'Kramer's' Racist Tirade

Caught on Tape

11/20/2006 10:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

WARNING: WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO SEE IS PROFANE AND RACIAL

Michael Richards exploded in anger as he performed at a famous L.A. comedy club last Friday, hurling racial epithets that left the crowd gasping, and TMZ has obtained exclusive video of the ugly incident.

Richards, who played the wacky Cosmo Kramer on the hit TV show "Seinfeld," appeared onstage at the Laugh Factory in West Hollywood. Kyle Doss, an African-American, told TMZ he and some friends were in the cheap seats and he was playfully heckling Richards when suddenly, the comedian lost it.

The camera started rolling just as Richards began his attack, screaming at one of the men, "Fifty years ago we'd have you upside down with a f***ing fork up your ass."

Richards continued, "You can talk, you can talk, you're brave now motherf**ker. Throw his ass out. He's a nigger! He's a nigger! He's a nigger! A nigger, look, there's a nigger!"

The crowd is visibly and audibly confused and upset. Richards responds by saying, "They're going to arrest me for calling a black man a nigger."

One of the men who was the object of Richard's tirade was outraged, shouting back "That's un-f***ing called for, ain't necessary."

After the three-minute tirade, it appears the majority of the audience members got up and left in disgust.

Attempts to reach Richards' reps were unsuccessful.

Richards Racial Rant -- Play Video

Tyler Noone

What the hell is the matter with black people, can't stand a white guy calling them "nigger". LOLOLOLOLOLOL that is so funny. You can call me "cracker ass" LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL all day long, or what the hell ever. Who gives a shit what others call you, get a life! I think this is so childish that I can't stand it. BOO! HOO! what the fuck, cry me a river. The poor black guy was called a nigger, so the fuck what. If blacks are so sensitive they should stay inside. There are racist people even if they don't say the "N" word LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Richards called them a nigger because he knew it would hurt them and not because he is a racist. I said nigger too and so do black people, so give me a break. It is just a word who everyone uses, even black people.

SHUT THE FUCK UP AND DANCE!!!

Ken

This is truly disturbing. The ironic thing is, the person ( Mr.Richards) may be forgiven and this may fade away in due time, but the hatred of the character
( Kramer) he portrayed may be the one that suffers. That being said, I've seen a few posters say that certain comics use the N-word freely. Well, in my view, when someone like Dave Chapelle uses it, he is doing so with the intent of mocking the stupidity of those who create the stereotypes of each race or religion. There is humor to that when done in a polished, filtered manner. Lisa Lampanelli does so towards each race with a fury, but her audience is diverse, clearly reflectiing the fact that these are people who get the difference between humor expressed in a semi-insulting way, and uncontrollable hatred in the same forum. What Mr.Richards did was inexcusable and has no place on ANY stage. However, I do believe that there will be a greater scrutiny on all racial humor from here on in. Also, some have said that 'Cracker" does not have the same intensity as " N", which if true makes me believe that any black comic who uses the "N" word is only disrespectful to his race and especially his forefathers, who would not think these jokes with that word are funny at all. All people , especially those with celebrity influence need to start showing each other more respect. Just an overall sad stiry that has unfolded here today.

A Black Person

Hey Ussn,
What's up my white nigger? Your little dick ass is still holding it down on TMZ I see.

john

Kramers the man.
This is nothing more than name calling and people are making way more out of it than there is. Everyone in the world has called someone a name in an effort to offend them. period. from childhood on you learn it. as adults we all think things we shouldnt say but sometimes it comes out, at least I can say that I learned from the old childrens sayin.... sticks and stones... GET OVER IT everyone is racist blacks whites everyone. Its just a matter of how racist you are one incident one way or the other doesnt count its the overall amount that matters on a scale of 1-10 this guys about a 4 big deal

Beth Baker

As a white woman, I would just like to say that I am so heartsick by this whole episode. I have no ability to apologize for what other white (or any other color human being) says. All I can say is that Richard exposed some ugliness from his heart, and I hope he can make amends to others and really realize how hurtful these statements were. As I watched his rant, I was thinking to myself that this man seemed to have snapped mentally, and sounds mentally ill. (In no way am I excusing his behavior, I just think there's some deeper pathology involved, too). So what if our ancestors came from different parts of the planet? So what if our DNA is the tiniest bit different, so that we have different bone structure and skin pigmentation? We are all on this same planet, and this sick racism needs to be left in past centuries.

RT

2 points people. First, this is not world hunger here. He's wrong but look at the response !? Second, What were the hecklers saying ? No body seems to care about that. Maybe they weren't even talking about him, maybe they were threatening him. Lets have the whole story.

FRS

We dont have to worry that Richards is finished (I doubt he is) he makes millions every year from the Seinfeld residuals. I should be that finished>

just some guy

ok this is the last comment (because im bored) mary , allen , slaveowner , and any other white rasit fuck yall all suck mad big dick (except mary her husban just got one little pistol)

Nikki

Hey Black Person,

You are right! I'm actually not taking any of this seriously. I'm doing it all for laughs just like you're reading but it's funny when you can tell a person is really getting upset because then it's like why do you care what I say to you? Why does it matter that much? Especially if I'm just a n----- after all I shouldn't even exist to you. LOL

Have a nice holiday and God Bless!

John

I feel bad for him. He obviously was shaken and has some very serious anger problems. Not that a problem is an excuse. Eveybody hates alcoholics, but if they go sober then it is ok. He needs help with his rage, and freaked out. If you saw Letterman's apology attempt, it is clear that it is confusion, ignorance, and a man who is lost and needs help. It's not our job to judge, but to hope he get the help he needs to improve his life and make himself a better man. I think that this is forgivable, if he makes the proper steps. Just my 2 cents.

A Black Person

Hey Kirk Matthews,
What's up? Just wanted to say hi from one black nigger to a white little dick one? How was your day?
Write back my white nigger

Bunny

WHY is it so horrible for a white person to use the word nigger, but it's perfectly OK and accepted for black people to call white people "whitey" honky, redneck, hillbilly, etc. ? Is this perhaps a double standard? I KNOW (before you get started) that these black folks did not call Richards these names - but they are always accepted and usually laughed at when spoken. Afterall, nigger is only a word, a bunch of letters - no lives were lost and no one was injured. And, oh yes, it's perfectly OK these days for black people to say the word nigger. Why is that?

gentoohippy

Those of you that think this was outragous, you are completely, utterly, and 100% retarded. Racism is a part of life. So are stereotypes. Know why? Because they are accurate. Sure, its all fun, playfull heckling until he starts back at them.

I personally respect him. He told what he believed. He told the truth. They thought they were being cool, funny, until he started messing with them, then they suddenly cry "RACISM".

You people are pussys. Grow up. If you can't accept what goes on in the world, leave it, in the most painful way possible. You all have these images of acceptance drilled into your head by society. Get your own opinions, then come back and comment on the opinions of others.

Rocky

Look its a nigger a nigger fu nigger ur so retarded nigger niggerr nigger nigger nigger nigger fu fu fu fu nigger nigger nigger

Ed Vandelay

The real tragedy here is Michael Richards finally sinking to doing stand-up at the Laugh Factory, in West Hollywood yet.