Rosie Rips Kelly for "Homophobic" Remark

11/21/2006 2:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Rosie O'Donnell started a bitchfight with fellow morning-diva Kelly Ripa when she accused Ripa of making a "homophobic" remark.

The fracas started on "The View" when O'Donnell said that Ripa was "homophobic" for her scolding of Aiken when he co-hosted her show the other day and playfully put his hand over her mouth, prompting Ripa to snap, "I don't know where that hand has been." Rosie suggested that if Aiken had been a "straight guy, a cute guy" or, for instance, Mario Lopez, Ripa wouldn't have made the same remark. (Aiken, of course, has never said anything publicly about his sexuality.)

Ripa was incensed enough to call into the show immediately, firing back that Rosie's accusation was "outrageous" and "irresponsible" and that Ripa made the remark last Friday because it was "cold and flu season" and that Aiken had shaken the hands of the studio audience. Rosie wasn't buying it, and in acknowledging that she admires Ripa, said that "from where I sit" as an openly gay woman, Ripa's response was homophobic.

Kelly, for her part, continued to pile on Aiken as well, saying that his behavior on last week's episode was "disrespectful," including the fact that he never thanked her for the opportunity to co-host. Kelly and the ladies agreed on one thing: guest host Sherri Shepherd's assertion that Clay probably wouldn't have muzzled Regis like he did Kelly.
Ladies of

cathy l meek

Give it a break Rosie! It must be really hard to be perfect. You must spend alot of time deciding who can say what and to whom. You are your own voice! Please don't try to analize what others mean when they say something. remember free speech means just that! the Cat

Michele

I'm not sure if Clay has ever co-hosted Regis and Kelly, but he crossed the line. He should not have done what he did -- it was rude and disrespectful. He should have shown some professional courtesy. And really, enough is enough -- why is it that we have to read something into every statement someone makes?!

divalasvegas

Are you freakin' kidding me? Rosie's fat ass should stay the hell out of this one! Rosie, the only one that thinks that 95% of the world is homophobic is YOU!! If anyone needs to apologize, it should be Clay Aiken! The Gaiken was EXTREMELY catty on the show, he was rude to Kelly and kept putting her down. He was disrespectful, kept interrupting her and making comments. If anyone, gay or straight, put their hand over my face the way Clay Aiken did to Kelly Ripa, it would be an invitation to an ass kicking! I watched the show, I don't think that her comment was homophobic at all, I think she was trying to find a nicer way of saying, "Get your f*cking hand out of my f*cking face!"

Chris

Rosie, you are an idiot! You make all queers look bad!

T.L. F.

This is just ridiculous. I am so sick and tired of Rosie using her celebrity and the show as her "gay rights" platform. I used to just love Rosie O'Donnell when she had her own show. I know she is a good person. I can't stand her anymore. But honestly I applaud Kelly for making the statement and saying what she felt and by no means was it "homophobic"...for pete's sake. He shouldn't have done that. It was disrespectful. I am just sick to death of people getting in such an uproar over something someone says, something so trivial, where they turn it into something offensive when it was never ever meant that way. This world has gone mad with getting offended everytime someone opens their mouth and just speaks their mind a bit. You can't even talk to anyone anymore without someone getting mad and starting some big, dumb, stupid, freaking, silly controversy and whining "I found that offensive". Please just shut up Rosey for the love of pete. Last week, I attended a funeral of a beautiful 11 year old little girl who died of cancer after an 11 month battle. There are just more important things in the world to get upset about. Just move on Rosey ,please, and just let people be people. Think before YOU speak for a change. PLEASE!!!!

PODSPANK

Yeah....ROSIE O I'm GAY AND DONT FORGET IT! ....... Stupid bitch. I like the discussion a week ago about dying your pubic hairs a different color. Wow. What great T.V. You%u2019re so disgusting. I only wish I had a submarine to torpedo your Gay Pride cruise ship. Your HOMO stance on this society is going to destroy it. I don't shop at Wal-Mart anymore because they just signed and agreement with their employee gay alliance. Just sit back and watch this bullsh*t take off. YOUR%u2019RE A SICK WASTE OF PROTOPLASM.

BURN IN HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shar

Rosie needs to get over herself, Kelly has kids and Clay putting his hands over her mouth after shaking the audiences hands is not SANITARY! Rosie seems to just be looking for fights with other host of show and she just needs to CHILL.

Matt

First off if you are going to comment on this issue try and act like an adult. Your low IQ shows when you have to use profanity to make a point. Instead of commenting on this site maybe you should take a refresher course in English.
Both Kelly and Rosie are wrong. I definitely believe that if it was a straight man we would not be discussing this right now and Kelly, you are suppose to be a professional, act like one and next time let it go and if you have a problem tell the guest host off the air! Rosie: I can't say you outed Clay because he does that on his own. For Christ sake Rosie not every comment is homophobic just because someone is gay, but I do wonder if Ms. Kelly at that time, responded that way because of the homosexual aspect of it.

Amy Grenader

I saw the video clip on the view today and I thought Rosie was just as wacko as Michael Richards was to spout out from the mouth. She should know better. I didn't like the fact that Rosie was taking over Star Jones place on "The View" but I have actually liked laughing along with the "Girls". What I had minded in her replacement was that they didn't bring in an intelligent person to fufill the type of issues that Star Jones was able to do intelligently and from a lawyer's perspective. Now I wonder if my instincts were correct. Rosie should have never gone on and on about the fact SHE thought it was a "homophobic" remark when Kelly said she wasn't even thinking in that vein. She should have just dropped it and said then I am sorry for misinterpreting it wrongly. And that's that. Instead she had to go on and on about it making it look horrible for everyone involved including herself. I don'[t think Kelly was wrong to say what she did when she was just responding with something that was meant to be funny and the same time let him know she didn't appreciate it. I wouldn't have either. I thought it was very inappropriate on his behalf to do it but then he isn't very old or wise about why it was. He thought he was being funny too and it just wasn't....especially when you are on someone else's show and as a guest......no matter how irritating Kelly can get with her nonstop mouth. Sometimes she is so funny but I find her hard to take too. I just don't think what she said warranted those remarks from Rosie. I can't stand someone even touching my hand much less my mouth. I don't like germs either. I never uused to be that way and my son who is Clay's age thinks I am sick about the germ thing but he hasn't lived as long as I have and I think like Clay is very naive. That's my soapbox and I am sticking with it!

Jean

What is up with you Rosie O? Do you think because you announced to the world your sexual orientation that you now have the right to be rude, crude and socially (in my opinion) unacceptable? I don't care if a person is gay, straight, bi, neutered-whatever...I would react the same as Kelly if someone put their hand over my mouth. Yikes, girl get a grip and find something worthwhile to get riled up about.

Twomorrowgrngras

Rosie needs to move to Chile and disappear. She is such a fking joke and I can't name anyone I know that likes this fat dyke. She is a loser who SOMEHOW ended up on TV and has been an eyesore for the decent American every since!

Faye

I saw the show & thought that Kelley & Clay were having fun & I don't believe that he intended anything about it. Get a grip Kelley.

Elle

Rosie is completely out of control. I swear this "woman" just shoots
her mouth off irresponsibly and thinks about what she's said LATER,
if even. Kelly and anyone is allowed to dislike someone whether
they're gay or not. Sexuality is not the determining factor of
someone's character, Rosie should know that better than anyone else.
Besides some people are germphobes, big deal.

I'm sick of hearing about Rosie's unintelligent and unsupported ramblings. I think she believes she's some kind of "tell it like it is" "woman" when really
she just sounds like a moronic imbecile.

Nancy

I just think Rosie needs to think before she jumps to the idea everyone's against gays. Kelly meant don't touch anyones face because she's sure wouldn't know if Clay had clean hands, washed his hands after going to the bathrm. I feel atleast 85% of the people male of female don't wash or do a good job after going to the bathrm. I mean guys have to hold them selves during pee time

ms.hammer 2

clay never should have put his hand in kelly's face, and for rosie to make a comment about that is outregeous, who cares if clay is gay just come out of the closet, and kelly do not own that show in order for clay to thank her, what a big fuss over nothing.