Academy says "Listen" : Beyonce Can't Win Oscar

1/12/2007 8:23 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The Academy of Motion Pictures confirmed that the song "Listen," which has been heralded as the unofficial theme of the critically acclaimed "Dreamgirls," will be submitted to Academy members for Oscar consideration without Beyonce's name attached as a writer.

beyonce knowlesOriginal Broadway scorer Henry Krieger, as well as songwriters Anne Preven, Scott Cutler and Beyonce are credited on the soundtrack as the writers of the song and were submitted as such to the Academy.

As it states in the Academy's guidelines, it is customary for up to two people to be credited as writers of any given song, but under special circumstances, if it is found that the there were more than two equal contributors, an exception could be made. The Academy made the exception for Preven and Cutler, but not for our girl B.

No word as to why Beyonce didn't make the cut.

Nominations will be announced on the January 23.

Phaedra D.Nash

All of you jealous ass people can go to hell.

racheal johnson

BEYOUCE GET GONE - I'M TRIED OF YOU. http://www.racheal.johnson@morganstanley.com

Dallas

the song "listen" just plain sucked! just like her latest cd

Mad Balls

Just waiting on JZ to kick this dumb Diva to the curb .Or at least tell her to wait out in the car -- forever ! Dickhead . She is a worse Diva demander than Diana Ross ever was . Oh yeah she will win an award --- from the Cardboard Clowns on Crack film group . Dickhead .

John C jackson

Perhaps because she doesnt "write" anything? All her songs are ripoff remakes and I doubt she "wrote" anything for her Dreamgirls performance either. Let the REAL writers get the credit.

Trina

My teens are a fan of Beyonce. I guess I'm too old at 40 to appreciate her sound. Too much screaming, and yelling on the songs. Now that Jennifer can "sang"!

p1tey1

TMZ didn't you run this story a couple of weeks ago when it was first announced that she wouldn't be listed?????

Must be a slow news day.

We, are not amused.

I recently saw "Dreamgirl's" and Jennifer Hudson can flat out sign! She steals the show. Go see this movie!

LAchick

Gosh her dad is going to be pissed! His plan to get his baby an Oscar is further foiled by the Academy. Daddy Knowles should have realized when he made the deal for this movie that the star was going to be whoever had the Effie role. No matter how much weight B gained she could never ever have played Effie, no matter what she said. I have no doubt that she is somewhere screaming at her dad and JZ right this moment. I mean afterall, the academy has spoken!
The Golden Globes are gonna be so much fun!

;)

YEAH, it was already reported in its entirety earlier last week. Damn you guys must be having trouble obtaining new news . . . what happened?

ashley stitt

I just went to mediatakeout.com and Beyonce stated while she was in a concert " that she wrote Irreplaceable for the ladies" (straight from her mouth on a video) but on the same video Neyo said he wrote ALL the LYRIC to Irreplacealbe. Beyonce LIAR LIAR ALL OF YOUR WEAVES ON FIRE...... And I'm sure she didn't write Listen; if she had some imput in writing Listen, I'm sure it was no more than 5%....

Wicked

well them there are da rules

Sade

That jennifer hudson girl can sing.b she my girl and all but jennifer got her. AND YOU AND YOU AND YOU AND YOU AND YOU AND YOU AND YOU AND YOU AND YOU ANDYOU GONNA LUV MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Elwinette

hmmh..It seems there's some fishy plots to sabotage Beyonce's career. First they gave her a blockbuster movie role to expose her tatentless acting, then they drop her name from the Academy nominations...ANYONE?

Elwinette

Ring the Alarm! I'll be damn if i see MY trophy on ur arms!

I guess Beyonce has to move to the LEFT, to the LEFT...

I've seen the movie after so much anticipation, and it was very entertaining. The producers did justice and Beyonce was only given her share of showtime after the 2nd half of the movie to fulfill the purpose of her character..

But I really don't get it how all the rage and emotions came from the role Deena, when it was the character Effie White played by Jennifer Husdon who was betrayed, used and emotionally confused...has Beyonce lost her mind, or was she just using the Dreamgirls attraction to sell her own CD.

And all the lyrics for Ring the Alarm, Ireplaceable have nothing to do with the storyline of the movie -at least Beyonce claimed her inspirations for her latest hits came from playing Deena, but I bet almost everyone has seen the movie- Jeniffer who should have made a hit CD..Holy crappy sh*t!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments