Britney Spears

Files for Divorce

11/7/2006 5:47 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Britney Spears has filed a petition for divorce from Kevin Federline.
Divorce
TMZ obtained the legal papers, filed today in Los Angeles County Superior Court, citing "irreconcilable differences." In her petition, Spears asks for both legal and physical custody of the couple's two children, one-year old Sean Preston and two-month old Jayden James, with Federline getting reasonable visitation rights.

As for money, sources tell TMZ the couple, who married in Oct. 2004, has an iron-clad prenup. Not surprisingly, Spears is waiving her right to spousal support. She's also asking the judge to make each party pay their own attorney's fees.

Spears gives the date of separation as yesterday, the same day she flaunted her incredible revamped physique during a surprise appearance on David Letterman's show. Sources tell TMZ there was no single reason for Britney pulling the plug, rather, it was "a string of events."

Spears has hired powerhouse celebrity divorce lawyer Laura Wasser, who has repped a number of celebs, including Angelina Jolie, Nick Lachey and Kiefer Sutherland. We're told Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe asked Wasser to rep both of them in their split, but Wasser declined for personal reasons.

Significantly, Britney lists the date of her marriage as October 6, 2004. There was an uproar around the time of the wedding because the highly publicized "secret" ceremony was held on Sept. 18th, leading many to question the validity of the ceremony. Now the divorce documents indicate that the lavish ceremony was not the official wedding.

Click to read the petition for divorce documents.
Click to read the documents!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

functionfiveapparel.com

Big surprise!

Marriages need to have more guidelines these days, especially for celebs!

I bet only 5% of celeb marriages last more than 10 years!

and all the republicans and bible thumpers are worried that "gay marriage would take away the sanctity of marriage".... puh-lease!

theslayer316

welcome back britney!!

She_Wolf

Hey,

Can anyone tell me how to add my comments WITHOUT having to resort to going back and forth in my silly email in order to "activate" my posts all the time?

Thank you! :)

She_Wolf

Hello,

Is there some other way that I can add my comments WITHOUT having to resort to going back and forth in my silly email in order to "activate" my posts all the time?

Thank you! :)

SUN

Britney, its about time you came to your senses. You had a good man Justin, but you fooled around on him and he dumped you. Everything we do we will experience in this life.

How could you possibly think this punk would stay with you? He already had one child and another on the way. Why would any one in their right mind marry a man while his other girl is pregnant??? Think about this.

I am glad Britney has seen the light. Too bad this thug has cost her tons of money on his lavish lifestyle. At least she got two beautiful kids out of him. Dont ever do a Whitney on us again. Leave the bad boys alone.

Angel Gulick

Well, in the true spirit of trailer park trash, Brittney did just as expected. She married a looser, popped out two kids in less than two years and now is going to be a single mother. She's a lousy parent....she lied about her boob job (check out the latest pictures of her....you'll see what I mean- gross!) and now we are all supposed to be on her side and hope that Kevin doesn't get any of her money. All I have to say is, born white trash, always white trash. I feel sorry for her kids. She is so clueless it's not even funny. She obviously is not capable of making a responsible decision and obviously has not surrounded her self with people who can do so either. It's a shame!

sylvia

k fed was just useing her any way about time she woke up i wouldnt of messed with a broke mf any way now he will probly go back to his other baby mama

Somewhere in Washington State

I think it's really quite sad that people don't weigh their choices for a marriage partner more seriously...then decide to just throw them away later when they get tired of them...and celebrities are no different! Another one bites the dust!!!

Kat

It's been what - 3 weeks since she filed for divorce AND custody of her two boys. What is she thinking running around every single night partying it up with Paris and everyone else under the sun? This is someone who has filed for custody of two small children?? (including a newborn!!!!!!) Where exactly are the children? Nice Britney. Keep partying - it's great for your image which apparently is more important than your children. Yeah, you deserve to have custody.

Lisa Carol

I feel verrrry sorry for little miss Spears...she fell for a complete LOSER! I can only say that it is fortunate that she has realized this a lot sooner than Whitney realized the same about Bobby! I am glad to see that Britney is keeping herself occupied as no matter what kind of jerk-loser it is, love still hurts! It's ok Britney, once the pain is gone, you can be free and find true love with someone whom deserves you!

Lisa Carol

Kevin is a complete loser! Britney now needs to get her life back to where it was before she met the idiot! I don't think partyin' is the answer....not for a young single mother of two whom is trying to get full custody. Snap to girl, go spend your money of vacations and relaxation paradises!!!!!!!!!!!

victoria mcgahee

hey i think the press should stay out of britneys busness even if she does go parting
even tho i like the gossip lol

MICHELLE

I DONT THINK BRIT CAN MAKE UP HER DUMBASS MIN OR HEART, SHES NOT A GOOD MOM, SHE JUST WANTED KIDS TO MAKE JUSTIN JEALOUS...U C HOW WELL THAT WORKED. I THINK K-FED HAS THE RIGHT TO GET CUSTODY OF THOSE BOYS, U LIVE IN LA BRIT NOT THE COUNTRY ANYMORE U CANT DRIVE A BABY ON YOUR LAP STUPIDASS!!!!! ITS UR OWN FAULT. THE WHOLE WORLD COULD C IT COMIN. WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR MORALS & VALUES

Newman

that Brit, what a stupid nutsuckin whore.....damn, betcha mamma and daddy are real proud of her. hate it for her kids, they gotta grow up one day and find out their mom is a slut and super stupid. she just got lucky. had it not be for her break she would be living in the project waiting for some guys to bring her cigarettes and pampers and a gallon of milk. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! I tell ya, I wish she lived next door....I'd burn her ass with a cigarette. Work some of that fat off her big ass. Trashy bitch.

meg

Keep up the partying Brit and you will lose your kids. Smarten up and behave like a mother with 2 children and wear some underwear. Don't you have any morals ?your children will see these pictures some day. YUCK !!! I also feel sorry for your mother but then she has to love you ???Meg

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments