Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word

11/20/2006 8:11 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jerry SeinfeldWith pal Jerry Seinfeld already Letterman's scheduled guest on Monday's "The Late Show," Michael Richards appeared via satellite to apologize for the shocking incident at the Laugh Factory on Friday night. TMZ obtained the horrifying video of Richards in a bigoted tirade against a heckler.

According to a source, Richards was close to tears during the apology.

Our cameras caught Seinfeld leaving the Ed Sullivan Theatre after taping his Letterman appearance. He told us, "It's all on the show tonight."

Seinfeld's reps confirmed to TMZ that "Michael appeared via satellite and apologized."

Dark Knight

I'm sick of these so-called apologies. He had plenty of time to shut up and walk off that stage instead of saying what he said. And he said it repeatedly, not just one time. If it slipped once in the heat of the moment fine, but he had more than enough time to correct himself and be the bigger man. Not to mention he was only getting heckled. What comedian hasn't been heckled? If he can't take it he shouldn't be up there. Just because his PR person told him to apologize doesn't make it right. Just because you apologize celebrities it doesn't mean everything is okay and all is forgiven. I know you are used to your money getting you out of trouble, but this is the real world not Hollywood. Your true colors showed Mr. Richards and there's no taking it back now.

Denise

Its really not shocking. Im an african american, and up to this point...a big fan of Seinfeld(and kramer being my fav)....but im not shocked. Not in the least. It isn't until after all of the money is made and they don't need to put on a front anymore that you see people like Richard's true color. Now I hate that I ever support something he was appart of.

Wicked

SO WHAT IF KRAMER DID WHAT HE DID...GET OVER IT PEOPLE. YOU ARE ALL A BUNCH OF IDIOTS GETTING YOUR PANTIES IN A WAD OVER THIS.

KRAMER HAS MORE CLASS THEN ANY OF YOU MORONS. YOU LOW CLASS PIECES OF CRAP.

HEY KRAMER.....GO KRAMER...WAY TO GO KRAMER

Donna

Why say it and then apologize for it?? Have some convictions. Stand behind what you believe!

Firecracker

OMG!!! I'm in so much SHOCK!!!

I hope he was wearing a bullet proof vest during that incident!

Can we say..."Foot in Mouth?"

He makes Mel Gibson look like Mother Theresa.

Not that it matters, but I'm a european-american...and from my perspective, I can assure you that his "N" bombs were not a part of a comedy skit.

So...regardless of the arguments going on between the definitions of "nigger" or "cracker"...or who is allowed to say it...THIS OUTBURST IS JUST PLAIN WRONG!!!

WTF was he thinking???

Kathleen Blaine

Comedy has always at times used the crude and vulgar to get a laugh. Both by white and black comdians. What I found upsetting was that this video was called "horrifying" Come on people are being blown to bits in Irag, gang bangers are shooting innocent peopel everyday now thats horrifying. Personally I find it offensive for anyone to use the N word. I found it self loathing when I hear young black people calling themselves this constantly, it is used in Rap music all the time. i hear it so often I start to think thats what we call blacks now and this comes from in the black community. Would the religious and poliktical leaders of the black community PLEASE try to stop their own from using this negative term.

NinjaDude

At least he apologized!

Darold

You sir are definitley a racist idiot. If it helps I officially apologize for all stupid idiots who lose their minds including the Mayor of New Orleans and the Governor of Louisiana. We all need to return to the MotherLand our Africa where things are like Shangri La and everyone lives in peace and prosperity. Where we take care of each other.....uh well...maybe not ...sorry...America is just a little better....OJ GUILTY? no way! who thinks he's guilty? must be a cracker.

Arlene

I normally do not comment on any posts, but I have to comment on this one. While it may be true that black call each other names there were some very harsh comments made. The fact that he said that "50 years ago you were hanging upside down with a fork up your A--." Blacks were lynched in the past and were in some case hung both upside down and castrated. I think that we don't need to be reminded of those negative images. He crossed the line in my opinion. Thanks!

Harrel D

If you think it's cool 2 be a all out racist your dead wrong.What you do at your house is your business so, keep it that way because if you fuck with the wrong person it be your last day or night? p.s Stop the hating

O. Lopez

I’ve been to Richards stand up comedy recently, he is loud, he says a lot of bad words, but I think he fell into the “blacks kind of mental game” they can make fun of “yo mama” they can say anything they want and no one complaints, but when you use the “N” word (as if they theme self don’t use it every sentence)they get offended, I am Mexican, and believe me, I know ALL the jokes (and not jokes) about us “beeners” but if you go to a comedy club for adults, why would you get offended?
Richard screwed up, he should have kept his cool and keep the joke going, but I think he panicked and let them get the best of him, I think black people are the most racist than all of us. They can call white people anything they want (wonder bread, ghost, etc, but unfairly, you can call a black person a nigger…why not?

Jeff

To add to me comment (#23)...

Moments like this remind black people how little blacks and whites understand one another. More than I am saddened by Kramer, I am saddened by the reactions of some whites to it.

I didn't realize "white boy" tortured you so. It does not. This is because your ancestors were never lynched, forced out of restraunts and schools, tortured, or otherwise oppressed while being called this.

"White boy" was a criticism of your values and mores. Not a threat against your existence. Can some rational white person validate this idea, so they will hear it???

Denise

As an African American Female that was very sad and stupid. Im not shocked though. For years, Im sure that many whites as well as blacks supported that show. I was the BIGGEST fan up until viewing this video. Kramer was my fav, but oh how the word ACTOR takes on a big meaning. He wasn't acting at the laugh factory. Now im sure he wouldn't have went off like that then, but now that the money has been made...he can show his true colors. I don't agree with that word from ANYONE!!!, but I its different when it comes from a white person who hords and hides hate in his heart for another race. I hate that I supported that show, because this isn't a slip of the tounge...it was a slip of the heart.

Firecracker

His "N" bombs were totally not needed. Bottom line...

In his attempt to offend the "hecklers", his subconscious racism came out....and he offended alot of innocent audience members that didn't do anything to deserve those remarks...

Some things will never change

Thank G-- for alcohol!! for without it we would never know who the true racist are.