Peter Boyle Dead at 71

12/13/2006 1:59 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Peter BoyleActor Peter Boyle, most recently seen as the father on "Everybody Loves Raymond," died at New York Presbyterian Hospital, his publicist said today. He had been suffering from multiple myeloma and heart disease.

Boyle was nominated for seven Emmys for his work as Frank Barone on the hit CBS show, but never won. He won an Emmy in 1996 for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series for an appearance on "The X Files." He most recently appeared in the Christmas comedy "The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause" playing Father Time.

According to IMDB, John Lennon was the best man at his wedding back in 1977. He is survived by his wife Loraine and two daughters, Lucy and Amy.

MaryMac

My husband and I will miss Frank. My kids will miss Father Time.

Our prayers are with his family.

Blonde2theBone

A few months ago, on a trip to Los Angeles, my limo driver told me that he had just picked up Doris Roberts from the airport and driven her home. Doris Roberts is the actress that played Peter Boyles, television wife.

The Limo driver told me that she had just visited Peter at a hospital in New York and that he was very sick. He told me that Doris was absolutely charming and a very wonderful woman who treated him very well.

Regardless, it's refreshing to know that Hollywood still has some wonderful people there and today, we have lost one of them.

God Bless the Soul of Peter Boyle, my favorite Frankenstein.

doris roberts

Dan

Just like your character Dundee in " Johnny Dangerously " said ;
" Its time to retire "
You will be missed.

Peggy

He was awesome I love him he reminded me of my father when he was on Raymond...he will be missed....

Lenn K

Class act. Funny as hell! God with your family and you. Rest in Peace!

Deb

I was so shocked to hear Peter had passed away. He was at his best as Frank Barone. He was an absolute hoot! I loved him in Honeymoon in Vegas, too, although it was a small role!. RIP, Mr. Boyle. You will be missed.

Jo Blo

Who?

Tim W.

Peter was one of the best, of the best! HOLY CRAP, I CAN'T BELIEVE HE'S GONE! Godspeed...

Tim W.

Peter was the best of THE BEST!
HOLY CRAP, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE GONE.

Godspeed Peter.....

Waukisha

How rude is using the word DEAD, TMZ?

Mr. Boyle your wonderful comedy will be missed. I pray you went home to be with the Lord.

Tim W.

Peter was the best, OF THE BEST.
HOLY CRAP, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE GONE!

Godspeed...

Vicki

Like so many other's have said, he will be greatly missed. He was one of the last great comic actors you will always remember. Frank Barone was my absolutely favorite. Prayers and blessings to his wife and daughters.

PT

What a great actor.! You will be missed.

C. Alexander Brown

Peter, a good man, died of Multiple Myeloma, a cancer which is classified as "incurable," just as some lukemias were classified as fatal several years ago. Serious research ended that dire situation. The American medical community needs to get serious about Multiple Myeloma. There is no reason why this cancer should be an automatice death sentence in this day and age in the richest and most scientifically capable country in the world. Not enough resources are going into research, Treating M. Myeloma earns billions for the drug industry, and some of the medications being offered comes very close to being snake-oil. Goodbye Peter, "May flights of angels sing thee to thy rest."

Concerned person

OMG I love Peter on Everybody loves Raymond. My prayers goes out to him and his family.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments