Mum's the Word on N-Word for Funnymen

12/3/2006 2:02 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Has Michael Richards' racist rant made the n-word forbidden comedy fruit? How taboo is it, really? Is it taboo enough for the biggest, brashest African-American comics to ban it from their own acts?

TMZ contacted Dave Chappelle, DL Hughley, Bernie Mac, Cedric the Entertainer and Katt Williams through their reps, and their response was uncharacteristically laconic. Last week, comedy vet Paul Mooney, who was a writing partner of Richard Pryor, and who appeared on "Chappelle's Show," said he was forsaking the word in his comedy henceforth -- but since then, none of his younger colleagues have taken a similar pledge.

One source, who has worked with almost all of the comics, tells TMZ that Richards' screed will probably end up being a boon to all of them, providing them not just with material, but stoking interest in their acts -- and whether they'll use the word and how often. The renewed focus on the n-word and its implications will, says our source, no doubt give the word itself added piquancy on stage, "until it becomes calloused and overused again."

some like it hott

Honestly, why is this being taken the way it is? I mean no one was begging that everyone stopped using the N-word 300 years ago during slavery. No one said hey maybe we shouldn't call them N*ggers when they weren't wanting us in schools with the whites. So why do people insist on erasing that word from our vocabulary? I mean people didn't work their asses off to get us the right to have freedom of speech just so it can be taken away. I am black and I'm happy I am. I call my white friends n*ggers I call my black friends n*ggers. I call my white friends crackers and we all laugh. I laugh when people say it, especially comedians. When i get pissed I say it. So this whole thing is just ridiculous and blown out of proportion. I mean people are going to feel however they want to feel, if being ignorant is how they choose to act then so be it, that is the choice those people have made. DL, CED, BERNIE, CHAPPELLE...keep saying N*GGER its what made you who you are...PAUL MOONEY---> No one really cares what you say or don't say....really!

Monroe

Firstly, white people are have absolutely no memory, respect or analytical skills regarding black history in this country.

Black pagents were created because WHITE people would not allow blacks to enter into those pagents. You had a WHITE Miss America, Teen America for DECADES!

Black colleges were started and funded by WHITE people because WHITE people did not want THEIR CHILDren to go to school with blacks. Do any of you read!

You ask us to forget about slavery but you CAN'T LET GO OF OJ! One man and one crime! You do everything in your power to mention it in every discussion that evolves around race. .

Yes, slavery was a long time ago but it didn't disapper and everything perfect. It's been a LONG journey. My MOTHER (not great, great grandmother or some far away ancestor) who grew up in South Carolina and has VIVID memories of the KKK, hatred, and lynchings. She grew up in Segregated South with Jim Crow laws, sepreate but unequal, and lots of racial hostility. Blacks on one side of the town and whites on the other. PS It's still like this in a lot of the country.

People pass their hatred, racism and hostility down do their children like DNA. We as black people deal with that every day.

Tiger woods before he was Tiger Woods got turned away at country clubs because they didn't want to admit a minority. When he one the Master's the first time around. A prominent WHITE golfer made a racist comment because he was unhappy that a minority one the title.

whatever

All of these posts are so interesting. Why has the focus shifted from Michael Richards comments to black comics who use the word n*gger in their act? How are the two even related? Did the focus shift to other jewish comics out there that make kike and jew jokes in their routines after Mel Gibsons rant about jewish people? Oh, then everyone was soooo sympathetic clutching their pearls appauled by his comments-even commenting on how his career may be affected oh no! And people stop softening up the word it is what is the word is N*GGER-not the n word. That is some sh*t white people made up to make themselves feel better or to not seem "racist" by saying N*gger. I mean websters dictionary dont have a hard time with the word N*GGER its in there, and it will even tell you who is a N*GGER-people of african decent. Willie Lynch letter will tell you how to make a N*GGER, and who wrote that? Oh yeah white people but now they are trying to sell this sh*t product of other black comic use the word n*gger. Give me a f***ing break so I guess if Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle stop using the word n*gger it will somehow disappear from the face of the planet? And some how people like Michael Richards will never say or think it again? Its more than a word it is the behavior that comes with the word-and white people f***ing know that!

Lenn K

Do we need close to 7300 posts on this blog to for you idiots to call each other racist names. Stop your selves we just don't care. It's over go on with life if you can. Sometimes I just wonder how people can just act like buttwipes.

Kris

Mr Jones, will you marry me :-) ?

If you are taken, Puhleaze is my equal choice (um, if you're a man).

We, are not amused.

Question: Do you longwinded brianiacs really think anybody reads all your self-serving BS? Jesus, Mary and Joesph! It's just a word, like: putz, boring, crapola, stop allready!
MAN RULE #2: THOSE THAT WISH TO STOP USING THE WORD "N*GGER", YOU ARE HEREBY GRANTED PERMISSION TO DO SO IMMEDIATLY!
Those that would like to continue to use the word "n*gger" you are hereby ALLOWED TO DO SO. Free of guilt!

estee

I have a couple of questions. 1. Why do you people think that all black people use the N word. 2. If you are not black why do you feel you need to use this word.?3. Why are you so concern what black people call each other? 4. Since when did words like honky, and cracker mean ignorant, or is used as a tool for intimidation, humiliation, in order to control a race of people. People need to start looking at the history of the word and understand why the word shouldn't be used by anyone. When a person say this to a person regardless of race it is an insult of intelligent and you are mainly using it to show that you are above that person. So my logic is that people who are non white saying this word are saying it only to show that they are above the person that they saying it too, and they are using it as a tool to insult and hurt. I also understand that in order take away the hurt this word has we have to it so that we can all move on. Examples like picaninny, or buc wheat. When you realized that you don't represent those stereotypes and accept that these are false representation of people of color than people will stop using thes words. Eventually these words will be obsolete but until we can accept that they exist people of all colors and races will have these words in their arsenal.

Tommie

WHITE PEOPLE NEED TO GIVE IT UP AND STOP SAYING STUPID THINGS "WHY CAN BLACK PEOPLE CALL EACH OTHER THE "N" WORD BUT WE CAN'T" OR "WHY DO BLACK PEOPLE MAKE SUCH A BIG ISSUE WHEN A WHITE PERSON CALL THEM THE "N" WORD", ETC., UNLESS YOU HAVE WALKED IN A BLACK PERSON'S SHOES, YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE AND IT IS A BLACK THING THAT WHITE PEOPLE WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND. THAT WOULD BE LIKE BLACK PEOPLE TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THE MINDS OF WHITE PEOPLE THAT HAVE DONE SOO MUCH EVIL AND ATROCITIES TO BLACK PEOPLE AND OTHER RACES. THEY CAN'T. ONLY WHITE PEOPLE CAN UNDERSTAND THAT, BUT YOU DON'T SEE BLACK PEOPLE ON THESE BLOGS ASKING QUESTIONS AND COMMENTING ABOUT WHY WHITE PEOPLE DID WHAT THEY DID. BECAUSE THAT IS BEYOND COMPREHENSION FOR BLACK PEOPLE JUST LIKE USING THE "N" WORD IS BEYOND COMPREHENSION FOR WHITE PEOPLE.

AND BECAUSE IT IS SOMETHING THAT WHITE PEOPLE WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND AND SHOULD STOP EVEN TRYING TO UNDERSTAND, THEY SHOULD JUST REMEMBER THE "N" WORD THAT THEY.... CREATED IS A WORD THAT IS STEEPED IN RACIST BLOOD WITH A TERRIBLE HISTORY BEHIND IT AND EVERYTIME THAT WORD COMES OUT OF A WHITE PERSON'S MOUTH, IT IS LIKE RE-LIVING THAT TERRIBLE HISTORY ALL OVER AGAIN FOR BLACK PEOPLE.

AND NOW, WHITE PEOPLE HAVE TO ACCEPT AND DEAL WITH THE CONSEQUENCES OF THE EVIL THAT THEY....STARTED. IT'S JUST THAT SIMPLE.

coco puff

I'm sick and tired of all these p***ies. It's just a word and if the n*ggers think they're the only ones who can use it, go f*** yourself! To me, n*gger means the same as white trash, no difference. Grow the f*** up and stop bitching like a girl.

Whatthehellevah

I am sick and damn tired of white people and this bullsh*t they dish out about how whites are so disciminated against and blah, blah, blah. You just don't get it and if someone tried to explain it, you still wouldn't get it because you are incapable of doing so.

If you have a friend and you call them by a term you both agreed upon, does that mean that someone else has the permission to do the same? Not necessarily, so quit this bullcrap about, "How come blacks can say it, and a white person can't." My only answer to that is to check your damn history books for the answer. Some blacks use the "N" word as a term of endearment. When white use/used it, trust me, it wasn't a term of endearment. It was in a degrading fashion (listen to Michael Richard's rant again if you don't understand what I mean). I personally do not and will not use the word, but I am definitely more tolerant of blacks using it than I would with whites. Do you get the picture? Let me ask the white people who feel they have a right to call a black person the "N" word? Why is it important to do so and why would you want to? What would be your motive?

Also, white people stop this bullsh*t about blacks being more racists than whites. If that falicy were true (which it isn't), we sure learned it from the masters of racism. What racist acts have you encountered with someone black?

Another thing, this same tired crap about, "How come blacks have BET and scholarship?" Well Latinos and Native Americans have the same thing so if you are going to bitch, let's be equal opportunity, okay. Also do you have a problem with "Lifetime TV for Women." Why should certain demographics have stations that cater to their interests? Whites have the same thing. Every network available caters to what is of importance to whites. Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself.

I am damn sick and tired of whites trying to define blacks. Look, quit trying to tell black people who we should or should not like or listen too. Mind your own business. Unfortunately, white people tend to be shortsighted when it comes to their own issues. Didn't think you had any, huh? In the words of Dr. Phil, GET REAL!

Good bye.

_aLL3y3zPonM3_

TO Puhleaze, You hit the nail on the head. Apparently all the RACIST BASTARDS HERE have forgotten that the reason why black or any other minority groups had a BLACK MISS AMERICA OR THE NEGRO COLLEGE FUND IS BECAUSE YOU DID NOT WANT THEM AMONG YOU..Like OMG,I can't believe how dumb some of you are. AND TO Billy Ray, either you are just stupid and retarded, or you don't know your history. Black people are not the ones to be knowN as CRAZY,MURDERS & RAPING..THAT WOULD BE YOU,YOURSELF. AND AS FOR THE AIDS, EVERYONE KNOWS THAT IT'S THE WHITES WHO SPREAD IT..THEY HAD IT & DIDN'T EVEN KNOW,BUT WENT AROUND TO ALL THE DIFFERENT COUNTRIES SPREADING THEIR NASTY SELVES & GIVING IT TO INNOCENT PEOPLE..THIS WORLD DOES NOT NEED HATEFUL PEOPLE LIKE YOU.YOU ARE THE SCUM OF EARTH.AS A MATTER OF FACT,YOU SHOULD JUST JUMP OFF A BRIDGE..THE WORLD WOULD BE SOOOOO MUCH BETTER OFF..

Whatthehellevah

"Laughing at all of YOU", tell me a time in history when everyone was treated the same? It'll never happen. I wish with all my heart that that were a reality, but it never will be as long as white are in denial of the role they play in history to create such turmoil. Not just with people of color, but with other whites.

Don't get defensive. Just think about it.

Whatthehellevah

"Black and not offended" the sad part is that you don't see anything wrong with it. Your comment reminds me of the apathetic mentality of some blacks in America.

coco puff

Oh, please stop with the slavery thing. The Danish ran the slave trade and they did not net and capture Negroes. They were purchased from African tribal kings. The blacks don't want to admit it but there own people sold them into slavery. Before you post a comment about this, know your history.

My two cents

aLL3y3(blah, blah, blah): This world doesn't need hateful people? I think if you went back and read your "rant", you'd see you are as hateful as some of the others here.."As a matter of fact, you should jump off a bridge...the world would be sooo much better off" is not hateful??? Try another blog my dear...you have nothing to contribute here except just the common, "rant".