'Kramer's' Racist Tirade

Caught on Tape

11/20/2006 10:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

WARNING: WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO SEE IS PROFANE AND RACIAL

Michael Richards exploded in anger as he performed at a famous L.A. comedy club last Friday, hurling racial epithets that left the crowd gasping, and TMZ has obtained exclusive video of the ugly incident.

Richards, who played the wacky Cosmo Kramer on the hit TV show "Seinfeld," appeared onstage at the Laugh Factory in West Hollywood. Kyle Doss, an African-American, told TMZ he and some friends were in the cheap seats and he was playfully heckling Richards when suddenly, the comedian lost it.

The camera started rolling just as Richards began his attack, screaming at one of the men, "Fifty years ago we'd have you upside down with a f***ing fork up your ass."

Richards continued, "You can talk, you can talk, you're brave now motherf**ker. Throw his ass out. He's a nigger! He's a nigger! He's a nigger! A nigger, look, there's a nigger!"

The crowd is visibly and audibly confused and upset. Richards responds by saying, "They're going to arrest me for calling a black man a nigger."

One of the men who was the object of Richard's tirade was outraged, shouting back "That's un-f***ing called for, ain't necessary."

After the three-minute tirade, it appears the majority of the audience members got up and left in disgust.

Attempts to reach Richards' reps were unsuccessful.

Richards Racial Rant -- Play Video

mark

That was pure anger and frustration at a declining career. Comedy is controlled frustration of situations of life. The goal is to point out the frustrations of life and to make humor of it. The point is “humor”….I don’t mind the word cracker or nigger for that matter but when it’s part of a joke or routine. This should be allowed by both white and black. Mike, was one on one personal with this heckler and that’s not the way to do comedy. I would safely say his career, even though already on the decline has come to an end. Sorry Mike…..can’t help you out here. You did bad…..

A Black Person

know Nikki, I have never got mad at these folks on here, they crack me up. I wish everyone black give the white racist folks on here some slack all of the racist men on here, are only made because they all have little bitty white nigger dicks. And the racist females are all fat, trailer trash, married to or sleeping with my uncle, daddy, brother and first cousin. So give the incestuous folks some slack they are inbred. LOL No disrespect to all my white niggers!

Rosalind

What Richard said is uncalled for not ony did he go above and beyond just simply retaliating back with a comedic anedote but he said what he had been feeling all along. Also to #8 everyone has heritage that dates back to Africa because that's where the first person is from although most of us are from American soil so it is a correct title to be called African American in reference to our heritage maybe you should do a little more research before jumping the gun. Needless, to say it is 2006 and when we as a country should be color blind but I guess everyone is not as educated as one can hope. From a Educated AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMAN

cee

#18
you don't see pictures of crackers upside down with a fork stuck in their asses.
thats the difference. The use of the work nigger brings back painful pictures and rememberences of past horiffic events to black americans.
In simpler words. 'cracker' is not used with the venom that 'nigger' is used.

Gary Niger

POOL'S CLOSED DUE TO RACIST KRAMER

Throwing stones?

Who am I to judge? The last time I lost control of my temper, I think I said some pretty hateful words that I did not mean.....that's what anger and agitation will do to a HUMAN BEING. We can all agree he wasn't in control. I feel for him for allowing it to happen in public. I am not about to cast the first stone.

Frank

Well, they shouldn't have interupted him in the first place. That was rude to begin with, but then again look who it's coming from. No big surprise there.

Pascal Cardinal

I really thought that Kramer was the heart and spirit of Seinfeld. Unfortunately, I don't I will ever be able to watch another episode of Seinfeld without remembering this poor poor man that obviously lacks intelligence and common sense. You should be beaten up for this Kramer...

this is a sad sad day.

Melissa

White people, oops crackers, oops slave holders, well lets call them what they are DEVILS, will never take credit for anything they do. Lets see how funny they find these comments when they are rotting in hell, oops they already are. They(the DEVILS) are the minority now and they can't stand it.
BURN BABY BURN.

KD

I can't believe some of the comments posted here from both whites and blacks. Then again, maybe I can. There is still much to be learned. Richards' rant was racist. Botttom Line. His tirade was demeaning and hurtful, and you can't justify it. Even if he was heckled about not being funny. It shouldn't have led to a three minute rant of venomous hate-filled rhetoric.

As for Whitey, you need an American history lesson or better yet, a life lesson. How do live day to day full of hate and ignorance. You and everyone who agrees with you are IDIOTS, and heading straight to hell if you don't dispense of your hateful venom.

Nick

I don't know, I always kind of looked up to jews on TV as tolerant, which is why I find this incident ironic. Of course, everybody of every race or religion should be understanding and tolerant.

I myself liked Kramer, thought he was hilarious for years. He obviously is
on drugs of some kind, or has some serious issues to work out, especially with
black folks, hehe.

Of course we're all different. I just think that alot of the wealthy or celebrities aren't as exposed to multicultural society as us common folks. I don't know about "Kramer", but then raises the question of Mel Gibson. Even if these people are racist to a certain race, there's still just the matter of being polite to an audience. He committed stage suicide, and probably Seinfeld ratings will go way down now. Maybe he had that in his agenda. Because that was pretty crazy.

Veronica

ok granted the two gentlemen in the audience were being rude and immature by yelling out.......Richards was TOO extreme in his response..... if he called them something like "dumbasses" or some other explicit, it wouldnt have been as bad, but considering that responding with "NIGGER" which would offend more then JUST the two men being stupid, i think that was wrong. I noticed some people talk about the "double standard" and how blacks get away with makign fun of whites in their comedy, but like someone said, its TOTALLY different. When blacks do it in their comedy, it isnt in a HATEFUL manner, yea black comedians may joke about whites, but not with the extreme evil intent that Richards displayed. Regardless of whether you're black ,white or watever, i think that displaying hateful behavior is wrong.

allen

hey 3919 nigger you must suck alot a white dick to know all that huh!
you cum suck my 9"er any day boy. probably more dick you ever see
nigger

Ed

I don't see the big deal. Play a 50 Cent, Jay-Z, Nelly or any other rap album and you'll hear the word nigger after every other motherfucker. What's the big deal? Martin Luther King is rolling in his grave at the way black's are disrespectful towards each other. They throw the "N" word around like it's the word "the". Why is it different if a Michael Richards says it or calls a black guy a nigger? Is it just because he's white? Isn't THAT being a racist to be upset that a white guy said it? I think that until black people start respecting one another, then they can't say anything if anyone from any other race calls someone a nigger. I don't use that word, but that's my personal choice. I think people ought to worry about their own behavior before they start dictating how others should act. The guy's a nut case anyway, why even pay attention to what he's saying. Then he goes on Letterman to apologize? Letterman's the biggest racist on TV. He is just as disrespectful towards people as Richard's was. Letterman is an asshole, that's why NBC gave the Tonight Show to Jay Leno, who is a much more honorable man.

Gerrit

Yeah, and like none of you have ever made a mistake.

Let it go.