Perez Hilton Sued For $7.5 Million

11/30/2006 9:23 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Perez HiltonA Hollywood photo agency is suing snarky gossip blogger Perez Hilton aka Mario Lavandeira, for copyright infringement. The agency claims Perez used their images on his website "without permission from the agency, thereby violating federal law."

The tabloid agency is seeking over $7.5 million dollars in damages from Perez for what they say is a loss of profits and injury to their reputation. The photo agency believes their pics have played a large part in the success and profitability of perezhilton.com, which reportedly charges between $9,000 and $16,000 a week for ad space. It costs plenty to appear next to Britney's crotch!

Perez tells TMZ, "I have yet to be personally served with this lawsuit. My lawyers and I will address the situation when we have the opportunity to review the materials."

The self-proclaimed "Gossip Gangsta," who calls a local L.A. coffee shop his "office," is currently scheduled to appear on the upcoming "Big in '06 Awards" on VH1, and on MTV's New Year's Eve special.

READ DOCUMENTS

Alix

He was given every opportunity to do the right thing, but apparently believes that he is above the law. Take that thief down!

Day

Perez deserves it. Those of you who think Perez 'tells it like it is' are really deluded. Perez lies and exagerates and loves that his fans hang on his every word. I don't see any scoops at that site, ever. Haven't visited in months and don't plan to ever again.

Tdog

You guys all suck. Perez is my source of info and if you can't handle someone using a photo, get over yourself. I work for a copyright/patent/trademark firm and am an attorney, so f*** you all! GET A LIFE

Tdog

Uh do you all really care who posts it first? obviously you care more about readiing what happens to celbritards, so who cares where you read it first. You are all such a bunc of retards I can't believe it...GET A LIFE won't you?

Tdog

YOU ALL SUCK AND HAVING NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH YOUR TIME BUT RIP ON SOMEONE WHO IS MAKING A LIVING DOING WHAT YOU WISH YOU COULD BE DOING BUT ARENT, SO GET OVER IT AND SHUT UP.

Connie

"I work for a copyright/patent/trademark firm and am an attorney."

T(urd)dog: If you did, then you'd know how it works! Pants on fire???

Simone

Perez is an absolute pigheaded tw*t. You can't claim to be successful when you're STEALING peoples photos. Copyright laws ar ethere for a reason. If celebrities didn't want paparazzi running after them so much, then they'd stop drawing attention to themselves. Don't you people get it, celebrities use the paparazzi for their own publicity and personal pockets.

Go get a real job 'Perez' and leave it to those who know how to do business properly, you're a filthy loser.

Batsie

Don't exactly know what to think of this. I adore Perezzitto immensely. I work at a press agency so am familiar with copyright etc... He's the age old example of persistence with a big mouth and a snippey tongue. And it works! Every time! If someone has this gift it is guaranteed 2 break out at one point and become huge. As 2 the whole picture ordeal. He would have been more then fine if he would have mentioned the source. And as I remember most times he did. I learned of X17 via his site. Watermarks cannot be taken of images by someone else other then the source btw. I guessing those pics were sent to him by an insider (X17 if it's you; check your staff!). As said I haven't seen the pictures without watermark everybody's talking about. I wish him all the best, happy someone found something they're good at! He's an extremely friendly person, although I'm a %u201Cnon-famous person%u201D he has always replied 2 all my mails instantly and with great friendliness. Hard 2 find someone who makes sh*tloads who does that. The law suit will show and tell what actually happened and see which party is in the wrong. We don't even know who's suing Mister Perrezzitto.

Galley Wench, somewhere in the Caribbean

I think this is a double standard.

First of all, they took the photo's with no permission, i.e. copyright. It could be me or you and Life or People decided we looked cute or depressed, etc.

Screw the lawsuit. Perez know's he will win and if his lawyers have not become saavy as of yet, have them call me.

I know from experience. My daughters office is on Sunset. I NEVER ask her anything but I guess she see's it daily.

Just because the Mags pay money and they think they own it, wrong because once again the subject never gave permission in the first place.

That said and done, everyone have a nice day.

victoria

Nothing against the guy personally, I don't know him---so I don't believe in dogging the guy out just to DOG him out.

Concerning the "professional" side of thing---for LACK of a better term---his blog shouldn't get anymore "free advertisement" than it already has. Many other sites use others work w/o permission. The DIFFERENCE is he only uses others work to portray ugly or negative "information" about LEGITIMATE celebrity reputations. Believe it or not Perez, not ALL gay people are mentally prepared to be OUTED, strictly b/c YOU deem it okay! We all love our gossip, or we wouldn't be here or commenting, but there is a fine line in EVERYTHING, no matter HOW much we hate to envision it being there, and Perez crosses it WAY too much. Why is it so bad to simply CREDIT someone for the work THEY busted THEIR ass for? That's all you needed to do to avoid this silly lawsuit!(and yes, ANY photogs who sue over this guy's blog ARE silly---he is only a flash in the pan & won't be a blip on the blog screen 2 years from now)

He SHOULD be made an example of. Someone has GOT to start owning up to the responsibility of stealing others work--and Perez, you put yourself in the hot seat with more than just a smile--so you SHOULD get "burned". And no, I'm not talking about that feeling in your penis either!

(OH COME ON...it WAS funny....had to, HE would've)

Nick Dykler

Perez Hilton is a phony!!! I used to love his site, but you can see he's buying into his own hype... Is commenting on celebrities or trying to become one himself?

Caroline

Unfortunately, #12 S Gotti, you won't ever see him in a club, because you cant get in where he can.
Go take it up the ass like you always do.

REY-noldo

Karma's a bitch and this bitch got served!!!!

WOO HOO!

Justin

.....Perez Sucks. He's a disgusting human. What a waste of flesh
His site is not different than any other blogger. Except for the fact he kisses that whore Paris's ass.

ronny

oooooo Caroline!! What a great comeback!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments