Mel Gets Assist From Clooney, DeVito

12/8/2006 1:27 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Britney has Paris and Lindsay, Mel has George and Danny.

Last night on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," Gibson claimed Hollywood's most famous drinking buddies are helping him stay off the booze, saying "If I ever feel like clutching for the turpentine, DeVito and Clooney just talk me through it."

Gibson's attempts at humor came while he was stuffing his face full of food. "The security guard told me that if I walked a straight line I could get a cookie," Gibson said.

Mel also revealed that he's been sober for about four and a half months, saying, "It's kind of a gradual thing. It doesn't happen overnight. And it takes a little time, that's all. The lights might come on." And then there was light.

Mel's latest film "Apocalypto," with dialog in various Mayan dialects, opens in theaters today, if you care.

Snootier than thou

i hope he drops dead. he's a worthless piece of crap. quickly!....its been 4 months!...let us all sweep under the rug his drunken rant, how he cheated on his wife and children. you people are all sheep and should be shot in the head. baaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh.....ignorant sheep. nothing would make me happier than to hear that mel gibson, paris hilton, lindsay lohan, britney spears and all these other crap filled demi-gods that you people love Love LOVE have all committed suicide.

i hope you all die! =)

merry xmas (*note the x, cuz there is no christ)

JimBob

Mel's movie opens number one on Friday!!!!

Marcia Marcos

Most of your reader comments sound very anti-semitic just like Mel Gibson and I wouldn't pay to see any of his movies anymore.

sarah jordan

i hope he keeps up the good work in his career and in his personal life
and iwill diffinetly watch anything mel does because he is truly amazing and ill watch his new movie twice one for me and ill do it the second time for you guys at TMZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haters

Yes, we DO care! Get over it TMZ (aka Levine). Do you care how Madonna offends the Catholic Church all the time? I'm sure you don't. Mel received a standing O on the Tonight Show. People just love him. He's cute, charming and a brilliant actor/director. So what if he made a mistake? You run a celebrity tabloid website so get over yourself!! His movie was great (I saw it last night) and he is going to be back on top again.

Boogie Woogie

It's real funny to read how many anti-Semites are on this board, I don%u2019t know if most of you are trolling but if you are not we should all be worried. First off Mel is a moron and its funny how fast the media and the Christian people are ready to jump at his feet " oh blah blah the security guard gave me a cookie" stfu Mel you f***ing anti Semite. All i know is that if a Jewish producer was to create a movie about how priests molest children (which would be a documentary) then most of you would jump on the boycott bandwagon too.

haters

All the Mel hatred stems from his hit move "Passion of the Christ". The Jews didn't come out smelling like a rose so they are pissed off. They were waiting for one false move so they could pounce on him. GET OVER IT. F@ck Joan Rivers. I wish that plastic, wrinkled big mouth skank were dead, too. I see why her man killed himself.

haters

Awesome movie. Almost as good as the brilliant Passion. Deserves an Oscar (esp since he was snubbed last time).

haters

I think Harvey is jealous of Mel. He's worth millions so I doubt he cares about what TMZ thinks of him. You can hold a grudge forever but that won't stop him from being a wealthy movie star while you report celebrity dirt (probally for free).

Joanie

JEALIOUS, JEALIOUS JEWS IN HERE. TO WISH A MAN DEAD BECAUSE HE MADE A MISTAKE IS APPALLING. YOU BASTARDS DESERVE TO DIE. ALSO YOU KEEP SAYING THINGS ABOUT THE PRIESTS WHO MOLEST CHILDREN, WHAT ABOUT YOUR RABBI'S KILLING THIER WIVES? oR THE VERY ORTHODOX JEWS WHO ARE PERVERTS WHO HIT ON WOMEN. THEY JUST ARE MORE SNEAKY. WHEN I WAS A CHILD I WAS MOLESTED BY ONE OF YOUR BEARDED HOLY MAN. SO SHUT THE HELL UP AND GET A LIFE YOU HATEFUL, HATEFUL PEOPLE. YES YOU BETRAYED CHRIST, AND THE TRUTH HURTS YOU. MEL SHOULD NOT HAVE APOLOGIZED BECAUSE HE DID NOTHING BUT MAKE A STATEMENT IN A DRUNK STUPOR. YOU PEOPLE ARE STONE SOBER WHO CRITISIZE CHRISTIANS

sal lamantia

If Mel had said The State of Israel causes all the wars in the world,
would the Jews consider that anti-semitic or just a political
statement? If American movie-goers make his new movie
a box-office hit, will the Jews like Joan Rivers wish they were
all dead as well? Hope his movie is a smash. Hope
no one watches next years Jewish Academy Awards.

Sues

Now this is a comment board with gutz! I just wrote to the fat guy in Newsweek - another jerk. Some of you people need to calm down - no strokes here please.

Mel Gibson was great on Leno Thursday night. The well deserved, standing ovation he got brought me to tears. He was being honored for his work not the indiscretion of waaaaaay back in the summer. When will some of you let it go.

There are reasons that some cultures are not so popular among the masses. Jewish people have been taking it on the chin for millenia by offending others and still haven't figured out why. As targets of such overwhelming hatred, don't you want to know why and then ammend the behavior? But I guess you have to own up to your character flaws first before you can do something about them.

All that aside, Mel Gibson is talented - oh and yes extremely good looking and aging well I might add - and he learns about his subjects before forging ahead into movie making unlike some cheap get it done, jealous directors who have less than one tenth of Mel's talent. It's his talent not his opinions that need to be adressed. If you sill people can't get past his drunken rant then you are obviously of inferior mental make-up. Therfore, maybe you SHOULD stay away from his movies. You wouldn't understand them anyway.

homegirl101

If the arresting officers that busted him ...had not shared his Anti Semitic tirade with the media...in the first place...we would have been igorant to the fact.....Racial slurs happen everyday.....everywhere........it should have been privy info when he was busted....the police made it a celeb big deal....not Mel....

He has freedom to hate whoever ..just like those that hate him....double edged sword......
I love the guy..........

homegirl101

All the haters here...isn't that the issue at hand....you hate him...he hates another...WTF...makes no sense......
He wasn't nominated by the Jewish people,in Hollywood... ...because they are ...what....quilty of what he made a movie about....it's no secret..regarding the crucifixtion...of Christ
.He blames them rightfully so...why didn't the biggest movie of the year get an honorable mention by the Jews in Hollywood...think about that...
He was dissed....he cast a stone.........an Anti Semitic stone.......

jProud American Author

Go Mel! We all make mistakes but Faith and perserverance can get us back on top! I wish you the best! Your movie is A+++! God bless you and please take care! You are a genius !

D'Maria Scaglione