Cheney to Blitzer: Lay Off My Lesbian Daughter

1/24/2007 7:38 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Click to return to TMZ.comVice President Dick Cheney went off on CNN's "Situation Room" host Wolf Blitzer for asking him about ... his lesbian daughter Mary's pregnancy.

On Wednesday's episode, Blitzer congratulated the sneering Veep on the impending birth of his grandchild, while adding that some conservative groups are critical of Mary's pregnancy. Blitzer then read a statement by the anti-gay Christian organizaton, Focus on the Family. "Mary Cheney's pregnancy raises the question of what's best for children. Just because it's possible to conceive a child outside of the relationship of a married mother and father, doesn't mean it's best for the child."

A steaming Dick would not respond to the comment but did seethe, "I'm delighted -- I'm delighted I'm about to have a sixth grandchild, Wolf, and obviously think the world of both of my daughters and all of my grandchildren. And I think, frankly, you're out of line with that question."

Blitzer, who stated he was sympathetic to Mary and her partner Liz, tried defending himself by saying, "That was just a question that's come up and it's a responsible, fair question." But Cheney wasn't having it and fumed, "I just fundamentally disagree with your perspective." Wolf quickly switched topics to another controversial woman Cheney's not too happy with, Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

This isn't the first time Dick was inflamed by someone mentioning his lesbian daughter. In 2004, the Cheneys found it inappropriate when John Kerry mentioned Mary's homosexuality during a presidential debate.

B

So, Dick Cheney wants to support a president who shoots down gay rights but doesn't want to be asked about his gay daughters pending child. I hope his head explodes over the moral conflict(s) he and all the Neo-Con clowns struggle with daily. If this Iraq occupation last any longer, maybe this new born will end up over there.........now that's a conflict!

ann coulter

his views towards homosexuality are so conditional. he's tolerant when it comes to his daughter and a narrow-minded bigot when it comes to anyone else who happens to be gay. he is the antithesis of anything christian.

vega lee

not as stupid as you. I can read sarcasm. Why the hell would I prefer abusive situations for anyone as opposed to loving caring homes. Even if I did, don't get your panties in a bunch over it . ..

Jim

Funny how this guys personal and family life is off limits yet he and his chronies are quick to tell the rest of us how to live.

Maine resident

Does anyone in these blogs recognize sarcasm? come on now

Adrienne

I'm pretty sure Vega Lee is being (quite obviously) sarcastic. The question is a very relevant one. If Cheney is going to openly say he's against gay marriage but he's got no problem with his own daughter having a child and being in a lesbian relationship, that's just a teensy bit hipocritcal and has a lot to say about the integrity of this man.

Black Sheep

Yeah #1. Jesus Christ would ABSOLUTELY condone abuse and battery. Probably divorce and cheating too! And with your last name I'll bet you and your kids have seen it all.

sunshine

Of course these kinds of questions are appropiate. Get outta here. You can question Clinton's personal life but you can't Cheney's daughter. WTF. I really don't give 2 sh** about who his daughter is screwing. THe point is to show how hypocritical this moron Cheney is!!! I have 0 respect for people like him and the fact that he is 2nd in command and the 1st is .. well... that's another topic, is an embarassment to this nation!!! We are currently the laughing stock of the world!!!!

Jon

Both extremes are wrong. All people who are able and loving should be able to have kids. Those who aren't - gays AND straights - should not. But the answer also isn't outlawing religion. Religion isn't about what crazy people intepret in the most literal sense to oppress people. Religion was never supposed to be literally translated word for word. It is just moral guidelines. If you look at the Ten Commandments, there is nothing about gays and abortion and whatever. Fanatics just use religion as an excuse to hate. The answer is to tolerate and accept and to be open and accept that the factor most important in raising a child is LOVE.

Black Sheep

Dick is the perfect name for this guy. I can't WAIT until the inauguration in 2009!

Black Sheep

Great comment Jim. The entire adminstration is one big bunch of hypocrites with blinders on.

Black Sheep

Good comment Jim! The entire administration is nothing but hypocrites and liars.

SUZANNE

I DON'' THINK IT IS ANYONE'S BUSINESS WHAT YOUR SEXUAL PREERENCE IS. . . . HOWEVER, THE BUSH/CHENEY TEAM HAS MADE IT EVERYONE'S BUSINESS, WITH THEIR NEVERENDING COMMENTS AND EFFORTS TO BRING ABOUT LEGISLATION TO DISALLOW GAY/LESBIAN MARRIAGE. WOLFE BLITZER'S COMMENT TO MOST ANYONE ELSE WOULD HAVE BEEN OFF BASE, BUT IN THIS CASE, I THINK NOT.

Black Sheep

LOL. Ted. You are hilarious! You love Bush? Are you writing from....Iraq by any chance? Cause you really should be there doing the bidding of your #1.

Too bad the country isn't just a laughing stock. Would be a lot better than being hated and the target of attacks.

sunshine

Wow ..Ted seems like you just came off the pipe yourself.. maybe you should stop wasting other peoples time and do something to support your lover Bush.. like deploying your ass off to Iraq.... Let's see how much you LOVE Bush then.. Prick!!!!!!!!!