Nicole Richie

Popped for DUI

12/11/2006 1:01 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Nicole RichieTMZ has learned that Nicole Richie was arrested for DUI early Monday morning. She was booked at 4:50 AM today and was released around 7:15 this morning. The booking sheet reveals Richie is 5'1" and 85 lbs.

We're told two motorists spotted her SUV going the wrong way on the 134 Freeway in Burbank. The drivers called 911.

When the CHP responded, Richie was stopped in the carpool lane and was alone in the vehicle. When cops approached the vehicle, Richie was on her cellphone.

Law enforcement officers tell TMZ Nicole Richie admitted she had taken Vicodin and smoked pot.

A preliminary alcohol screening device revealed that Nicole was not under the influence of alcohol.

One law enforcement source tell TMZ that while Richie was at the jail she was "very cooperative and very humble."

This is not the first brush Richie has had with substance abuse. In 2003, she pled guilty to heroin possession. The charges were dismissed after she completed the terms of her probation.

A rep for Richie had no comment.

TMZ has learned that Richie hired celebrity lawyer Howard Weitzman to rep her in this latest incident.

ALYCIA

SHE IS LYING AND SOMEONE IS COVERING UP FOR HER. THERE IS NO WAY THAT VICATIN AND MARY-JANE WILL MAKE SOMEONE DRIVE ON THE FREEWAY THE WAY SHE DID. THE POLICE KNOW DAMN WELL MARIJUANA AND VICATIN WAS NOT THE ONLY CAUSE OF HER IDIOT ACTIONS, BELIEVE ME THERE IS MORE TO THIS THAN IS BEING SAID. REALLY SOUNDS LIKE SHE POPPED TO MANY XSTACY PILLS OR WAS SNIFFING POWDER COCAINE! IT WAS NOT WEED&VICATIN NO WAY!!!!!!!!

ALYCIA

LIONEL RITCHIE NEEDS TO STEP UP BE A FATHER AND GET HIS DAUGHTER HELP TO SAVE HER LIFE. GO TO AN ISLAND WITH A REHAB CENTER AND AROUND THE CLOCK THERAPY, GET HER AWAY FROM HER TRASHY FRIENDS FOR A YEAR, SHE SHOULD LEAVE THE COUNTRY FOR A WHILE STAY OUT THE SPOTLIGHT AND GET HELP, AND OH YEAH CHURCH NEEDS TO BE INCLUDED IN THE THERAPY

Renee

Who r we to judge? Like we alll haven't done things in our own lives that haven't been exactly morally correct. Sure, she shouldn't have been driving her SUV under the influence, but like I said, who r we to judge. Leave the girl alone. She has to pay for her actions just like if it had been you or me under the wheel of that vehicle. people pass so much judgement on other people. They need to look in their on backyards or even their own closets before voicing their opinions. Seems to me that there are always so many people so ready to cast the first stone..... Those are usually the ones that live in glass houses and are trying to hide their own defects of character. LIGHTEN UP!!!!

Bar

She is 1/2 Caucasian, 1/4 Black, and 1/4 Mexican.

Biological father is Peter Michael Escovedo.

Was adopted by Lionel Richie and his then-wife Brenda Harvey-Richie.

Hadley

...cut the girl some slack!!! A lot of people have had drug problems,weight problems,& the list can go on & on!!! I do wish she would gain some Lbs though cos I had a friend pass away from not eating/drug abuse....& she does have great style kickin':)...so...back off people!!!!!!!!!~~BIG LOVE~~

Floyd Pinque

TO #535--So you are saying that because drunk soldier friends of yours get busted, it's okay with Nicole because....why???? The Golden Rule says 'don't kill'. How many of your military buddies brought up on DUI charges were on the wrong side of the freeway in Iraq?

To #540--WHO r WE to Judge? Just walk away Renee? We HAVE to judge behavior that could have killed ANYBODY just driving their car down the freeway, never in a gazillion years expecting some intoxicated person to slam into us. Don't give us that 'could have been you or me behind the wheel' sh*t. I won't speak for YOU, but I have always had the common f***ing sense to drive on the correct side of the road in the 35 years I have been driving. If some a**hole came at me from the wrong side like that I'd wanna tear them a 3rd corn-chute, as Alien Bob Dole said on The Simpsons.

robert rowe

her lawyer will just buy off the judge like the child molester did what a great country. we have the best judges and polititions money can buy, they should take and that other idiot paris hilton and shoot both of them along with their parents

Dee

FINALLY, a celebrity who takes a nice lookin' mug shot.

Brooklyn

First of all (Sandra #44 comment) I dont think you would need to smell anything on Nicole to know she was DUI of some substance. I mean she was driving on the wrong side of the freeway!!! And you all mention how she could have killed someone, when in reality she could have killed herself. Nicole needs help, true, however one must want to help themselves first. She needs to talk to GOD!

Elijah

Who cares if it was "Under The Infuence" of anything...it is still drving white intoxicated. If that be ETOH( Grain Alcohol), Opiates, or whatever it may be, it is still dangerous. She needs the same tretment as any common criminal and some cruel and unusual punishment...she needs to be placed in a 4 x 4 cell with "Hello" by Loinel Richie played over and over again. Whoeve she is, wahtever medical conditions she has or however much money she may have deosnt change the fact that she broke the law and needs to be punished.

Janet

Let's try this one more time. This is not a racial issue. I do believe that Nicole's father was black and Mom was white. L. Richie adopted her. Also, was the last person that had the crap beat out of him white? Dead issue. I am a Director in substance abuse and work with DUI's. I have had clients kill people while under the influence. Thank goodness she did not kill herself or some one else. Kudo's to the person who called 911. That person may have saved his own life. What kind of example is young Hollywood showing for youngers today? Let's see Linsey, Parris, Brit, etc. Doesnt anyone get it? She has an addition problem and it needs to be addressed. This is NOT a matter of black, white, red or pink. She has an illness. Come on DAD, step up to the plate and get her some help. She is on her way of killing herself. I understand she has been in re-hab before. Maybe she needs a different program. I could recommend a few. I am writing this is a hurry, so please do not correct my coments. Hope I can help someone today, and I hate to say it, but Nicole will be used for an example. No one is exempt from this. Alcohol and/or drugs does not care how old you are, what color you are, what sex you are and what your culture is. The one person that wrote and say let her go, everyone at one time or another has driven under the influence. WRONG! Good luck buddie. Let me know when you do it. I do not want to be on the same road with you!!!!

karen

Back on the Crack, the whack or the Pipe. She's doing DRUGS again.

doesntseemlike it

Another "starlet" (uh hum) who doesn't wear panties or have a real job caught under the influence of something driving a car that costs more than most people's houses. Yeah, I feel really sorry for her. Good thing none of these 'ladies' (choke) have killed someone yet.

Danielle

I feel bad that nicole has sunk this low and that she can't bring herself to getting help for her problem. If Paris is really her friend she would get some type of medical intervention for nicole. however, this is besides the point. Nicole was being reckless and could have really hurt someone. Maybe going to jail will prove to her and all her famous buddies that NOBODY is above the law. Maybe going to jail will force her to understand that she needs help and that she needs to start shoving her face (without throwing up).

LM

I bet she is on heroin AGAIN. She told the cops she took a vicodin because vicodin is an opiate -- AS IS HEROIN. This way she'd be covered if she was given a blood test. Heroin addiction would explain the weight loss.....don't ya think????? JMO