Brandy Tells Witness Fatal Crash Was Her Fault

1/24/2007 1:36 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

UPDATE:

EXCLUSIVE -- BRANDY ADMITTED FAULT AT SCENE
Brandy In an exclusive conversation with the man driving directly behind Brandy at the time of her fateful crash, TMZ has learned that the singer repeatedly blamed herself at the scene of the accident.

"She got upset, talking about how it was all her fault ... she didn't stop, kept saying how she hit the lady," says the witness.

He added, "Brandy walked in front of traffic, crossing the lanes of speeding cars, then she did it again. People were honking at her to get out of the road. She was obviously disoriented and highly upset."

The witness also claims he tried to calm the hysterical singer, and even dished out some legal advice, saying he advised her to stop admitting guilt. He also consoled her by repeatedly saying "It was an accident."

The witness also claims he went over to check on the woman in the Toyota, but couldn't find a pulse.

TMZ has learned R&B sensation Brandy was involved in a fatal accident last month, and it appears to be her fault.

It happened at 10:30 AM on December 30, 2006 on the 405 Freeway in Los Angeles. Law enforcement sources tell TMZ Brandy was driving her 2007 Land Rover at 65 mph and did not notice that cars in front of her had slowed considerably. We're told Brandy's vehicle struck a 2005 Toyota. The Toyota then hit a 1989 Toyota. The 2005 Toyota then slid sideways and hit the center divider. As the 2005 Toyota came to a halt, it was struck by a 1988 Acura.

In a statement to TMZ from Brandy's publicist, Courtney Barnes, the singer confirmed her involement in a fatal crash: Brandy was involved in a car accident December 30, 2006 in Los Angeles where there was a fatality. She wishes to publicly express her condolences to the family of the deceased. Brandy asks that you respect the privacy of everyone involved at this time.

We're told the driver of the 2005 Toyota, Awatef Aboudihaj, was taken to Holy Cross Hospital in critical condition and she died the next day. Aboudihaj, a 38-year-old married mother of one, was a Los Angeles resident.

Brandy was not injured. The driver of the Acura suffered moderate injuries.

Brandy was not arrested and there is no evidence drugs or alcohol were involved.

Celeb Car Crashes: Click to launch photosPolice are doing a mechanical investigation of the cars involved in the accident to determine if there was a malfunction.

Brandy's "Moesha" co-star, Lamont Bentley, was killed in January, 2005 when his car plunged off the same freeway. Another "Moesha" co-star, Merlin Santana, was killed by a gunshot wound while sitting in the passenger seat of a car in 2002.

DiRTyBuNNy

Sounds like girlfriend should have her @$$ in jail if it really happened as was described. Someone died because of her actions. INAL but she should be charged with vehicular manslaughter.

--Mr. DB

nuggyt

Yea!!!!! Why is it that us black people don't want to be called N***** yet it's ok to unload any words we want on anybody??

ANna MAe

I'm sorry I insulted all white people by using the term "cracker." That is such a racist comment to use. I'm going to go pray for my soul now. Please forgive me.

steph

oh...and no i didnt intentionally spell "Educate" wrong......i mistyped it...just thought i should put that out there before some immature a**hole wants to come at me about that one....

me

And TMZ...for all we have to go through with all this verification bullsh*t to avoid "inappropriate " comments or comments not relevant to the blog entry you're doing a really sucky job at filtering them out.

and thank you to nuggt for the at least relevant comment.

coco puff

It's impossible for a African American to be a racist. We've had to deal with racism and bigotry for hundreds of years. It is my mission in life to root out the racist crackers. I thank all of those who support me and my cause.

Josh

I love when people tell someone to go get educated and then just get right into mangling the english language. Good times. I don't know why the first person who posted would be cheering a murderer though, that was kind of odd. I think she should go, to driving school.

Connie

I agree:

9. anytime you rear-end someone, the majority of liability is with you! It was Brandy's responsibility to be aware of the traffic ahead therefore she is negligent.

Posted at 12:13PM on Jan 24th 2007 by Erica

me

TMZ what happened to my previous post? The one where i asked why everything that's on here turns into a racist tirade? Is it because I used the "f" word? Was it filtered? Of all the things to filter you leave these comments by black and white racists on here but you filter me out because i said the "f" word?

Whatever.

Confused on the Photo

Brandy..............Prayer's be with you and ALL of the victims in this ACCIDENT!
I hope that you have sent your condolences to all of the victims and the departed ones family.

nuggyt

You are a disgrace to black people every where Farrah. N****** like you are the most racist people in the world. People like you are the reason I tore up my RACE CARD 25 years ago.

Leah C

I don't care if she's purple, green or orange, she committed negligent vehicular manslaughter and should pay the price. She WAS at fault! And her bad judgement behind the wheel caused an innocent woman her life! Brandy probably won't serve any jail time (especially since she's "famous), but she should pay a heavy fine and lose her license. And Chrissy's right. There's definitely a lawsuit here, no matter if she's famous or not.

Michael Richards

Send her off to a federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison! Ive sent girls younger than her to the gas chamber.....didnt want to do it...felt I OWED it to them......

Hot Carl

OK people... chill out on the race thing... the bottom line has nothing to do about race...

THE BOTTOME LINE IS BRANDY IS FEMALE!!! AND WE ALL KNOW THAT CHICKS CAN'T DRIVE WORTH A SH*T!!!!!

GET OFF YOUR DAMN CELL PHONE AND DRIVE YOU STUPID BITCHES!!!

THATS WHY PEOPLE GET KILLED!!!

randombitch

Why did this turn into a racist thing? Regardless of her race, shes in the wrong, and anyone who denies that is just ignorant. She shouldve have slowed down, period. Drop the racism, its 2007!!