Rosie Rips Kelly for "Homophobic" Remark

11/21/2006 2:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Rosie O'Donnell started a bitchfight with fellow morning-diva Kelly Ripa when she accused Ripa of making a "homophobic" remark.

The fracas started on "The View" when O'Donnell said that Ripa was "homophobic" for her scolding of Aiken when he co-hosted her show the other day and playfully put his hand over her mouth, prompting Ripa to snap, "I don't know where that hand has been." Rosie suggested that if Aiken had been a "straight guy, a cute guy" or, for instance, Mario Lopez, Ripa wouldn't have made the same remark. (Aiken, of course, has never said anything publicly about his sexuality.)

Ripa was incensed enough to call into the show immediately, firing back that Rosie's accusation was "outrageous" and "irresponsible" and that Ripa made the remark last Friday because it was "cold and flu season" and that Aiken had shaken the hands of the studio audience. Rosie wasn't buying it, and in acknowledging that she admires Ripa, said that "from where I sit" as an openly gay woman, Ripa's response was homophobic.

Kelly, for her part, continued to pile on Aiken as well, saying that his behavior on last week's episode was "disrespectful," including the fact that he never thanked her for the opportunity to co-host. Kelly and the ladies agreed on one thing: guest host Sherri Shepherd's assertion that Clay probably wouldn't have muzzled Regis like he did Kelly.
Ladies of

Previous 15 Comments | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181

Mike James

1066...in response to your posting, I love you and forgive you, and so does God, because it is people like me and you that Jesus hung and died on a cross for...so count your blessings for Christians, while not perfect, they are a guiding light to a forgiving God, which is what we all need...

lana gridley

get a grip rosie, homophobic? not .

Craig Campbell

I have always disliked Rosie, or "Miss Piggy", as I like to call her. She is and
always has been a loud, rude, and vile personality. Her only entertainment
credits are that she is obese and funny looking. I don't know why any network
would want her on the air.

Craig Campbell

always has been a loud, rude, and vile personality. Her only entertainment
credits are that she is obese and funny looking. I don't know why any network
would want her on the air.

D. CAM

I HAVE BEEN WATCHING THE "VIEW" SINCE ROSIE CAME ON. I LOVE ROSIE AND I LOVE KELLY, BUT AFTER TODAYS SHOW, I WILL NOT BE WATCHING THE "VIEW" AGAIN. I FEEL SINCE ROSIE CAME ON THE "VIEW", SHE HAS TURNED IT INTO HER PERSONAL SPACE TO SPEAK ABOUT ALL HER OWN GAY ISSUES AND FOR THE MOST PART THERE HASN'T BEEN A SHOW WHERE SHE HASN"T SPOKEN ABOUT "GAY THIS AND GAY THAT". I'M TIRED OF HEARING IT. THERE ARE OTHER OPINIONS IN THIS WORLD, AND KEEP IN MIND, NOT ALL PEOPLE ARE GAY. GAYS WANT TO BE ACCEPTED AND RESPECTED, HOWEVER ROSIE ISN'T RESPECTING HER FELLOW GAYS. ROSIE, RETHINK YOUR THOUGHTS BEFORE THEY COME OUT OF YOUR MOUTH, STOP OFFENDING OTHER PEOPLE, AND THAT INCLUDES GAYS AND STRAIGHTS. I AM A LESBIAN AND I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE. ROSIE YOU ARE OUT AND EVERYBODY KNOWS IT, LAY OFF THE GAY AND LESBIAN COMMENTS PLEASE. GIVE US A BREAK!!!!!!

trini gossip

I watched the show and it was terrible to see them go at it and worse yet when Kelly appeared conciliatory and Rosie refused to back down. Can't wait to hear if Kelly will comment tomorrow or if an apology will come from The View. Was anyone else surprised at how professional the guest host Sherry tried to cool the tempers while Joy and Elizabeth looked on with glee or SHOCK

Whatever

Rosie needs every bit of publicity she can get, she knows it and is trying to drum some up so she feels unforgotten.

Rosie is so off the deep end mentally. She needs to shut her pie hole and go find a cave to hide in. She is not funny or even interesting. I just as soon not have to look at her.

Pat Dougherty

Rosie, not everyone equates every remark or action as homophobic, sexist, racist, etc. Please get off the subject of gay or not gay. Most people don't give a hoot. You are alienating a lot of people with your harping on this subject. Give it a rest!

maryann

The worst thing to happen to the View...Rosie O'Donnell. I used to respect Barbara Walters, but now , the show might as well be Jerry Springer. Rosie really brought the show into the toilet with her outrageous opinions and left wing crap!

Elizabeth Williams

i AM SICK OF ROSIE AND HER HIGH AND MIGHTY ATTATUDE BECAUSE SHE IS A GAY BITCH. lEAVE YOUR FAT ASS OFF KELLY WHO IS A DECENT PERSON UNLIKE YOU A FAT BITCH WHO THINKS SHE KNOWS EVERYTHING, THE VIEW WAS ONCE A GOOD SHOW BUT ALL YOU DO IS BITCH ABOUT EVERYONE AND I WOULD NOT WATCH YOU FOR ALL THE GAYS IN YOUR LIFE. THE VIEW IS DEAD AND IF JOY AND ELIZABETH WERE SMART THEY WOULD GET THE HELL OFF THAT SLEEZY BABA WALTERS AND HER LISBIAN SHOW.

dusty

Kelly is absolutely right on this one. Straight or gay...doesn't matter. Hands don't belong over someone else's mouth. Rosie is over reacting. And yes, I'm gay

Donna

LOL, Will...your cute! Get off the cross Christians....we need the wood!

Jade

I hate to admit it...but Kelly is right and Rosie is wrong. sexualtiy in this instance was not the issue at hand...LOL I just made a funny...NOT!

Honestly people, if you were in her shoes at the time this incident happened...I don't think that anyone would have stood for that...Clay made a mistake and he didn't think about what he was doing. He simply reacted a little foolishly...everyone has done that a time or two in thier life. I know that I wouldn't wouldn't allow someone I just met moments ago put their hand over my mouth...no matter who you are.

I have a sister who is out and very gay as the day is long...this was NOT ABOUT THAT!!! Rosie...it's one thing to be a little controversial and another to just go diving off the deep end when it's none of your business...if anything...you should have backed her up...I really don't thinky ou would allow such a thing to happen to you now...or would you?

Julie

You all just don't undertand what it is to be gay. Yes, Rosie is opinioned and loud about it. But so are very name staright ppl and we would not call them, Big Mouthed staight person. You all are the reason, Rosie is the way Rosie is. Luv ya Rosie keep it up...from a lesbain with a partner and children!

Billy Cyg

Rosie is being Not so rosie as usual, so what else is new. I suspect that Rosie got into that riff with Ripa because maybe Rosie is jealous of her. That we'll never know.
Here's the thing. There is a place for Rosie in this world, she just hasn't found it yet. The way I see it; What Kelly ripa is to Regis, Rosie should be the same to Jerry Springer

Previous 15 Comments | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181