Are All Racial Slurs Created Equal?

12/7/2006 1:29 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The Laugh Factory put comedians who perform there on notice -- each time you use the N-word on stage, you'll get fined $20 and banned from the club for three months. Noticeably absent from the Laugh Factory proclamation is a similar penalty for other racial slurs.

Michael Richards' racist rant at the Laugh Factory clearly put the heat on the comedy club. But did they really get the message? We called the flack for the Laugh Factory and asked if they would nail comedians who used words "kike" or "spic." We have not heard back from the club, but we'd like to hear from you.

Simone

All of those foul terms are words, just words. If comedians want to use them to be EXTREMELY FUNNY with them, then I have no problem with it.

We just can't go around banning WORDS.

divalicious

Let the racist comments begin..................................

Tmz is lame

How about a fine for using the words;
Cracker or Honkey?
I think I will sue Chris Rock the next time he uses the word "cracker." It really offends me and I think I will have to call Gloria Allred and hire her to squeeze some money out of him for using that word so often.

amy

Of coarse they haven't responded.

Tmz is lame

#2
The story in itself is racist. It allows fines for using racial slurs against all races except the caucasion one. That is WRONG.

Curiosity Killed the KAT ;-)

I feel that if any of those words are used during a comedy routine, it's okay, but if they are used as an insult directed at someone attending a comedy show, it is being used in a racist and derogatory manner, which is and should be unacceptable.

CL TX

What ever happened to Freedom of Speech? My two cents...if you don't like it, don't listen to them or support that particular person.

And, a side comment to that...why is okay for them to call their own kind the N word but not okay for whites or others to?

CL TX

Curiosity Killed the KAT ;-)

CL, why is okay for you to call someone that you know a bitch or other insulting name, possibly out of anger, but would be upset if someone else did the same thing to you, a friend,or a loved one? I don't think it's right to use the word period just like I don't think it's right to hurl profanities at someone, no matter what the reason.

Sick & Tired of the Race Card ALWAYS Being Played

Right on #3! I could not have said it better myself.

I believe you can hear both of those words spewing out of the mouths of the men who Richards was yelling at. Why hasn't anyone raised holy hell about that??? Oh wait I forgot, racism is only a one way street in this country.

Afiya

This mess is getting way out of hand...it wasn't WHAT Michael said...it was HOW he said it...damn people...get a freakin' grip...

???

If it's good one ,it's good for all. The Laugh Factory stands to lose some dough with this I bet. After all,the almighty dollar is what really matters. They only became all concerned and PC after the Michael Richards incident. From the time The Laugh Factory opened their doors to the MR incident when did it bother them or anyone else what was said? Does anybody know? Just asking.

Pamela London

I don't believe it's appropriate for anyone to use racial remarks against any nationaiity or ethnic group or anyone whose differnt. Especially when someone bashes their own race...To me, that is just plain nonsense. But it's even more pitiful and ridiculous, to me, when someone that happens to be slightly overweight or handicapped and they put themselves down or someone else whose in their same predicament. Whatever happened to the days when laughter originated form someone who was just simply acting out funny gestures or they knew how to make you laugh. Examples Lucille Ball, Bob Hope, Carol Burnett...They kept Comedy in its place and they kept it clean. Just my opinion..

tmz is fat

didnt i read this same story on here yesterday???

Jim

When will you people learn these kind of idiotic policies are not fot the caucasians of the world. We are responsible for all the worlds ills and should pay forever for them. Now get back to work so you have the time and the money to take care of those who are entitled. Damn White people! Ha Ha

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments