Richards' Rant -- Not The First Time

11/22/2006 4:10 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael RichardsDid Michael Richards attack the Jews? Two Los Angeles residents have come forward and said that's exactly what happened last Spring at L.A. comedy club, The Improv.

Carol Oschin and J.P. Fillet say they were at The Improv on April 22 when Richards took the stage. They say that in the middle of Richards' skit, a man in the audience said something to the comedian, when Richards allegedly launched into an anti-Semitic rant. According to Oschin, Richards screamed at the audience member, "You f***ing Jew. You people are the cause of Jesus dying."
Offended couple - click to play

Oschin says the rant continued and Richards stormed off the stage. Oschin and Fillet say that, at first, they thought Richards' tirade was part of his act, but claim that it quickly became apparent it was not.

Richards' publicist, Howard Rubenstein, confirmed to TMZ that Richards did make derogatory comments about Jews, but says it was part of his act. Rubenstein says Richards told him, "I'm not anti-Semitic. I was playing a role and poking fun at the rednecks."

Miami Girl

Ok, let me clear this up for all of you who are reading what you want into my posts. I'm not white. I happen to be hispnic. I do not agree with what Michael Richards said at all. The point to me is that he is no one special that this many ppl should care about what he says. Someone said that I am generalizing and that others use derogatory comments against each other, lol, we all do it. Some of us are just smarter than to take it so seriously. Freedom of Speech grants people the right to their voice their opinions. Including all of you who want to call me ignorant or whatever. You don't offend me, you don't know me. But I am an American and I keep it real.

me

364 is just clueless and likes listening to himself,or reading himself............haha Fool!

Mary T

HA! Its been how many days and we're still talking about this? Do you think maybe its because theres so much crap goin on in the world that this takes our mind off the other crap?

Meanwhile while we are getting offended by words, people are getting killed for having a different religion in the world and we all might be blown up by WW3. so whats worse eh?

J Ford

For the record, all blacks do NOT use the N-word. Nor do they condone it's use by ANY race. Michael Richard's rant was rooted with his personal feelings, NOT him trying to win the crowd over with a comedy act. My cousin was in the club during the incident and the hecklers did NOT heckle him with racial slurs. Anyone who knows comedy, knows that heckling is part of the profession. Which is why the act was giving its own name (heckle). Look at comedy shows like Last Comic Standing and Bill Bellamy's Who Got Jokes, both shows are comedian talent searches and both require comedians to overcome hecklers.

For all the racist and bigots who use this site as a venue to express racist opinions, Stop the nonsense.

And stop trying to play victim. I've been to comedy clubs where WHITE comedians made fun of black people and everyone laughed because it was funny. Blacks do not have a problem being the butt of jokes. The problem here is Michael Richard's was NOT joking and that's when it becomes offensive. Black and white comedians alike use the differences of races as material for their acts.

As for the idiotic comments on this site, I find it comical that many people assume BLACKS are the only race on welfare when that is completely wrong.

J Ford

And for all the people who are bringing up that immigrants (Jews, Italians, etc) were able to succeed in this country with hard work and blacks need to do the same. REALIZE THIS, blacks can work as hard as anyone but when the people in charge choose to LOOK past your hardwork and instead base decisions solely on race, it isn't as easy to succeed. Blacks had to deal with racism in this country that no other race can relate with.

Imagine graduating at the top of your class and not being able to get a job because of your skin color. THAT's what many blacks have had to deal with and YES many of us have overcame the racist past of this country. It's not a question of whether blacks have worked hard because many HAVE, its a question of when this country will stop the idiocy. Stop with the racist views and allow everyone to succeed.

Young White American Male

If I were Michael Richards I would tell everyone to kiss my ass, that is what free speech is all about. what is the point in having free speech if every time you say something offensive you become a target? they should not have heckled him in the first place, they initiated the conflict, they should have been tossed out before it even got to that point.

Bobby Lee

MICHAEL RICHARDS IS JEWISH!!!!!!!!!!!!
(SOME PEOPLE WILL SAY HE WAS "RAISED CATHOLIC", THAT'S A GAME JEWS PLAY) HE MAY HAVE BEEN "RAISED CATHOLIC" BUT HE HAS JEWISH BLOOD.

THERE ARE SEVERAL JEWS IN HOLLYWOOD WHO WERE "RAISED CATHOLIC". BUT THEY STILL ENJOY ALL THE PERKS OF THEIR JEWISH HERITAGE LIKE MICHAEL RICHARDS.

RJ

Has anyone actually taken the the time to understand the difference between racism and bigotry? Look them people. There are many more bigots than actual racists. Richards is most likely a bigot not a racist.

Rachel

#370 So Bobby Lee, it's a "game" Jews play? I've never heard of this so-called game you mention. Sounds to me like you are but one more pathetic soul who wants to blame their sad lot in life on the Jews. My how original you are. While not Jewish myself I respect what they have overcome, their strong work ethic and their contributions to the arts, science, medicine, etc... When you say "perks" of their heritage do you mean the ovens of Treblinka or the gas chambers of Auschwitz? Yes they've certainly had their "perks" in life. Now, do you care to respond to my questions in an intelligent manner or would you prefer to keep screaming, using all caps for emphasis? Waiting for your reply...

PDX

to "From my POV", posting 358.

There are people on both sides that are making unfair generalizations about the other. Read Amias's rants in 300. Sure she made a statement about the plight of Jewish women in an attempt to show balance, but read the rest of it..."the Jews get paid by my tax dollars to the tune of billions of dollars a year," or how about "you once owned slave(s) too." What tax dollars am I getting of yours? I pay quite a bit in taxes. Next, my family has only been in America for 60 years, so what slaves did I own? I know she is referring to Jews who may have owned slaves in the South 200 years ago, but her statement unfairly implicates all Jews. You see what I am getting at? Here is another quote "The different between the Jews suffering and the Colored folks suffering is, yours ended and you are still being paid." What am I being paid? No one is paying me or my family. Here is another quote "Jews are as racist as the folks calling themselves White. It shows that they will stoop to any level to try and hid this, or sway others from the point when it is revealed." Now come on, if that isn't an unfair generalization, I must be speaking a different language. Let's go back to Amias posting 230. She says "a Jew let everyone know he hates Colored folks, which is no surprise."

In the end, maybe Amias is not a racist and does not hate Jews. I am just reading the comments as they are written. Perhaps, she was so incensed by the racist postings here that she let it get the best of her.

When I said "thank you for not Jew bashing this time" you took that as being insincere. I was truly happy that she didn't continue her tirade, and wanted to point out that I didn't forget her earlier comments. In the end, that was my point... let's hold people accountable.

chris walcz MRWC

#365,,,"YO!! "CHUMBAWUMBA"??? holy sh*t ,,,with a name like that,,who's the fool here,,you don't use that name when applying for a job do you? YO! MICHEAL!!,,CHUMBAWUMBA needs a job,, can you help him out...LOL LOL LMAO

PDX

Rachel, thanks again for the kind words about Jews. What separates you from those who are posting negative comments about Jews, is that you obviously have met some.

me

# 56 He is NOT JEWISH Dont say anything if you dont know what your talking about-----

me

374 I called you a chumbawumba, more like CHUMP a wumba. And I am
a female who has a much better and much more rewarding job than you I
am sure . Be Quiet little boy, and grow up. You dont belong here with
the big people!

Rachel

Chumbawumba my remarks were not directed at you, they were directed at
chris walcz MRWC. But he won't care much what we say, we don't have weiners between our legs.