Mel to Michael: Slurs Happen

11/29/2006 7:49 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Richards is getting support from someone who knows exactly what he's going through -- Mel Gibson.
Mel Gibson and Michael Richards
Gibson, infamous for his anti-semitic invective after being pulled over for drunk driving, tells Entertainment Weekly, "I feel really badly for the guy. He was obviously in a state of stress. You don't need to be inebriated to be bent out of shape." Ain't that the truth!

"You don't need to be inebriated to be bent out of shape." --Mel

Regarding Richards' fate in the media, Mel added, "They'll probably torture him for a while and then let him go. I like him." Of course he does.

Looks like Kramer can count on work in a Gibson flick. Perfect pairing.

Darian

I judge people on what they SAY not what they DO. I am still a fan of Kramer and of Mel Gibson. although Kramer did go overboard with teh "50 years ago" remark but calling someone a n*gger (thats rude to the other blacks in the room who werent acting like fools and didnt deserve to have to hear that) its not that big of a deal. blacks do it all the time, as a matter of fact they have made it part of everyday language. Besides Kramer never broke any laws, and when Gibson did, he got prosecuted just like everyone else... so whats the big deal?

Loretta

I agree with most of the people on here...some of what people have said in this blog deeply disturbs me.you guys should all focus on the many different people in our war that are dying because apparently they know no color..Mel Gibson and that kramer guy said some racial slurs...get over it..they have freedome of speech..and so what two black guys got their feelings hurt!...so cry about it all ready..but you know?....maybe Michael Richards should sue them for calling him a cracker at the end of his racist tirade!...they both threw them out..People lets be educated...not concern ourselves with the idiots of the world..because ignorance is bliss.And all comics bust the chops of many different races..although I dont think Michael Richards was just busting chops.What he did was wrong..but lets get over...lets not follow but lead as an example....There's ignorant people in all races..so nothing can ever be blamed on one race...the racial slurring is disgusting..and here we are in the 2 thousands..and people are still using them?....that saddens me bc these issues were supposed to be over long ago.being black(as I am) or a jew or japanese(as I am) or hispanic shouldnt be a problem for anyone...I never chose to be this way...Lets try getting to know people before we notice their color!....AND........lets bring our troops home safely!...

Loretta

you guys need some better to do then hate!...

That Guy

I've read some pretty terrible things in these comments. I find Mel's and Richard's predicament a sad thing. Both have made some awful remarks, but they both have apologized. But do we forgive them? Nope, because we're not done tearing into them. Their kind of situation keeps the media going.
I, for one, feel badly for them and accept both of their (what I feel to be) sincere apologies.

MKS

Funny, if you ask a person, in let's say Europe, how they identify themselves, they will tell you they are British, French, etc. NO MATTER what their race. They identify with the country (just ask any Canadian), not the race. Only in the US do we seperate ourselves and demand special treatment because we're African-American, Mexican-American, etc. The only way you actually can call yourself African-anything is if you were actually BORN IN AFRICA!! Otherwise you are just another dumb American (yes, I do include myself in that). The chinese were forcefully brought over here to work on the railroads, same as the blacks were brought over to work on plantations. The difference- their kids ARE NOT WHINING about the past, but are working hard to succeed in today's world. Unless you yourself were dragged onto a ship, brought over, and forced to work on a plantation, SHUT UP!

PS: After all, you are using the white-man's language, i.e. the English language.

lili

Um,

The African-American term was given by the WHITE govt to distinguish american blacks from carribean blacks, and africans...IDIOT!

What does Richards have to do with African Americans asking for anything, you idiots?

The last I heard, FAMILY TIES GET WASPS INTO IVY LEAGUE INSTITUTIONS, IT'S CALLED "LEGACY"

SO STOP BEING HYPOCRITES!!!!!

LEGACY = GIVING IT AWAY TO WHITES, WHO STILL CAN'T COMPETE AFTER ALL OF THESE GENERATIONS.

THE ASIANS ARE TAKING YOU DOWN!!!

LEGACY=GIVING IT AWAY TO THE WHITES WITHOUT EQUAL PLAYING GROUND

GET THAT STRAIGHT!

An imperfect human, unlike the rest of you

I like both of them, despite their unfortunate mistakes. To err is human.

Candice

# 4..F*** YOU...I am not on welfare..never have been..and my whole family has worked since they were young...SO F*** YOU

Candice

I am not supporting Mel's movie...

Jess

Candice - that is very unusal, your family is one of a kind girl (being a n*gger that is)

Danielle

What keeps the rhetoric alive is the very real awareness that words like the ones used by these two people( Mr. Gibson and Mr. Richards) in particular are not merely simple slip ups. We all know in are hearts that what they said is part of a deep seeded hatred toward the people they spoke against ad maybe others as well. A slip up is saying, "I'll meet you Tuesday" and really mean "Thursday"..."oops! I meant Thursday". I believe that if we all unite against all demeaning, biased and hateful language toward anyone we would never have to use this energy trying to sort out why the other is hurt. I remember Roy Firestone, sportscaster, making commentary about a Native American protest against the "Washington Redskins". Native Americans are deeply offended by this reference. Rightly so, It was never a name used toward them that was meant to be "complimentary". The fact that it is used and glamourized by a very popular and high profile sport and team is hurtful to them because it speads a message that it is acceptable to call a Native American, "Redskin". He summed it up this way - If the group of which the comment is targeted is offended then don't use it. He goes on to say that we cannot imagine being in their shoes and how a deragatory reference makes them feel because we are not them and have never experienced the things they have. Therefore - if they are offended, do not say or use that reference. Such a simple solution can do a world of good. No comedian Black or white should use a reference the is a negative attack or reference toward another race, sexual orientation/preference or religion. It's a good place to start. There are enough funny things to talk about without tearing each other down. Hopefully, we wouldn't teach our children this is acceptable behavior and the same holds for adults. When we care - truly care about and respect each other so many problems will disappear - just imagine...

lundy

ALL YOU RACISTS SUCK!!!!!

Janeshia

INTERESTING . . .

VERY OBVIOUS THAT MANY OF YOU ON HERE BREED AND INSTILL RACISM IN YOUR HOUSEHOLDS, WHICH IS EVIDENT IN THE COMMENTS YOU ARE POSTING. WOW!! CRAZY!! ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND. AND WHAT HAPPENS IN THE DARK WILL SURELY APPEAR IN THE LIGHT.

KRAMER DID NOTHING THAT HE HASN'T DONE ALREADY BEFORE. THE ONLY THING IS IS THAT THOSE VERY HARSH AND UNNECESSARY REMARKS OF HIS WERE REPEATED IN AN ENVIRONMENT OUTSIDE OF HIS RESIDENCE - IN THE PUBLIC EYE.

I FIND IT VERY FUNNY THAT A LOT OF THESE COMMENTS ARE POSTED BY UNEDUCATED HUMAN-BEINGS, PROBABLY PARENTS OF CHILDREN WHO SPEND ALL DAY ADOPTING AND MIRRORING THE AFRICAN-AMERICAN CULTURE, STYLE, VERNACULAR, AND WAY OF LIFE. PARENTS OF CHILDREN WHO THRIVE OFF OF HIP-HOP, RAP, G-UNIT CLOTHING, ROCA WEAR, P. DIDDY FASHION, BLING, AND SO ON. FUNNY HUH?! YOU ARE BASHING THE RACE OF PEOPLE THAT YOUR VERY OWN CHILDREN IDOLIZE, ADORE, AND WANT TO BE!! SUCH IDIOTS.

YOU'VE ALL BEEN CAUGHT!! ARE YOU REALLY RACISTS OR ARE YOU ALL PUTTING ON A FRONT?! CAN YOU REALLY BE RACIST AND BUY YOUR CHILDREN APPAREL & MUSIC FROM A RACE THAT YOU "HATE" WITH A PASSION? CAN YOU REALLY BE RACIST AND USE ALL OF THE INVENTIONS THAT AFRICAN-AMERICANS HAVE CREATED? I MEAN, GEESH, WE SHOULD HAVE A LOT MORE PEOPLE WALKING ON THE STREETS TO THEIR DESTINATIONS, BECAUSE GARRETT A. MORGAN INVENTED THE TRAFFIC SIGNAL, AND BOY OH BOY, WAS THAT BLACK MAN AN INNOVATOR!!!

HONESTLY, GET SOME HELP PEOPLE. AFRICAN-AMERICANS ARE COOL. YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT =) YOUR CHILDREN ALL WANT TO BE LIKE THEM!!!!! HA HA HA.

EVERYONE IS COOL. JUST SOME PEOPLE OR TOO MANY PEOPLE HAVE MENTAL AND LOGICAL GLICHES THAT HINDER THEIR COOLNESS AND PLACE THEM IN A CATEGORY OF BEING VERY SICK AND EVIL. THANK GOD FOR MENTAL HEALTH FACILITIES!! I TRUST THAT MANY OF YOU WILL BEGIN YOUR SESSIONS SOME TIME SOON.

PEACE LOVE UNITY

Danielle

I would like to apologize to all the people who have had to read hurtful and unnecessary comments on this post. I am sorry. I would like to apologize for all the comedians who said hurtful and unnecessary things toward anyone in their "shows". I am sorry. I wish for us all to end the hate, bigotry and suffering. With my heartfelt apologies, please, Let the healing begin.

Cabo

First of all, Mel, it's "feel BAD," not "feel badly." If you "feel badly," your sense of touch is off. But of course, your sense of reason is off, so, well, never mind.

My VERY FIRST THOUGHT when I read that Mel "feels badly" for Michael Richards was when OJ Simpson had advice for Scott Peterson.

Birds of a feather . . . .