Nicole Richie

Popped for DUI

12/11/2006 1:01 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Nicole RichieTMZ has learned that Nicole Richie was arrested for DUI early Monday morning. She was booked at 4:50 AM today and was released around 7:15 this morning. The booking sheet reveals Richie is 5'1" and 85 lbs.

We're told two motorists spotted her SUV going the wrong way on the 134 Freeway in Burbank. The drivers called 911.

When the CHP responded, Richie was stopped in the carpool lane and was alone in the vehicle. When cops approached the vehicle, Richie was on her cellphone.

Law enforcement officers tell TMZ Nicole Richie admitted she had taken Vicodin and smoked pot.

A preliminary alcohol screening device revealed that Nicole was not under the influence of alcohol.

One law enforcement source tell TMZ that while Richie was at the jail she was "very cooperative and very humble."

This is not the first brush Richie has had with substance abuse. In 2003, she pled guilty to heroin possession. The charges were dismissed after she completed the terms of her probation.

A rep for Richie had no comment.

TMZ has learned that Richie hired celebrity lawyer Howard Weitzman to rep her in this latest incident.

Tommy Vincent

What a foul chick. Unreal that this bimbo puts the life of other people at risk. She seriously needs help... and a Big Mac.

Kimmie

Hello!!!

The article clearly states she had no alcohol in her system. She admitted to taking vicodin and smoking some pot.

Under the influence doesnt always mean drinking. It can also mean inder the influence of drugs or medications that hinder your driving.

I think its so sad she is only 85lbs. She was so gorgeous and healthy on the first Simple Life.

I hope she gets healthy again.

Brian

85 lbs. is about 30-40lbs too light for her. my god, my 6 yr old daughter weights 50 lbs and she is tiny

Susan

Her caption should read, "I'm so hungry!!" Susan

MJM

Nicole:

Don't gain a pound ... you look great! Every woman out there should aspire to look more like Nicole.

MM

More proof that money can't buy happiness, but it can buy drugs. A sad waste of a life.

ann barnhart

Did any of you morons read the article before you commented? It said no alcohol showed up on the premliminary screening! If you are going to slam someone, and not that she doesn't deserve it, get your info. correct.

Toria

#11 DUI stands for Driving Under the Influence. So if she was high on drugs, she was under the influence. It doesn't matter what the substance was whether it was alchohol or drugs. She was still under the influence.

Robert

#11 Twinkie is it? A DUI means driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. She admitted to taking vicodin and smoking pot.

kathryn

#11: DUI-Driving under the Influence.....does not have to be alcohol. I think it's sad. She obviously has an eating disorder, and now she's back on drugs? I'll pray for her.

billyboyhere

Oh what a feeling...when you're dancing on the ceiling....

She needs her daddy

Jerseygirl1970

Gees!! Grow up, get some help, and act civilized!! Stop denying your problems especially to yourself.

Sillyme

She wasn't drunk.. she was on drugs! Either way.. California needs to crack down on driving while intoxicated by time in jail, no matter who you are. That will stop this from happening.

Anne

Who cares? Does knowing information like this improve anyone's quality of life? It's her life.

Azuree

My God. I've never liked Nicole Richie personally, (and right now it's to the point where the very mention of her name makes me want to puke) but I used to feel sorry for her. I saw her on "The E! True Hollywood Story" about three years ago, the one about "Rock Star Daughters", and I actually felt kind of sorry for her and even believed her when she said she'd learned her lesson after the heroin bust. But after this latest caper of hers, (I know this is going to sound really heartless) she can either waste away to nothing or zonk out on drugs and I don't care which way she goes. I'm through with having any sympathy for this train wreck that cares nothing about anyone or anything but herself.