Richards' Rant -- Not The First Time

11/22/2006 4:10 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael RichardsDid Michael Richards attack the Jews? Two Los Angeles residents have come forward and said that's exactly what happened last Spring at L.A. comedy club, The Improv.

Carol Oschin and J.P. Fillet say they were at The Improv on April 22 when Richards took the stage. They say that in the middle of Richards' skit, a man in the audience said something to the comedian, when Richards allegedly launched into an anti-Semitic rant. According to Oschin, Richards screamed at the audience member, "You f***ing Jew. You people are the cause of Jesus dying."
Offended couple - click to play

Oschin says the rant continued and Richards stormed off the stage. Oschin and Fillet say that, at first, they thought Richards' tirade was part of his act, but claim that it quickly became apparent it was not.

Richards' publicist, Howard Rubenstein, confirmed to TMZ that Richards did make derogatory comments about Jews, but says it was part of his act. Rubenstein says Richards told him, "I'm not anti-Semitic. I was playing a role and poking fun at the rednecks."

TimCb

Boy, talk about your Seinfeld curse

Just A Girl

Just to add to #91...I was a huge fan of Sam Kinison who talked about everyone including women and I saw Lisa Lamponelli's stand up act. For those of you not familiar, she is an Italian American comedian who talks about EVERYONE in her show (gays, blacks, Latinos, etc.). I was cracking up. Comedian Bobby Slayton, who is white, has even made racial jokes while performing in black venues and had the audiences howling. I'm not a super sensitive, whiny, "I'm sending the ACLU after you because you looked at me funny" black person. I saw "Borat" and was on the floor and this was a movie where a black person was referred to as a "chocolate face". I put everything in it's proper context. If it's a good joke, I will laugh. So for the people who say that we can't take a joke (keyword, here) stop lumping all black people together!

However, I'm not down with racially charged rants regardless of whoever and wherever they're coming from. If anyone thinks what Richards said was harmless and not a big deal, then all they need to do is read some of the comments on these boards and the hate they stirred up. Is he a racist or isn't he? Don't even want to start going back and forth on that one, but the man is 57 years old. He's not a kid and should know better.

Rachel

#106 "I said it so what" Your comments made me laugh, I find that a bit disturbing

Amias

Can a Jew be anti-semitic?

What the Heck!!!!!

ALL OF US CANT STAND RICHARDS IN HOTT MIAMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rachel

I've always been a huge fan of Richards, for those of you who don't know he has been in numerous movies and has had other television roles. People just naturally associate him with Kramer, but believe me he is well respected in the entertainment industry. Having said that, what he did was uncalled for, no doubt about it. I however believe his apology was sincere and I accept it. It seems that once someone does something of this nature they can't win. He's trying to make amends, has apologized more than once and still it's not enough. Had he NOT done these things some in our society would be blasting him for that. And then comes the demand for money. If all of this supposed "hurt" can be magically cured with money I have to believe no one is all that hurt. Maybe opportunist and a bit lazy. People need to accept his apology and move forward. Stop playing victim and perhaps people will have a bit more respect for you. Personally, I think Richards will come out of this fine in the end. The majority of his fans are white and we will accept his apology.

Rachel

For the last time he is NOT Jewish, he was raised Catholic

just keeping it real

Kudos #99 you were right on Happy Thanksgving!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just A Girl

Hecklers have been around comedy shows for years so why some people seemed so shocked they were in the audience, I do not know. Hell, "Seinfeld" even did an episode about them. Of course, they are trying to get a rise out of a comedian! However, there are some responses that are anticipated such as talking about the person's hair, the way they dress, etc. But most people usually expect generic responses and not a derogatory reference to anyone's race. I wouldn't sue, but hell, is anyone really surprised? You know, as much as I find Dr. Phil annoying at times (just my opinion), there is one thing that he says I will paraphrase that applies here...while a person's actions can be deplorable (in this case, the hecklers) a person can respond in such an off way that the attention can be taken off what the initial cause of the response was and put the spotlight on the reaction. I don't say it as well as he does though.

tony

Big f---ing deal, the Jews did kill Jesus. Lets forget this mess and go on with life.

JEB

Fuck Kramer. :)

FireballRun.com`

Look he's a comedian- for all I care he could say fuck all the queers- it's comedy- stop trying to make this all "PC." The man is entitled to his opinion, I mean the Jews did whack Jesus- it's a fact. Not that theres anything wrong with the Jews.

Dimples

They were showing on TV this evening a skit of Michael Richards in black face.
It is obvious that he is a racist.

John

I like how the Prejudiced "Celebs list " has only white "celebs" on it. I guess we are to supposed to believe that no non-whites have made prejudiced remarks. What a joke.

randal

Funny how these people came forward after this incident....hmmm. If it was such a big deal then, why didn't they come forward.

Answer: Because no one really cares who Michael Richards is, especially if it was just a verbal account. But since someone caught him on camera, its open season...what a joke.

You want to see some blatent racism, watch Martin Lawrence on Def Comedy jam making fun of how white people talk, dress or act. I don't see people yelling racism anytime Louis Farakan talks. Bottom line is noone cared about Michael Richards until now. How does what Michael Richards says affect anyone? Except maybe the people in the audience.

If you really want to protect people from "harm" lets focus on real issues...there is a war in Iraq, a genocide in Darfur, not to mention poverty and homelessness in our country and a massive illeagal immigration problem. Stop focusing on celebrities, start focusing on real world issues.