Richards -- "I'm Really Busted Up"

11/20/2006 10:05 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Richards publicly apologized for his racist tirade in an appearance on "The Late Show," but acknowledged that such sentiment had the potential to "come[s] through and fire[s] out of me." He tried to find an awkward parallel between his ugly rant and conflict that has arisen between blacks and whites since Hurricane Katrina.

Looking sallow, drawn, and speaking in halting fragments, Richards explained via satellite from Los Angeles to David Letterman and friend Jerry Seinfeld in New York, that he had lost his temper after some members of the audience interrupted his act and that he "took it badly," unleashing the racist invective that TMZ first aired this morning. He apologized to the people who took "the brunt" of his abuse, saying he was "really busted up," but then went on a strange tangent on race relations, saying he was "concerned about hate and rage" and about a "great deal of disturbance between blacks and whites" after Hurricane Katrina.

Richards did not say whether any other factors contributed to his actions, adding only that he would be doing "personal work" in the aftermath of the incident.

Audience members in the Ed Sullivan Theater, who were watching Richards on a screen, began laughing at Richards at first, thinking that the interview was a comedy skit, until Seinfeld admonished them, saying, "Stop laughing. It's not funny."

Leon

I'm very disappointed in Richards. I wonder if his apology is sincere or he's trying to save face? He has no one to blame but himself. I have a post about this on my blog.

Ryan

Notice how all the people who are egging Richards on and bein all white supremisty have the vocabulary and grammatical skill of a person in gr. 3.....in a public system......in rural alabama ROTFLMAO!

Richards is a chump and he wasn't going anywhere anyways. The sad thing is that he's now more popular and has a bigger (although less educated) following.

Bradley26

Kramer could be saying it was a botched joke, kind of like Kerry when Kerry insulted the US soldiers in Irak as losers, failures in life, stupid, etc. When Kerry was asked to explain? he said he didnt mean it, it was a botched joke

Kramer has more class than that. He wasnt a liar like Kerry, Kramer said he got angry and it came out.

Sean Hannity is one of the most dispicable fools in the media today, he is not a conservative. His take? he slanders Kramer saying Kramer is racist or sick. Hannity lives in this bubble thinking himself perfect when he insults others and has the Mark Levin button ready to fire, like today, a liberal disagrees with Sean? and Sean calls him insulting name(s)

So Kramer apologized, what else you want? its done, he shows he is considerate and wants people not to be mad at him.

So aint no one better be saying Kramer is racist.

Earl Nason

Take Kramer's comments for what they seem to be,a stressed-out comedien trying to be funny with come-backs to the audience.What is pathetic is ALL the blogs on this site.The only difference just may be skin color because everything else(the hate,lack of education,etc.) seems to be the same.I came to this site to see all the 'boohaha' about Kramer,man,did I find more?After some of you guys have cooled-off,go back and read these blogs again,they're very interesting.Please, hold your 'hate-blogs' towards me,I will not see them,this was my first and will be my last visit to a 'blog' site.Beuno Noches amigos.

Jai

so what who gives a shit he called some black guys nigger how is that racist? I can see if he said "shut the fuck up you shit skin motherfuckers" then yah that would have been racist but he dident he used a word that those two guys say to each other on a daily basis but knowbody is crying racist there are they but sence he was white oh now its racist get the fuck out of here with that shit
whats good for the geese is good for the gander.

Ryan

Ah he got on lettermen so he got what he was aiming for (press)
he's too old for a sex tape so he has this. If you find it offensive then just dont pay any attention to this, thats the best way to get back at him.

Jami

I saw the video and that was definitely UNCALL FOR. It upsets me that in the beginning people were actually laughing about this matter-however i understood he was doing standup-He just went WAY too far with it.. if he didnt mean it he would not have repeated the N word SEVEN times MAYBE IT WOULD HAVE SLIPT ONCE. His apologies to me now are LIES.. I don't believe he's sorry. If any thing he's sorry that he got caught.

Margo

I don't take lightly to stereotypes or racist remarks towards any race. I take people as who they are not what race they are from. Its really sad that the only few times we can stand together is in tragedy, example 9/11. Americans as a whole need to learn how to view a person for their character, not their race, gender, religion, sexuality, etc. I do realize that racism exist, I choose not to make that apart of my life. I rather for us to come together than pull each other apart. We can get more accomplished together than apart.

Gooch

A MIND IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!

That is why you NIGGERS don't have any. Bahahahahahahhahahaha!!

Silly Niggers..........

rocksparkels

Wow! I am not amazed at how many racist individuals still exist. Since African Americans are doing so many great things in America I can understand why Richards and those alike are upset. First we worked for free for 400 years it is impossible for us to be lazy but if you are ignorant enough you would believe that. This country was built off of our backs so anything that is stolen it belongs to us anyway. Aside from all of that, Richards didn't just say the N word he said so much more he went into how we were treated during and after slavery which is much deeper than just the N word.
This serves as a notice to all black people with white friends. This is how they truly feel about you and you should take notice.

God does not bless individuals who hate, rape, abuse, and misuse what he has given us. You should have written Devil Bless.

It is sad for all those racist people that live and breathe hate. The more you hate us the more successful we become. And to think all you tried to do to keep us down we keep getting back up. As you can see who God truly blesses. Unfortunately the media only shows you the negative aspects of our community you should know that is not the true representation because every time you go to work, I am your boss, your client, your co-worker, etc. I am the person that has more experience than you, more education than you, and how did I get that???????? We are still working we worked for you to be successful and we are still working. I even fight for you in the war and what do you do sit back and scream white power. And as you can see you are becoming more powerless each and every day.

WP

I am amazed at the insinsitivity of some of these comments. Comments on both sides of the issue. As for it being to late to apologize. It is never too late for an apology. If it is sincere, then so be it. If it is not, then I agree with the person that said he will have to Deal with God on the matter. Both parties were wrong. Those in the audience hecleing and his response to those who were Heckling. However, Being one in the Entertainment industry, I must say this is his Job. It's not the first time he has had heclkers in the audience. He has had more than he can maybe count. But most comedians know there is always the likely hood that they will be heckeled, and their response? Make a joke back at the person and make them look like idiots in front of the paying crowd. Those of you who believe that Ghetoisms are being promoted on television with the bling, and bitches as you state. I ask you this one question to ponder. Who are the head men and women of the recording industry, the television and film industry? Surely you can not say that WE as African Americans are the founder of CBS. ABC, NBC, Hollywood heads etc. Come on now people. This is not brain surgury. Yes, Racism exist in America, you don't have to look too far to see its ugly lil pee brained head. You see it clearly in many of the posts to this page. However, it is very easy to hide behind the words on a computer screen and say your lil ugly words about any race, Black, Hispanic, Asian. But it's what you say in the face of the public that I wonder about.

What he said, what you say and what any one else says regarding me or my race or anything other race does not validate hatred. That is a disease that is more silent than cancer, it will kill. It does kill. However, it does so second by second, minute by minute. Until one day you find yourself laying in a bed wondering why things are happening. I write this saddened by the statements that I have read amongst so called mature rational adults. Some of you who hold very good jobs, well educated, well traveled and well read. However, you can not seem to realize that this little thought about another being greater or lesser than yourself. There is non great but God. And like one other post stated. Yes, salvation is key, however it may have been presented. I present it with the utmost love and respect. It's about the renewing of the mind. Seeing things with new eyes, and a new spirit. These things are here ladies and gentlemen to promote even more of the hatred and you continue to fall for the tricks, the traps and the smoke and mirrors.

Whether this mans statements be true, or they be false in opinon. It is not what others say about YOU it's what you say about your self. How do YOU carry yourself. Be you white, black, purple or green. Stop allowing yourselves to be caught up in the rhetoric. Yes, have an opinon, but for God sakes don't let it fester into such mean spirited, hateful seld distructing behavior. Peace be still for goodness sake.

Some of the statements are just out right ingnorant. I mean just ignorant. Your comments are based on things you see in music videos??? WOW. You really need to get out more. If you do not realize that media presents a thing, knowing full well the power of the medium on a group of people. I challenge you. Don't watch television for while and see how liberating it can be to your mind. Read a book, listen to music. You are being controlled by something and you don't even seem to know that you are controlled. Yet you sit with your degrees, your titles and say you are rational human beings. How is this changing lives of those who are really in need. Hungry, Homeless, abandoned children. You argue about this, yet right outside your doors there are bigger issuse that we should be argueing about. What are you saying about that?

WP

To that I add to my fellow brothers and sister of any race. Meditate on this quote for a second, minute, hour or life time......

A man Convinced against his/her will..... Is of the same opinion still.

You can not convince those who post hateful opinions on this page to change their minds. You can try.. but you will only frustrate and anger yourself in the process. The one way to convince them is to be better than the percieve you to be. They love the attention. Ignorant though it may be, but they love it. On both sides of the matter.

Don't argue with ignorance people. Ignorance is content being IGNORANT. Only a revelation with light/education can change ignorance.

As Paul renamed Saul did.. An experience with light/education

Peace and blessing to you my brothers and sister. Don't get an blood clot over this. because it too shall pass. .

Gooch

Wow, I really feel like a complete dipshit for making the post I did a few posts back about "a mind is a terrible thing to waste."

I got so angry after reading what a few "bad apples" were saying about whites and Michael Richards that it was my way of retaliating against you all. I am very sorry for saying those hurtful things and I sincerely apoligize from the bottom of my heart for posting them. That wasn't really how I feel.......I only said it after reading such hatre-filled posts from a few black people. It was my way of getting back at those who posted mean things about us white people. I never should have said it, because to be honest I wasn't even feeling it.

I guess that is how things go. One persopn says or does something and if it angers another person, they retaliate. Next thing you know, everyone is hating everyone and that needs to stop. DO NOT ALLOW IT TO SNOWBALL.

Again, my sincerest apoligies to everyone for my hateful words. I know that it may not mean much to you now, but I truely mean it from the bottom of my heart.

God bless you all.

Stephanie

560, That was a beautiful post. I've had to learn those things the hard way but what you say is 100% true.

Casey

The national news is only providing one side on this issue... where is the beginning of the vid? What made Michael rant? At the end of the video(from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3RjiVcIlhY), the black guys are leading him on. Calling Michael a cracker and then what I perceive as a threat. But, when you see them on TV, they act like they did nothing wrong... now they want money - go figure. Why don't they just grow up. So they were insulted... so what. Comedians are always insulting white people in the audience, why - because they know the white people will not come back and sue them. Maybe some audience members at the next Chris Rock stand up should sue him for calling white people in the audience “cracker.” If the AACP thinks that the “N” word is so negative, maybe the… all that’s right, there isn’t a large group of white lawyers or religious political people (like Jesse Jackson – who I think just to like to hear themselves talk) just waiting for the next black person to slue racial slurs… If there was, then Chris Rock would have been sued a long time ago. I think the person taping and the two black guys seen dollar signs.

People need to grow up and get the facts about slavery straight. Black people were not the only slaves. Native Americas were slaves long before Africans were brought to this country… by the way… these people where already slaves in Africa; destine for death by the tribe that held them captive. Somehow, this information gets lost. They need to stop using slavery as a way to get their way.

Michael should have apologized, but it should end at that.