Knievel Sues 'Kanyevel' Over Jumpsuit

12/12/2006 4:25 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

World-famous daredevil Evel Knievel, 68, has sued rapper Kanye West -- over a cheesy jumpsuit and a rocket-propelled Skycycle.
Evel Kneivel, Kanye West
In a lawsuit filed Monday in Federal Court in Florida, the daredevil claims that Kanye infringed on his trademark name and likeness in West's video for "Touch the Sky." In the video, West portrays a character named "Evel Kanyevel" who attempts to jump a large canyon, not unlike Knievel's famous 1974 jump of Snake River Canyon in Idaho, which was not successful.

Knievel argues that the white jumpsuit he wore for the stunt and the "Skycycle" that he used are trademarked. Knievel also claims in the suit that "vulgar and offensive" images depicted in the video damage his reputation.

The lawsuit asks for damages and seeks to halt distribution of the video. West's reps couldn't be immediately reached for comment. No word on whether Knievel knows how many of Kanye West's fans were actually alive in 1974.

AMT

Who is playing the race card? It was a white person who started with the racial verbage. But I guess that's ok wiith you. And as for going "back" to my country...THIS IS MY COUNTRY. I was born in the USA. So just deal with it and stop bitching.

Who care if Evel sues Kanye. It's about money not race. Singers get sued all of time for sampling without permission. This is no different.

Curiosity Killed the KAT ;-)

Why doesn't TMZ just start a post about racism in America and what do we as it's citizens see as the answer to this issue. That's better than trying to get some hits on their site by starting some stupid shiznit that has nothing to do with race...

Just wondering

What is with TMZ? I think someone should sue them for inciting verbal riots between blacks and whites.

Can't you guys see this? It's disgusting. I thought we had moved on. The older I get, the more I realize that I don't know anything. Such a shame.

Every day there is some kind of rant, now today, from people who are just people. If the story is even the truth. Good grief. Where does it stop?

Thank God my father caught me, from a very early age, to judge a man by his dreams...that means you have to "talk" to someone, get to know them.

Thank you Poppy, for expanding my brain.

Curiosity Killed the KAT ;-)

The same reason you DON'T ... Droppin In...

Simone

As an Aussie, I can't believe how racist some of you dickheads are. And our country was portrayed as 'racist' when we had a minor riot here last year. You people are a perfect example of why people SHOULD NOT go to the US.

Kanye is a victim....of himself. Every time I have heard something from him in the media, it has been a remark claiming that he is a victim of racial genocide and that white people hate him. He's a freakin hypocondriate. Get a life mate, you're a god damn loser - and you're not welcome in Australia either!

KELLY

FIRST OF ALL I'M NOT THE ONE WHO SAID IT WASN'T YOUR COUNTRY FOOL, MAYBE IF YOU'D READ!!! PROUD TO BE HISPANIC SAID BLACKS ARE ORIGINAL BECAUSE THEY HAVE THEIR OWN COUNTRY, SO I SAID THEN GO BACK THERE! JUST TIRED OF ALL THE "IT'S BECAUSE I BLACK" BS IN THE WORLD TODAY. IF WE ARE ALL AMERICANS THAN LETS ALL BE AMERICANS. THAT MEANS WHEN THINGS DONT GO YOUR WAY IN LIFE YOU DONT GET TO SAY ITS BECAUSE I'M BLACK! IT'S BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T TRY HARD ENOUGH!

amy

I think that they started saying the racist comments because the first comments were racist. It looked like TMZ tood them off. I read it at first and people were leaving mean comments about black people. Calling them the "N" word. I don't use that word. It is a hurtful word.

REED

To all you racist fools. Do you think that by saying the n word you are hurting people of color? True the word has deep meaning and a lot of history behind it. And no matter what you say you have a right to how you feel. No matter how sick and demented it sounds. And it shows how weak you are. Suck it up punk! Who cares about knievel he is a old man whose time is about up? And all mr.west is a prancing diva black or white. Just admit it you're a bunch of haters. Bitch ass babies.

AMT

FIRST OF ALL... I was responding to multiple people on this board...not just YOU, FOOL!!!!

And as I remember it, as Americans, we can say whatever we want. People in this country are allowed to throw insults back and forth and have it called protected speach. We don't like it and there is nothing you can do about.

So who cares what you are tired of what another group says. If they are not talking about you or to you then don't worry about it. It's called being part of a multi-cultural society, catch up.

Rebekka

You know, I am so sick of hering how whites steal this and that. At
least they admit it, instead of falsely claiming they created
something like blacks and hispanos. You people are a joke with all
your claims to having so much fire and passion, or soul...Neither of
you have any of that, just the ability to lie.

It was the Roma(Gypsies) who created the blues, not blacks. Research has shown this style was around since before America had slaves, so much for
blacks creating it...And the hispanics have no fire and passion, you
just steal it from the Roma who created the Flamenco, Tango, Mamba,
Samba, and Mariachi(sp?) music, along with a handful of lesser known
"cultural spanish" music styles, and American country music.

Just like I hear blacks say Elivs stole rock from them. Ha, what a joke.
No he just took the title back for his people. Noone can do rock better than it's
creaters. Elvis' dad was Romnichel(a Romani tribe), that's why he is
still the king. Without the blues, there would never have Rock, or
R&B for that matter...

So for all you ignorant hacks claiming white people stole something, just remember, we aren't the only theives, but at least white people have the integrity to admit it.

As for Kanye, he hates white people, he even hates light skinned
blacks...He's nothing but a pathetic, unoriginal, bigot.

Curiosity Killed the KAT ;-)

I do not like Kanye west because he is arrogant, feels he is entitled, and throws a tantrum when things do not go his way. That being said, this post was about a lawsuit, of course the racist posters were happy that the lawsuit was between a white and a black person so that they could spew their racist diatribe.

Lets reverse what the racist posters have been saying about the black and mexican people... Why do YOU always complain about whatever is going on in our communities. Why do you forever say go back to where you came from to us, when in all actuality if you are not of NATIVE AMERICAN decent you came here to this country whether it was by choice or force and this is not your ancestral homeland if you want to be correct. At least Mexican people were here in Texas, and California before America was occupied by the slaughtering of the Native American people, and the tricks they played on the Mexican government to buy certain states.

This country was built by slave labor, and no I don't just mean by black slaves... Everybody at one time was looked down on by European whites.. Italians, the Irish, were also treated like crap, and paid less wages and were considered lower class citizens, though they were not slaves.

It's not easy to "MOVE ON" like some people say we should when "OLD HABITS" (Racist views)seem to die hard....

Slavery and the Holocaust should never be forgotten, so this may never be repeated....

KELLY

ALL A BUNCH OF BS RAMBLING GOING ON HERE. NONE OF THIS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE ORIGINAL POSTING.

Curiosity Killed the KAT ;-)

Rebekka... Ummmm NOT!I hope you didn't think the slaves
who are the
orginator of the BLUES sound and ROCK and Roll conceived the idea once
they were on American soil... Black people (slaves) would remember the
tribal drums and sounds from Africa and recreate this while they were
enslaved... The slavemaster loved what they were hearing and would force them
to perform for their masters who of course would steal this type of
music and try and make it their own, NEVER to sound as good as the
black slave...I bet you're prancing around in your robes while you're
typing this crap...

KELLY

No don't ever forget. But don't dwell on it every chance you get. To me sounds like MOVE ON means move forward.

Rebekka

L.A.Dime, all nationalities have been slaves at one point in history, even European whites. Even wealthy blacks had slaves in America. Slavery was not about race at first, it was simply that the Brits found out that people in Africa could easily be taken over because they lived in small tribes instead of having a huge organised army. It was when the Indian's brilliantly started saying hey wait a minute we aren't them, they are black, we are red, to keep from being made slaves(brilliant cos it worked), that it become about skin colour. And even the Indian's are migrants, from middle Japan.