Peter Boyle Dead at 71

12/13/2006 1:59 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Peter BoyleActor Peter Boyle, most recently seen as the father on "Everybody Loves Raymond," died at New York Presbyterian Hospital, his publicist said today. He had been suffering from multiple myeloma and heart disease.

Boyle was nominated for seven Emmys for his work as Frank Barone on the hit CBS show, but never won. He won an Emmy in 1996 for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series for an appearance on "The X Files." He most recently appeared in the Christmas comedy "The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause" playing Father Time.

According to IMDB, John Lennon was the best man at his wedding back in 1977. He is survived by his wife Loraine and two daughters, Lucy and Amy.

Lauraine Combs

NO WAY!!! PETER BOYLE GONE? WHAT A LOSS !GODSPEED SIR. WE WILL MISS YOU.
LIZ/LAS VEGAS

We, are not amused.

Last night I was watching a documentary on "Showtime" about Hunter S.Thompson and part of it included Peter Boyle, who played his lawyer opposite Bill Murray in "Where the buffalo roam"
I thought it odd that they didn't include any on screen interview with him.
So I read about Peter Boyle passing away on a REGULAR NEWS site, and came over to good ol' TMZ, where the story of his passing is listed after stories about Paris Hilton, OJ, Tara Reid and "Someone in Hollywood will die". He had great range as an actor and was not fodder for the torrid tabloid world.
I can recall seeing the movie "Joe" and really thinking that he WAS that character.
Another journeyman puts away his tools for the last time.

Amber

Omg. I can't believe he's dead. I'm truly going to miss him. He was so funny in Everybody Loves Raymond. May God Bless his soul. My heart goes out to his family!

glynne1964

My deepest sympathies go out to his family & friends. I never met this funny man, but I loved his work. Thanks for all the laughs!!! You'll always be my favorite Frankenstein! R.I.P.

beth c

First time I've ever come to this site and not seen awful remarks regardless of the situation or circumstances. This is a wonderful tribute to the glorious Peter Boyle and how respected he was by all. Rest in Peace

patricia

peter was always a decent guy. I remember when I attended a taping of the hit comedy, Everybody Loves Raymond. He treated his castmates like family.
I remember from one article he mentioned patricia always made it easy to come to work. He had kind words for everybody.
he cracked me up with his famous catch phrase, Holy Crap....
Peter, God Bless and you will be missed.

ManBearPig Huntress

I'm heartbroken at the passing of Peter Boyle. He was a true class act and one of the BEST comedic actors of the last 40 years. He will be sorely missed. God Bless his family and friends. Godspeed, Peter.

I'm disgusted that TMZ has put this story so far down the page below STELLAR stories such as Tara Reid falling down. Come on TMZ - old Hollyywood grandeur is fading faster and faster every day - the least we can do is show the last few remaining TRUE "stars" some dignity and respect one last time. Please? "Greasy Bear Brandon" will still be here tomorrow...

Whatever

:( :( :( He was a very funny actor! Sad! :(

Mary Johnson

what a great guy!!!! i love frank barone but my favorite character is the monster on young frankenstein. he was awesome. i know his family is heartbroken.

jane doe

I love this guy, he's one of my favorites. We'll miss you dude!

Dimples

I was very saddened to hear about the passing of Peter Boyle. I remember so many years ago when he played in the movie Joe. He was terrific. I also loved him on Everybody Loves Raymond. He will be missed. My condolences to his family.

Casey

Peter Boyle was a great actor and one of my favorite TV characters. He will be missed and remembered by all. My sympathies to his family and friends.

TEXAS

TMZ, HELLO, I THOUGHT LARA FLYNN BOYLE WAS HIS DAUGHTER! HOW IS SHE TAKING IT????????

...

LOVED this guy since Young Frankenstein. Godspeed.

Aspen

What a great actor. I've loved him in many things, most notably as Frankenstein with Gene Wilder in Young Frankenstein and of course, "Everybody Loves Raymond". What a loveable character, in his own annoying way.

Holy Crap! Jeezaloo! You will be missed Peter.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments