Richards' Rant -- Not The First Time

11/22/2006 4:10 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael RichardsDid Michael Richards attack the Jews? Two Los Angeles residents have come forward and said that's exactly what happened last Spring at L.A. comedy club, The Improv.

Carol Oschin and J.P. Fillet say they were at The Improv on April 22 when Richards took the stage. They say that in the middle of Richards' skit, a man in the audience said something to the comedian, when Richards allegedly launched into an anti-Semitic rant. According to Oschin, Richards screamed at the audience member, "You f***ing Jew. You people are the cause of Jesus dying."
Offended couple - click to play

Oschin says the rant continued and Richards stormed off the stage. Oschin and Fillet say that, at first, they thought Richards' tirade was part of his act, but claim that it quickly became apparent it was not.

Richards' publicist, Howard Rubenstein, confirmed to TMZ that Richards did make derogatory comments about Jews, but says it was part of his act. Rubenstein says Richards told him, "I'm not anti-Semitic. I was playing a role and poking fun at the rednecks."

Barbara

Well then Tommie you better quit being racist yourself.

BLACK AND PROUD

Enough is enough.... to each person who seem to think "WE" should get pass what Richards said I say kiss my ass and go to hell. As a black woman I don't need to hear 1 person outside my race call me or any other black person a n****r.
So for any other SOB who decides to leave a message I say keep all your smart ass comments to yourself. If the tables were turned I'm sure "YOU PEOPLE" would be upset too.

Jane

Miami Girl, you are incredibly ignorant. There's a difference between making a racial joke as part of a routine, and screaming racist remarks out of anger. When he told those men that they'd be hanging with a fork up their ass fifty years ago, do you think that was part of his comedy routine? It's one thing to say something for the sake of humor, it's another to say something out of hatred. And just because something is said in a comedy routine, doesn't mean that can't be called offensive. Since when did comedians become Gods, where they can say whatever they want because it was only "part of their routine."

Jane

It's incredibly sad when people think news about racism is sad and petty. There may be a war going on in other parts of the world, but this issue is a war that goes on every day in this country. It's easy to not care about racism when you're never the victim of it. You may think it's no big deal because it has no effect on your life. For your reference, I'm white, so don't think I'm playing a race card. It's digusting and shameful when people suddenly don't care about hatred and discrimination, especially when it comes from a respected celebrity.

Dave

I agree also with Leesa and Miami Girl this stuff is getting very petty. Michael Richards did fly off the handle a bit too much. People should be a little mad at the guy who was heckling him though too. Although it was very wrong that Richards went off and said racial epithets, the people in the crowd were calling him racial names too.

If you look at the screen during this "tirade" you can hear someone call him a cracker. Why aren't we getting mad at this person as well!? Is that not just as demeaning as calling someone a n*gger? Either way this is just so stupid to keep going on about. But as American consumers of gossip and just about anything else that comes our way I guess we will keep bitching about it until some other steamy gossip comes our way. Be sure to bitch about Kelly Ripa being a homophobic as well, thats a good one.

maggie

I AM AN AFRICAN AMERICAN WHO LOOOOOOVES THE SHOW SEINFELD. ESPECIALLY COSMO KRAMER. I JUST WENT OUT YESTERDAY & BOUGHT THE 7TH SEASON OF THE SHOW. I LIKE MEL GIBSON TOO. C'MON FOLKS, HOW MANY PPL HAVENT USED A RACIAL EXPLICIT IN THEIR VOCABULARY ONE TIME OR ANOTHER. BESIDES, THERE ARE NIGGERS IN EVERY RACE!!!!! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!! ROCK ON TROOPS!!!

Bill

As the father of a comedian who is in the "know" here,I can tell you what happened to trigger this guy Richards' public melt-down.First of all people are drinking alcohol at comedy clubs, usually they begin before the first comedian comes on stage, so they're already half in the bag when the warm-up act begins. They're often sitting with friends at tables filled with appetizers and alcohol , unlike what you find, say at a Stones Concert where folks arrive as couples and sit in row seating.
At a comedy club, a much more intimate setting, the warm-up guy does his best to warm-up the audience ,half of which is already ignoring him as he is giving his best shot and they are busy flirting with people at their table as well as at other tables, and they're getting louder and more obnoxious and drunk before the main act (like Richards) is even introduced !
Now Richards is introduced and, just like a singer..he has a routine..a set act that he has memorized...and which he makes, or trys to make sound as though he is making it up as he goes along...when..."BANG!" he and his act get rudely interupted by a group of noisy late arrivals who walk into the middle of the audience talking out LOUD, pinching asses, ordering drinks and totally distracting Richards Act and the audiences attention. Imagine this during the midst of your favorite song at a concert !?
So Richards momentum is killed,a joke patter crushed by a gang of thoughtless late arrivals...partly the fault of management, and Richards loses control of his audience...how do you restart a jke pattern at mid-point ? Have you ever had anyone ever interupt your joke half-way through ? It killed his whole night and then someone in this rude group yells at him that he is "not funny". Wow...I think Richards had justifiable cause for a lot more than calling some guy who was acting like a stupid n*gger a n*gger !
Face it...there are stereotypical Polish, Russian,German,British,Irish,Australian people etc. who reinforce a bad image...even though they don't represent the majority of such groups. "Borat" reinforces such Eastern European stereotypes and "Snoop" and Ludicrous reinforce the image of Black males as "n*ggers"...of course any Black who refers to another Black man as a n*gger just keeps the ball of prejudice rolling along...since they frequently use the term on the street as well as on "songs" they give the rest of us "permission" to use it too.
Bill

randy

What all you f***ing idiots who think that what Micheal Ridchards did was ok, and back up your argument with "When black people make racist jokes about white people it's ok, but when white people do it, there's a problem" fail to recognize, or acknowledge is that he wasn't joking, it wasn't an act. Ridchards himself has said that. If you want to make jokes about black people, I don't have a problem with that, black comedians do it all the time. If you want to use the N word while making the joke, I don't have a problem with that. if you want to call me a n*****....that I have a problem with. Liz....nice mouth. It would be even nicer with my dick in it.

maggie

UNLESS YOU ARE A N*****, WHY BE OFFENDED?

Nice as Pie

Oh my gosh! It's so amazing how unbelievable you people are. It's one freakin thing to tell a "joke." He was not making a "joke" he let his true self come out when his act was being heckled. Probably because it was not funny. So if I have ever been to a comedy club then it's okay that he talked that way and said the things he did because of the environment??? I don't F#@KIN think so.
"Who cares" hu? If you didn't care you wouldn't be blogging in the first place.
No matter what negative word you ever use to be derogatory to a white person will ever compare to what the word "n*gger" stands for and means. As an African American woman I do not use the word ever and I don't appreciate it when I hear other African Americans use it in any sort of way. So not all of us use that word and I think those of us that don't have every right just as any one else to speak up!

Robert

I dont think it's right with what he said however ... Just how is it fair that blacks make fun of whites all the time with honky and cracker and such... whatever happend to the freedom of speach act... if he chooses to insult other races then that is a chance he takes in hoping his career will go on... but that is his choice... both partys that are going after him are money hungry and that's it..plain and simple

PISSED OF NEGRO

I DONT CARE IF IT WAS IN A COMEDY CLUB. HE WASNT TRYING TO BE FUNNY. HE WAS TRYING TO HURT THEM ON PURPOSE BY THAT TIRADE. WHITE PEOPLE ALWAYS WANNA ACT LIKE RACISM DONT EXIST. PLEASE. AND HOW CAN I CARE ABOUT A WAR OVERSEAS WHEN AS A BLACK MAN, I AINT EVEN SAFE IN THIS COUNTRY.

Paul

Someone should tell Ms. Oschin that she's INDOORS and to lose the sunglasses...and the "holier than thou" posture as well!

ortez moore jr.

OF COURSE I EXPECT PEOPLE TO SAY ,"SO-WHAT" "GET-OVER-IT",THATS WHAT KEPT SLAVERY ALIVE-ANP IS KEEPING PREJUDICES ALIVE AND WELL. EVERYTIME YOU HEAR A RACIST REMARK AND YOU "CHUCKLE" TO FIT IN , YOURE JUST AS GUILTY AS THE PERSON WHO MADE THE REMARK."LUCKILY" WE HAD WHITES AS WELL AS OTHER RACES MARCH ,AND STAND UP FOR THEIR NEIGHBOR, CO-WORKER,FRIEND ,AND ATTEST TO THE FACT, THAT WERE NO DIFFERENT THAN THEM. I THINK IF MAJORITY RULED STILL, WED STILL BE IN CHAINS IN A LOT OF PLACES! SO , KEEP ON "DOWN-PLAYING IT , AND" SHRUGGING "YOUR SHOULDERS ,AND IT WILL CERTAINLY LIVE-ON. ANOTHER THING,COMEDY AND A PERSONAL ATTACK ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. I KNOW, IT DOESNT CONCERN YOU .

Thompson

I would like to adress the comment made by Liz. Why is it that you feel the need to degrade African Americans and Jewish people by making such an ignorant remark. I am also appalled that no one said anything about how offensive those remarks were. I believe that what Michael Richards said was in poor taste. I have seen comedy routines where different comedienes have said deragatory things about different races and they were not directed at iany particular person in the audience. I think that in those instances it was done as a part of their routine. Where as Michael Richard's comments were not. I myself do not condone the usage of any deragatory statements or words that may offend people . I do not think that it is funny at all. I also agree that the usage of the N word needs to stop period. I think that the media should back off of him. But I still believe that the topic of racism should still be discussed, within the media, because we still have a long way to go.

Previous 15 Comments | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments