Mel Gets Assist From Clooney, DeVito

12/8/2006 1:27 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Britney has Paris and Lindsay, Mel has George and Danny.

Last night on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," Gibson claimed Hollywood's most famous drinking buddies are helping him stay off the booze, saying "If I ever feel like clutching for the turpentine, DeVito and Clooney just talk me through it."

Gibson's attempts at humor came while he was stuffing his face full of food. "The security guard told me that if I walked a straight line I could get a cookie," Gibson said.

Mel also revealed that he's been sober for about four and a half months, saying, "It's kind of a gradual thing. It doesn't happen overnight. And it takes a little time, that's all. The lights might come on." And then there was light.

Mel's latest film "Apocalypto," with dialog in various Mayan dialects, opens in theaters today, if you care.

SouthernGirl

Real Thing,

You're a dumbass. Spike Lee has done several films featuring mostly white cast members. Is that your criteria for being a racist? Spike Lee has directed more movies with whites than Mel Gibson has directed movies with blacks. Does that make Mel Gibson a racist? Of course not...stop talking out your ass! Do some research and then get back to me:

25th Hour
Summer of Sam
Clockers
Inside Man

By the way, whites already have a WET, it's called NBC, ABC, and CBS.

Eli

yeap thats what I thought racist, racist , racist, you should be ashamed SouthernNYC!

CBS, NBC AND ABC? WTF?

Next thing you know you want BNC (black news channel) trust me that would be on all dang day with all types of sh*t! lol

SouthernGirl

I see you couldn't counter my points...lol. Spike Lee has directed more films with whites than Mel Gibson has directed films with minorities....so your criteria for calling Spike Lee a racist is pretty bogus.

Also, count the number of minority themed shows on ABC, CBS, and NBC and tell me that it doesn't cater to non minorities....they feature just as many all white cast shows as BET features all black cast shows. The only difference is BET is honest about it. BTW, I don't watch TV, I read...you might wanna try it.

HeatRock

I personally DO care. I think that the film looks like it will be wonderful and I look forward to seeing it.

What ever happened to judging a film and its success on the actual FILM ITSELF??? What actors do in their personal life has no more bearing on their capabilities in a film than mine does! Mel Gibson is a talented actor and a person who selects films which have strong roles and great entertainment value. I think that his addiction to alcohol is sad and I feel for him and his family. I also do not agree with anyone who might have racist tendencies. The fact of the matter is, these things have nothing to do with whether I watch and enjoy a film or not!

Kilmerfan

Mel is cool; just saw his movie and it was good. Too bad the TMZ article didn't say that Mel got a Standing Ovation on Leno. TMZ must have forgotten that, oh well.

I will keep praying for you Mel, demons are hard to overcome; Mel is like Robert Downey Jr who too can be a good guy when sober.

Oh yes I am part Jewish

See Deja Vu too

See Deja Vu too: )

coco puff

You have to love Mel, the Jewish media consistently try to hurt this guy. Remember Passion of the Christ? I think it made over 500 million and that was with all the Jew racist's protesting it. One thing is for sure, if anybody except a Jew is making that kind of money, he is a enemy. Hitler was right and it's to bad he wasn't able to finish the job!

South Florida

I CARE.........CONGRATS TO MEL

Just read on msn where critics gave his new film 5 stars.
Can't wait to see it this week-end.

sue

love him....this man produces some kick-ass movies!

sal lamantia

Joan Rivers said on air that she wished Gibson was dead.
Gibson was drunk.
What's her excuse?
Hope his new movie is a huge hit!

John

Why does TMZ put Mel name along with Paris and Britney? Why just to make a f***ing story more intresting..... I hope a celeb sues this sorry low life agency. MEL GIBSON IS ONE OF THE BEST FILM MAKERS AND ACTORS OF THIS TIME! kiss my ass, all of you crying and wining about Mel's DUI. SO WHAT!!!!

Lisa

I just saw Apocalypto, and I give it a 10/10. Mel is a freaking, movie, making genius!

ADMF

Mary Worth

Yes, I'm definitely going to see "Apocalypto". No one has made a good movie about the Indians south of the border. For that reason, my gratitude goes to Mel.

Many of the reviewers of the movie focused on the violence, and it smelled like they were doing their best to discourage us from seeing the movie.

I interact with all races and ethnics. I have heard much anti-Christian bias from Jews! But I also heard every ethnic group voice their prejudices against other ethnic and racial groups. What I'm trying to point out, is WE ALL LIVE IN GLASS HOUSES!
WE SHOULD ALL LOOK AT THE LOG IN OUR EYE, AND NOT THE CINDER IN OUR NEIGHBOR'S EYE!

Joanie

Why don't you Mel haters shut the F k up, you only look for bull, t to spew your jealiousey over his movie "Passion of CHRIST" the jews critisized him endlessly. and he never got a oscar nomination because of all the JEWS in hollywood.,, The jews are the bigots against the Christians. At least he made a stupid remark while drunk, and apologized numerous times, He made the movie to show what happened to our savior, and you deny it even happened, When you make movies, it's all about MONEY, MEL IS GREAT You don't like him? soooo f---ing what. Don't tell us to get over him. Greedy bastards

Waukisha

MEL: Keep up the great work. You know, he's not American, so I would assume he would have a brain in his head. You are still loved Mel!

Lisa

Mel was born in Peeskill New York and moved to Australia when he was 12.

ADMF