Richards' Rant -- Not The First Time

11/22/2006 4:10 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael RichardsDid Michael Richards attack the Jews? Two Los Angeles residents have come forward and said that's exactly what happened last Spring at L.A. comedy club, The Improv.

Carol Oschin and J.P. Fillet say they were at The Improv on April 22 when Richards took the stage. They say that in the middle of Richards' skit, a man in the audience said something to the comedian, when Richards allegedly launched into an anti-Semitic rant. According to Oschin, Richards screamed at the audience member, "You f***ing Jew. You people are the cause of Jesus dying."
Offended couple - click to play

Oschin says the rant continued and Richards stormed off the stage. Oschin and Fillet say that, at first, they thought Richards' tirade was part of his act, but claim that it quickly became apparent it was not.

Richards' publicist, Howard Rubenstein, confirmed to TMZ that Richards did make derogatory comments about Jews, but says it was part of his act. Rubenstein says Richards told him, "I'm not anti-Semitic. I was playing a role and poking fun at the rednecks."

a guy who should be working

Sounds like he's just bad at handling hecklers. He jumps on the first thing he notices and drags it into the ground. He used the n-word for a black heckler, but if it was an Overwieght-American he might yell out "Shut the f*ck up, you fatty pig fatty!"

Curiosity Killed the KAT ;-)

I'd like everyone to know that I am saddened and horrified to read all the hate directed toward me and my people, as well the insults towards Jewish, Hisapnic and Asian people. I live with pride evryday, just like everyone on this earth should do, be able to stand tall, walk proud and be allowed the same opportunities equally.

I'd like to address the racist people who ar getting enjoyment out of other peoples pain, and to those who are applauding the bigoted comments made by some on this message board. Would you understand and accept the same comments that you have made that are racist made against your race, ethnic group or family? Just like there are people who you believe are inferior to you, there are those who FEEL the same way regarding your kind. Instead of me having a "Happy" Thanksgiving, I'm going to do something positive and go and speak to a group of teenagers to stop what has already begun in this society, maybe my voice will make a difference in at least one persons life, in a positive way...

This is sickening, it has gone beyond Michael Richards and his antics...

JP

Yeah, he's getting sued. Now I know what this is all about. They dont care what he called them, they arent upset... they just saw dollar signs when richards went off like that. fucking pathetic this country is. im moving to canada

lorinsercclass

To lighten up the mood here....I found this rather HILARIOUS!

David

It isn't Mr. Richards use of the word, 'N*gger', that bothers me. I hear blacks refer to themselves as 'my n*gga', or similar every day. As long as blacks keep using the word, it will only serve to further the derogatory message it conveys when white people use it! I've been called an 'A**hole' before, but I am not going to start refering to myself as one, nor would I do that to a friend. Mr. Richards' problem is with wanting to stick pitchforks in peoples asses, believing Jews are responsible for Jesus' death, and not wanting to ever comb his damned hair.

Karen

Are you real #65_Reason? Now who is passing judgement. I have you know my father was Native America/English. He did not stand for anybody being hurt,abused. He stood for them , He was called Nigger among other names. I am over 40 and he never torched anybody house . YOU ARE A RACIST> No, i didn't give to Katrina, but that does not make me a racist! How about when we lost almost everything in 2 tornados , where were you?

What about the people who were killed in the SuperDome or the 6 year old girl that was raped and murder by a gang . This was pushed under the rug. Why ain't the News and the people of New Orleans asking about thi? Where is her justice.? People stood by and let it happened .

Now about Richards, He has the right to Freedom of speech. Even though I don't agree with his speech. I think the Guys were trying to get a rile out of him. If they didn't like the show why not get up and leave why heckle anybody. How would you like someone come to your job and do that to you. This smells like a setup to me.

I agree with Miami/ I don't care what color you are , Everybody makes fun of everybody else! It is freedom of Speech!

Shante

Why do people keep saying he was making a joke? He was not joking, he said what he said to insult the two audience members because of there heckling. That comment he made hit below the belt. He could have said a million other things to insult them other than what he said, but of course all he saw was the color of their skin. He's a comedian, I know he could be more creative than that.

Pat

From what I have heard, the man formerly known as Kramer got very lucky in getting cast in a show that had funny writers. Apparently, his attempt at standup comedy, from people I know who have seen him, is a dismal failure. He is not naturally funny, nor apparently can he prepare funny stuff. Certainly his ad-hoc rantings are not funny.
So I think he is very frustrated that he cannot, and can never be, another Seinfeld....and his show business career is history (whether he said those things or not). Leave it all be now.

The Truth

Harp, guney, wop, kike, frog, slant, brotha... now can we all go back to reality?

Back in my neighborhood Krammer, or Gibson would be put in the back yard with the people they offended and they could ummmmm... talk(?) it out I would be interesting to check out how many times they shouted out thier insults.

Jerry

Yeah I am real sure Michael Richards is a jew hater with Jerry Seinfeld being one of his best friends! Some of you people need to get a life!

Melo

Even though the things Richards said were bellicose and uncalled for, the honest truth of it is that he wasn't totally in the wrong. First of all, the tirade was clearly provoked, it's not like he just came out and started yelling these things without a cause. Unfortunately I haven't seen a tape of how he was being harrassed, but obviously it made him really mad. Secondly, there is such a thing as freedom of speech. People can boycott him and be as pissed as they want but as far as taking legal action? Get real! Being p.c. has gotten so far out of hand. If it was a black comedian being heckled and he said "Get this cracker out of here! If we were in the hood he'd being layin' on the ground w/ a brick up his head" Do you think there would be all this coverage and cotroversy? Somehow I doubt it. And finally I would like to add that Larry David and Jerry Seignfeld, who wrote Seignfeld together, are both Jewish, so I doubt that Michael Richards is anti-semetic.

babydoll

The prob is that he is not a good stand up comedian and clubs need to stop booking him. Any comedian worth his or her grain of salt could man-handle a damn heckler without actually getting mad and storming off the stage. It is also clear from the tape that he was very angry and really believed what he was saying. Anyone that thinks this guy will have a career after this is dead wrong! Every time he tries to have a show on tv or at a club, folks will raise you know what! Yeah, he is human and made a mistake, but unfortunately we have all placed celebrities on a pedastal and their mishaps stay on our radars. As for the racists comments...you all are just showing how uneducated and ignorant you really are. The sad thing is that the average white girl would love to be with a black man and most white men want black women but only some are strong enough to go there...

Omawule

This is truly amazing. I can simply say, one of the requirements of belonging to a community is that you put the needs of the group before the needs of the individual. The bottom line is his comments were out of order and garnered the type of responses they deserved. Racist or not, simply wrong.
Further, I understand that blacks use the "N" word on a regular, but to paraphrase one of my white friends, "White people have misused the word in the past and as result have lost that privilege." So maybe we should all just put "Us" before "I."

Phil

Ok, so maybe he could have used a different method to make fun of a bunch of late comers to the show. I would like to mention a few facts that I haven't seen or heard of yet.
1) Video Taping by patrons is not allowed in Clubs ( Federal Copyright Laws)
2) Most clubs have a late comer policy, you are only allowed to sit down in between sets when the MC takes the stage. Those guys should have been there on time or should have been told to wait, PERIOD!!
Stand -up comedy is very very hard, pros make it look easy. Now every bleeding heart is coming forward to bitch and moan or to be interviewed. I guess this story will have to run it's course. I for one will continue to follow Mr. Richards career and could care less.

Muzik

There is a big difference between telling jokes involving race and personally insulting and attacking people based on race. MIchael Richards was not telling a joke at all and I think that point isn't clear to everyone. MIchael got angry because he was being heckled and said some disgusting and horrible things. His reaction was outrageous and extreme.

Yes, there are Black people who use the n word. There are women who call each other b*tches. There are gay people who call each other f*g. Just because these groups call each other these terms doesn't make it acceptable for other people to attack people with those names. I think people use these slurs amongst each other in a subconscious effort to take away the sting and reclaim a word that's been used to hurt them.

Also, just because SOME black people use the word doesn't mean that most black people condone its use. I don't understand the excuse of Michael because some blacks use the word. It's more about the intent than the usage. If a black person is attempting to disparage his own people with the use of the word, he will be ostracized as well. With mentalities like some displayed here, there is no wonder why racial relations are the way they are. If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem.