'Kramer's' Racist Tirade

Caught on Tape

11/20/2006 10:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

WARNING: WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO SEE IS PROFANE AND RACIAL

Michael Richards exploded in anger as he performed at a famous L.A. comedy club last Friday, hurling racial epithets that left the crowd gasping, and TMZ has obtained exclusive video of the ugly incident.

Richards, who played the wacky Cosmo Kramer on the hit TV show "Seinfeld," appeared onstage at the Laugh Factory in West Hollywood. Kyle Doss, an African-American, told TMZ he and some friends were in the cheap seats and he was playfully heckling Richards when suddenly, the comedian lost it.

The camera started rolling just as Richards began his attack, screaming at one of the men, "Fifty years ago we'd have you upside down with a f***ing fork up your ass."

Richards continued, "You can talk, you can talk, you're brave now motherf**ker. Throw his ass out. He's a nigger! He's a nigger! He's a nigger! A nigger, look, there's a nigger!"

The crowd is visibly and audibly confused and upset. Richards responds by saying, "They're going to arrest me for calling a black man a nigger."

One of the men who was the object of Richard's tirade was outraged, shouting back "That's un-f***ing called for, ain't necessary."

After the three-minute tirade, it appears the majority of the audience members got up and left in disgust.

Attempts to reach Richards' reps were unsuccessful.

Richards Racial Rant -- Play Video

Jeff

You know I saw the comments on TMZ and I saw the apology on Letterman, I'm a black man and Ive never been a Sienfeld fan, all though my sons love the show, and Kramer in particular. I'm not sickened by what he said, I certainly don't agree with it, but the angry tirade of one man does not define me as a person, or America as a nation. Mr. Richards is probably a pretty nice guy who for one reason or another had a very bad night. I mean which one of us hasn't said somethings we wished we hadn't, or wanted to take something back and we couldn't. I'm also a Christian and the Bible I live by says love your enemies, bless those who curse you,do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who despite-fully use you. I forgive Michael Richards, and I hope he can forgive himself. Jesus said let him who is without sin cast the first stone, why don't we all drop our critical stones and give Michael Richards another chance.

BIll

If the audience was hassling Mr Richards, I feel his comments, racist or otherwise are totally appropriate. He is one of the funniest people ever in the profession, and is in the same league as John Belushi, which, in my judgement is as good as a comic actor can be. While the writing, as well as the entire cast of Seinfeld was great, Kramer was the stand out that really made the show. No other person could have been Kramer with the proficiency that Michael Richards was. I also found him hilarious on Fridays, a show that had much too short a run.
Being in the public eye, should not require anyone to tolerate abuse from an audience, nor do I feel any apologies are necessary.

Pamela Smalley

In reading some of these comments, I can't help but notice that many are saying it's okay for the black comedians to down whites because it's comedy and this was said in anger..
So.... I guess that means if you strike out in anger, saying something you would not ordinarily say, it's wrong.... BUT, if you plan it ahead of time, PLAN to ridicule others, whether black, white, jewish, indian, Mexican, fat, skinny, gay or anything else, it's okay? I just can't see it being more acceptable because it's said in humor rather than anger.... In fact, I see it as less acceptable since the person knew fully what he/she was going to say

Lyndsey

Remove Seinfeld from all television stations everywhere. I do not want to see that many EVER on my television again!!!

Gene Stray

Does anyone remember BLAZING SADDLES? Now there is comedic racist bigottry at it's finest......or how about AIRPORT.....or the JERK....or NAKED GUN

.....HE was wrong, he has used the media to appologize quickly. I'm sure this will not affect sales of Seinfeld DVD.....I do not think it will hurt his career since he really has not had one since Seinfeld.

Maybe he ,Donald Rumsfeld and Jim Foley can get together and write a book.....If I Would Have Said It I Would Have Said It This Way.....Oh but they did say it...cancel the interview, Mr Murdock.

i agree

to Don't judge

i don't know if you can consider what black people went through as the worst because i think the jewish people had it a lot worse than that and they suffered lot more hardships. now i am not saying that gives anyone any right but to say they had it the worst out of everyone or in American society no they did not.

G.W.

3701. Hey jrob36109

BEFORE YOU CALL FOLKS DUMB i HAVE 2 WORDS FOR YOU SPELL CHECK YOU F***ING IDIOT..YOU LOOK DUMB WHEN YOU CALL SOMEONE STUPID AND YOU SPELL THE WORD TRAFFIC WRONG AND i BELIEVE THE WORD YOU WERE TRYING TO USE WAS MODERNIZE...MODERIZE???WHAT'S THAT?

Posted at 6:21PM on Nov 21st 2006 by Nikki

umm, you missed some punctuation there.

Chase

I loved the character that Richards played, but now I see the "true person". I think that no matter how mad he got, his real personality came out. I dont think his lame apology does any good. Evenin his apoligy, he refered to black and latinos , as "those people". It is very clear , that is who he is. Let's just put him where he should be,gone and forgotten,like his career.

I KEEPS IT REAL!

What he said was meant to offend and he said it on purpose. If you cant tell that from the video then you are in serious denial. With that said, blacks should stop playing the victims. The more you play the victims the more racism is going to stick around. The more blacks get up on stage and pick on whites the more whites are going to feel compelled to do the same. What white people did in the past has already had it effects, its time to fix things. Its not cool for blacks today to act as if they themselves were the slaves because most of them by this point HAVENT BEEN AND NEVER WILL BE. Slavery is over, its about time to start acting like it and stop blaming the man. If you want to advance in life u do what you have to do. Stop saying the white man is getting you down and using that as a clutch. Yes there is pleanty of racism out there, yes there are hard times, but you can fight back in a smarter way. Obviously complaining and blaming hasnt done a thing so how about educating your children and yourselves and taking over the freaking market. Like for example, Mexicans, if they keep taking the crap jobs and not learning how to speak english how the hell do they expect to get somewhere in America, they are going to be stuck cleaning toilets. MOVE UP IN LIFE. Dont worry about this stupid guy, after his comments he will get whats coming to him. Let him burn his own light. Live in reality and do something.

Nikki

MY DEAREST ORENTHAL (HOW ORIGINAL)

First of all when did I say I hated white people? If you're gonna make a comment please don't put words in my mouth. I HATE NO ONE the one thing I do hate is ignorance. I felt after reading some folks' comments it was necessary to put a bug in their ear. That's all I'm gonna give you you're not worth the finger cramps LOL

soxpats

Those of you who think saying "cracker" is the same as the n-word are ridiculous! The n-word conotes slavery and a time in the not-so-distant past that we treated minorities not only unequally, but with hate and rage. Richards even specifically mentioned this past with his fork up the a** comment. Anyone who thinks his comment are okay or are using the "double standard" argument are just as ignorant as Richards and his comments!

LG

Listen, as a Jewish woman, I was remarkably insulted by the comments of a drunken Mel Gibson...so I completely understand the pain/hurt/general insult of anyone dealing with the comments of Michael Richards. In lack of better wording, it "sucks".

Do I think he should have to deal with more flack than Mr. Gibson....NO.

melissa

KM
because it was aired on C-SPAN.......not at a comedy club/benefit fundraiser....also think about it, Hurricane Katrina ~ comments against Black people???? baadddd..... Cajun Redhead

Kramer

I have no problem with it. he was heckled he lashed back. I support him 100 %

The other guy called him a cracker.

The colored people call themselves niggar.They call their girlfirends bitch and they like to use the term motherfucker

No you are the poo poo head

are you offended

damn number 18

he only said what most white people think, i'm not surprized

Previous 15 Comments | 489 | 490 | 491 | 492 | 493 | 494 | 495 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments