But you had to think that you were just as good or even better then her, well here's to you and your $3Million from the Pre-Nup, next time just keep your mouth shut and quite acting like your famous when your not.

You Ass!

Gina

Thank god! That guy was not cute! I didnt think they made a good couple at all! I just feel sorry for the children to have parents like them AND now they are going to be thrown from one bad situation to the next! "K-Fed" washed Britney right up....career and all! lol No more shopping sprees for that loser "K-Fed" and now Britney gets to say she has 2 children from a loser (clearly).

Roger

yell I'm for real and your just ah mouth and a ugly one at that You sunk and worthless trash

JT

Way to go Britney!!! So dinner?

Ashley

dont u guys notice that 98 out of 100 pix of kevin r with beer and cigarete? i mean cmon......he drink, parties, CANT RAP, and he was a back up dancer........i mean it was even low for britney 2 even merry him....he is a wanna-be-rapper-ex backup dancer who should b put in jail 4 just being who he is.....

Hailey

It makes me sad kind of but whatever if it makes Britney happier good for her. I don't think Kevin is a bad guy just kind of unintelligent.

Nikki 15

This doesn't surprise me one bit. I knew Britney would get sick of that gold-digging loser eventually. I'm just surprised it happened so quickly.

Augustus

This is just another shark feeding frenzy. I hope He gets the custody. She just married him lately. Did she know what she was doing? If she didn't than she is not stable enought to raise the children. I wouldn't want to have mother like her. Good luck K-fed.

Previous 15 Comments | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments