Richie Has Prior DUI

Mandatory Jail on the Line

12/13/2006 7:50 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Nicole Richie Nicole Richie could be adding stripes to her wardrobe in the very near future.

TMZ has found court documents which reveal that Richie pled no contest four years ago to driving under the influence. Under California law, if Richie is convicted of DUI as a result of Monday's arrest, the judge must impose a jail sentence.

The law requires a mandatory sentence of five consecutive days in county jail as well as a one year license suspension for anyone twice-convicted of DUI. In addition, Richie would be ordered to attend an alcohol education program for a year-and-a-half, even if the second conviction is not alcohol-related.

As TMZ first reported, Richie admitted to CHP officers that she had taken Vicodin and smoked pot before driving the wrong way on a Burbank freeway. A field sobriety test revealed she was not under the influence of alcohol.

Cop: "What have you eaten today?"
Nicole: "French Fries"

TMZ has obtained the police documents in the 2002 case. In the arrest report it reveals that Richie told cops all she had eaten that day were french fries. As for what she drank that day -- "1 shot vodka."

She blew a .12. and a .13 in two separate tests. In California, .08 is considered legally intoxicated. Richie was stopped in her Toyota Corolla after a UCLA police officer observed her blowing a red light and driving over a speed bump at more than 50 miles an hour in an area with a 15 mph speed limit. Richie flunked the field sobriety test -- her eyes were watery and bloodshot, and she could not keep her balance.

Richie was given three years probation for her 2002 DUI conviction and had her license suspended for one year. Six months later, Richie was arrested for possession of heroin and for driving with a suspended license.

Amanda

"It's not like she killed anybody." Shut up, tard.
She was driving THE WRONG WAY on a highway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once again I say, WAKE UP PEOPLE. DUH!
I do not appreciate people that messed up being allowed to endanger the lives of those I love because they have money. My loved ones are MUCH more important than these nasty 'celebs' could ever even hope to be.
Get her a#! off the roads and stick her a@# in jail. Stupid piece of crap. How dare she think she has the right to endanger other people, people who are much smarter and more beautiful in so many ways than she could ever be.

bibi

everybody just needs to leave her alone..
so she made some wrong choices
get over it
everyone does

Amanda

Yes it does matter if you are rich, idiot. How can you get a great attorney without plenty of money or connections?

Maureen

You people are mixing up her offenses. The Toyota and shot of vodka was from 2002. This time she was in a Mercedes and there was no alcohol involved. It was Vicodin and pot. You aren't reading the article correctly, although, admittedly it is written somewhat confusing.

cassi

well she will get off it i hope she does jail time it be good for herany normal person would do jail time

FRANK CONTI

I'LL BE PRAYING FOR YA.---STOP HURTING YOUR DAD, HE'S A GOOD MAN .

JCC

First off according to the article....nicole was driving a Toyota back in 2002 when she was arrested. And it was back in 2002 that she had the fries and the shot of Vodka. Read carefully before you post!! She does deserve jail time, more then what is being hinted at. Any other person would get more than that. But...most people who have alot of money figure they can buy themselves out of anything,.

Jon

Maybe if some of you idiots could read, you'd see that the reference to the Toyota Corolla, and blowing a .12 from one shot of vodka, are from her arrest in 2002, not the recent arrest. So yes, Michelle (at comment #2), I'm sure she has a 2005 Gwagen now, but I'm sure she didn't have that in 2002. I could care less what happens to her, I've met her before, and she's not that bad, but I think celebrities deserve equal punishment. I had to send in a comment because I was amazed by the stupidity of some of the readers of this article. Your lack of reading comprehension makes me wonder what you were doing in elementary school.

TeeeeeeeTeeeeeee

Btich won't be in jail long. She's so damn skinny she'll slip right through the bars!!!!! LMAO!!!

MARY

SHE NEEDS HELP AND A LOT OF PRAYERS,PEOPLE SHOULD BE PRAYING FOR HER INSTEAD OF SLAMMING HER, ONE SIN ISNT ANY GREATER THAN THE OTHER,WE HAVE ALL SINNED AND CAME SHORT OF HIS GLORY.

Sheree

Well 284 (WHO CARES), what sort of person are you, (I think your comments show that you are one cold hearted, spineless piece of work - how do you sleep at night? People like you need psychiatric help, that is psychotic that you would even say something like that about another person, how would you like it if we all wished that on you... think about it... They are someone's family and friends too..

my opinion

I am so sad after reading all of the comments. It is like we are discussing a person who is waiting to die. Looking back I remember Bellushi, Cobain and the others who literally flamed out from excesses. I thought it would be Ms Lohan or Ms Reid who would die before reaching adulthood. There is something so sweet and endearing about Nicole that makes me hope she can accept ACCOUNTABILITY and move forward.

my opinion

She is human, makes mistakes, is allowed to drink and party but she does not have the right to ENDANGER OTHER CALIFORNIAN'S LIVES! We all have had too much to drink, gotten stoned or really tired but INTELLIGENT PEOPLE DO NOT DRIVE!!! THEY CALL A CAB!!!! That is what responsible ADULTS do. It is like that select group can't decide if they are teenagers with no responsibility or adults. Nicole, Paris, Britney and the idiot sisters Simpson are Grown Women-- why can't they act like mature individuals.

CrazY DiamonD

JULIE you are a retard. I'd like to see what you'd say when some crackhead junky alcholic skeleton kills someone in your family cuz they decide to get in a car

Coward k Stern hater

bush girls arrested for all of u who dont watch the news and making idiots out of yourselfs.