Richie Has Prior DUI

Mandatory Jail on the Line

12/13/2006 7:50 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Nicole Richie Nicole Richie could be adding stripes to her wardrobe in the very near future.

TMZ has found court documents which reveal that Richie pled no contest four years ago to driving under the influence. Under California law, if Richie is convicted of DUI as a result of Monday's arrest, the judge must impose a jail sentence.

The law requires a mandatory sentence of five consecutive days in county jail as well as a one year license suspension for anyone twice-convicted of DUI. In addition, Richie would be ordered to attend an alcohol education program for a year-and-a-half, even if the second conviction is not alcohol-related.

As TMZ first reported, Richie admitted to CHP officers that she had taken Vicodin and smoked pot before driving the wrong way on a Burbank freeway. A field sobriety test revealed she was not under the influence of alcohol.

Cop: "What have you eaten today?"
Nicole: "French Fries"

TMZ has obtained the police documents in the 2002 case. In the arrest report it reveals that Richie told cops all she had eaten that day were french fries. As for what she drank that day -- "1 shot vodka."

She blew a .12. and a .13 in two separate tests. In California, .08 is considered legally intoxicated. Richie was stopped in her Toyota Corolla after a UCLA police officer observed her blowing a red light and driving over a speed bump at more than 50 miles an hour in an area with a 15 mph speed limit. Richie flunked the field sobriety test -- her eyes were watery and bloodshot, and she could not keep her balance.

Richie was given three years probation for her 2002 DUI conviction and had her license suspended for one year. Six months later, Richie was arrested for possession of heroin and for driving with a suspended license.

my opinion

What is wrong with California!!!! When I lived there we worried about CHIPs and getting caught doing anything wrong. I believe it is time for the legislature to step in and say if you are underage you DON'T drink in bars. Hear that Ms Lohan. Don't they penalize bars for serving those that are underage. Am I the only person who knows that she is under 21)

If people go to jail for life for 3 strikes then those with Ms Ritchie's driving record do at least one year for 2 strikes of DUI .The combo of underweight, under 21, vicodin, pot and booze should send one to a mental institution for an additional 6 months. The sad thing is that her circle of Spears, Hilton, Davis et al won't hurt one of their own but kill someone else.

Hey Governor!!! Being one of Hollywood's finest can't you get the cops to treat those useless twits to the same laws the rest of the USA follows in their home towns. If I come to to live in California again can I drive drunk on your highways? I think it is time for a good old LANDMARK CASE and I hear the hallowed halls of the LA courhouse singing a siren's song!!

Elizabeth C

My two cents

LOL on poster #62. I know the Owl well and all I could think was that this particular post was not something Owl would say. It became a TOTAL bust when you didn't use the full name, "THE wise old owl". Dumb ass!!

Have to love how some people can READ.

the wise old owl

POst # 56 : Laughing at all of You: How are you doing ? Thanks for surfacing. Why is it all these WACKO'S come stalking me ?? LMAO over your comment about their " 15 minutes of fame " You know I appreciate your support and comments.. Guess what ?......... Now someone is posting under my name .

Post # 58 is not me. That is either Lucy, wiser , or one of the other alias 's the weirdo is using to " pose " as me. I'm flattered but concerned. 1st of all .Have you ever heard me reply with just ONE sentance ..That right there is a dead give away.

What " wiser " doesnt know is that TMZ can tell when numourous names sign on under the same computer address. Answering themselves. Agreeing with themselves...... Changing their signiture name.

HMMMM........makes ya kind of think before you do something. I wouldn't be surprised if TMZ DENIED ACCESS to this prankster who thinks he has " pulled a fast one " Guess what A**hole. There is such a thing as " computer Forensics " that can trace anything. Seee Yaaaaaaaaaa

the wise old owl

CORRECTIONS : The post that is not mine is actually Post # 60.

When TMZ removes blogs the numbers change. YOu have to rely on the " NAME " to guide you to the correct blog. Post # 62 is not me. I don't reply with one word sentances. This is all this impersonator knows. LMAO. How obvious !!!!

How pathetic can one get? PLEASE GO TO BED .......WHO EVER YOU ARE. I guess I will have to change my name to " REPORT THIS AS8 HOLE TO TMZ RIGHT AWAY "........... Just too much.

My two cents

Elizabeth- Great post, but isn't Nicole over 21? I agree with you in so many aspects. I really think that all the states should mandate much harsher punishment on the DUI driver. I fully admit that I have had one myself and was quite surprised on just how many DUI convicts are out there. I myself blew a .11 last year (2 glasses of Champagne at dinner at a restaurant). 3 months of drug/alcohol classes, MADD meetings, AA classes, $1500.00 fine, 3 years informal probation and 6 months suspended license. At my arrest, I was in such shock that this was happening to me and cried over it for a very long time. It upsets me a lot when I even think about it. I know very well that this is something I will NEVER do again, but since my arrest, I learned of a lot of people who had thier one or two as well, and I have watched one associate get his THIRD this past week( the second one was just two months ago). I even went and picked his ass up out of jail and told him that he needs some severe help and one of these days he is going to kill himself or someone else. He is facing jail now and it is the best place for him to go as far as I am concerned. I regret what I did. I am lucky I did not hurt anyone, however, some people just do not get it. They never will. That is the saddest thing. It is why I believe that if the state made the punishment so severe, it would make people THINK before they got in that car. Too many innocent people die. It has to be addressed somewhere. I read Carole's post a couple of hours ago and that is just heartbreaking. If that drunk driver knew there were harsher penalties before getting into her car, perhaps Carole's friend MIGHT be alive today.

Wicked

I am sure TMZ could care less wise old owl. You are making yourself look stupid trying to defend youself.

Get a life.

the wise old owl

Post # 68 James : If you care enough to respond to me. Then I guess TMZ must be interested as to WHY you are responding to " ME" instead of the editorial they placed on the website. It only show that you find my contributions much more stimulating than what TMZ had to say. Am I the one that attacts you to visit ......or is it TMZ.????

Please make up your mind. However ...... Your comments tells it all. This wouldn't be the 1st time bloggers have commended me for my blogs and even said " they visit here just to here my imput. " I speak from the " heart "

. You speak with a fork tongue. You flatter me However, I would never " single you out " ... Because your comments bring nothing to the plate. CHOW...............

Simone

#8 - What the hell do you mean that the marajuana won't show up on the test? Marajuana stays in your body for 4 weeks! I know this for a fact! ;-)

Flojo

NiNicole is another rich skank...she deserves to go to jail..may be there she will not try to starve herself..this girl has so many problems..what kind of father was Lionel Richie? he seems to not realize the severity of her many addictions..none of the help she has had...worked..what next? send her to a BOOT CAMP in the wilderness and let her know that the world does not revolve around her...she is only good as what her money will buy.. I hope they drop her from that reality series on fox. and drop the SUPER SKANK..PARIS.
this is what our young teens look up to...how sad a state this country has come to.

Oscar in Miami Beach

The TMZ better be careful of what it says. Lionel Richie may go after the TMZ accusing it of persecuting his family because they are black. Seems everybody these days is playing the race card.

Ricrdo Lee W.

What's amazing to me (besides the absurd amount of losers out there who are so miserable they're willing to waste their precious time posting trash here; that they should know Mrs. Richie of SIMPLE LIFE fame isn't ever going to bother to read) is how pretty she still looks: intoxicated, embarrassed, arrested, groggy, at 5:00 in the morning, in a bad police mug shot. Even with all the weight she's lost her eyes still sparkle in such a pretty way that you can tell, she's a star.
Her beautiful complexion, her little mouth and even the little smile she managed... She's gorgeous... she's a star!! Even after all the weight loss.

As a young black man that just came home from being stationed overseas the last 3 and a half years in Baumholder Germany (ETS ed 11M A 1/6 Assassin Hooah!) its crazy to hear how much she parties. She looks so fresh faced and innocent its really hard to believe. Even in her mug shot she looks more like an angel than the amazons in the Victoria's Secret ads. Anyway's this chicks living her life and making her money. So why waste energy shaking your fist in the wind?
I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area but Im spending Christmas to New Years in Vegas at the Bellagio where my Pops got us a balcony facing the Strip and the fireworks on New Years eve. What Im getting to is year in and year out people party till they have to lock all the balcony doors on New Years to keep intoxicated people from falling or jumping off! As a kid I spent New Years in Vegas/Reno, New York, New Orleans, Union Square (SF). Ive partied when the Niner's won they're Super Bowl victories. I've been places where the whole cities are out drinking and celebrating. In Idar Oberstein Germany I saw a guy crash his brand new BMW drunk during the Linden Festival. In Ibiza you should see how crazy the British girls get or how we acted during R&R in Bulgaria. All around the world people party, this isnt some new occurrence or something Nicole Richie has just started or invented. Human beings can make mistakes sober. Nicole Richie is not your leader she's no politician or televangelist so why sweat every little move she makes. She's just a girl who grew up in Hollywood, she not a teacher or congressmen or even anytype of civil servant... What type of moron or horrible parent would go around making what Nicole Richie does out to be all important when you have the president who ""didn't inhale"" having affairs with interns, a President in office we've elected twice who had at the very least a DUI (and he's the head of the military chain of command and ""leader of the free world"".)
Getting behind the wheel of a car intoxicated is crazy but more soldiers (that I was personally friends with) got chaptered or Article 15's for drunk driving than anything else. Nicole's definitely not the first person guilty of driving under the influence. You have teachers sleeping with the kids and politicians propositioning pages... and your wasting time here? Trying to think of something nasty to say about a girl who parties???

Youd probably be more well served teaching Your kids the Golden Rule, forgiveness/compassion temperance i.e.; or if your really that worried how to "just say no" & defensive driving...

Kikoke

Oh my gosh....Laughing and Owl...good to see you here. Ignore the ones that lack the intelligence of even a good come back. I think I rec'd that advise not to long ago on another site!!!! LOL
Nicole needs consequences, jail, rehab whatever, before someone dies. I don't believe any of the above will help if she doesn't want it and cannot or will not face her demons.
The Papparazi (sp?) sit in front of these clubs that UNDERAGE kids go to and drink and drug. And before anyone says it I know Nicole is not under 21. My point is the media takes all these pix on Brit and Paris and Nicole etc who are of age, but are staggering out of these clubs and where are the POLICE. Do they not see it in the papers or on the news the next day, and see what a problem it is. And Linsey is a whole other issue, I seen on TV she attends AA, and her statement was she had been attending for over a year and hasn't drank in 7 days....then adds why would I, I am underage (I'm adlibbing here) but makes no sense. Hasn't drank in 7 days but makes sure she adds the part about not being of legal age to cover up these same places that are serving her....well at least 7 days ago. In addition to Nicole and the rest of the brat pack that are up to all hours drinking and drugging and then ONE of them, whichever is driving, getting behind the wheel.
Bottom line, you can go to rehab, you can go to AA/NA, you can go to jail....and if you are not ready to stop EVEN with some consequences....then in no time there will be that person with a line a drink a pill or a fix....as if nothing happened....until something (like death of them or someone else) occurs. Very sad, and not helping anyone, as well as putting inocent people at risk.

orb

my mother was killed by the same thing nicole did,,,,i so miss my mom,,,,,

the wise old owl

POst # 74 KIKOKE: Your name signed to a blog means.. I can trust the source. : " The expert has Arrived " . I respect you and anything you have to offer.

. I just love when my " peeps " surface adding guidence and insight to others who " have no other way "...

I have learned much through your life experiences and experitse in the field of drug addiction and the aspects of DENIAL.
I've got your back........just like you have mine. BLOG AWAY !!

sean

i dunno what's more embarrassing... two DUI's, slam dunkin a speed bump, weighing in at 85 lbs. or having once driven a toyota corolla! oh yeah, there was also that god-awful song "dandelion" that was on youtube she sang back a few months ago supposedly to signal the arrival of her soon-to-be-released cd... just throw it in the cut-out bin with paris', jessica's and beyonce's.