Cheney to Blitzer: Lay Off My Lesbian Daughter

1/24/2007 7:38 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Click to return to TMZ.comVice President Dick Cheney went off on CNN's "Situation Room" host Wolf Blitzer for asking him about ... his lesbian daughter Mary's pregnancy.

On Wednesday's episode, Blitzer congratulated the sneering Veep on the impending birth of his grandchild, while adding that some conservative groups are critical of Mary's pregnancy. Blitzer then read a statement by the anti-gay Christian organizaton, Focus on the Family. "Mary Cheney's pregnancy raises the question of what's best for children. Just because it's possible to conceive a child outside of the relationship of a married mother and father, doesn't mean it's best for the child."

A steaming Dick would not respond to the comment but did seethe, "I'm delighted -- I'm delighted I'm about to have a sixth grandchild, Wolf, and obviously think the world of both of my daughters and all of my grandchildren. And I think, frankly, you're out of line with that question."

Blitzer, who stated he was sympathetic to Mary and her partner Liz, tried defending himself by saying, "That was just a question that's come up and it's a responsible, fair question." But Cheney wasn't having it and fumed, "I just fundamentally disagree with your perspective." Wolf quickly switched topics to another controversial woman Cheney's not too happy with, Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

This isn't the first time Dick was inflamed by someone mentioning his lesbian daughter. In 2004, the Cheneys found it inappropriate when John Kerry mentioned Mary's homosexuality during a presidential debate.

B

Ted, tell us all why you love Bush Jr?

Black Sheep

Yo Ted. Are YOU sucking back crack man? That could explain a lot about your homosexual urges for a Bush/Cheney 3 way.

jc

yeah, it's not relevant that his party has been on an anti-gay crusade, especially in the past four years proping up gay marriage bans in every swing state to attempt to rally their homophobic base while the #2 man's own daughter would be discriminated by his party's actions. The fact is, Focus on the Family and the evangelicals rule the Republican party, and they have to face questions like this until they can show their independence.

Azaziah

God does not hate except for the time he flooded the entire planet and Noah was the only survivor. I can beat the ever livin sh*t out of a person for looking at me wrong and it is a misdemeanor. However, if that person is a homo it automatically becomes a felony.

Kevin

Just as Cheney blasted any war critics as unpatriotic, he calls Wolf's questions "out of line." Translation in both cases: It's a topic I do not wish to discuss with you, so I'm going to attack your credibility for asking it and attempt to deflect the blame back to you for even thinking such a topic.

The question is 100%, wholeheartedly relevant. This administration is actively trying to deny rights to a huge group of people.

I am actively counting the days until these two idiots are out of office.

Cranky Pants

If Cheney didn't have a lesbian daughter he'd be right up there with the religious nut cases condemning gays, their lifestyle and their abilities as parents.

Cheney can suck it. I hope I see the day that fat f*** lying war mongering POS is dragged away in shakles to the Hague. But he's a big 5 deferrment p***y. He'll probably take Hitler's way out...cyanide.

Sand In My Crack

You can question Cheney or Clinton or Bush about THEIR personal lives..sure. But questions about family members (unless they have been in the tabloids and have brought attention to themselves by acting like asses) should be off limits. Blitzer's question was in poor taste. Maybe Cheney's daughter doesn't agree with everything her Daddy does, and maybe Cheney is not crazy about his daughter being a lesbian. Nevertheless they are FAMILY and clearly have respect for each others choices.

sunshine

Bad VP's can still be Good Dads--- The point is, This man is a liar and a hypocrite!!! And it's that's same qualities that helped us walk into the trap know as the IRAQ WAR!!!! I will talk about and trash anyone in his family ...cause MY brother is out there paying for this man's POOR decision making skills!!!!!

Jamie Lynn

Get used to it dickhead your daughter is a dyke and probably because of you does not want a dick. She and mrs lesbo have no right having a baby. This is not the way it was intended to be. If you were a decent father she would not have turned out this way. You can see why you are a lousy vp.

???

hey dealwithit, if they "have no right" are they going to prison for it? NO!!!! This is The US OF A! a**hole! I'm sure there were a lot of "gay" people that have fought for YOUR rights to say and think whatever you want. Is it better for a baby to be born to a family that doesn't want it or can't give it a good life? That was obviously your situation since you cannot grasp a simple idea of just loving and raising a child. I'll bet your best friends parents were probably gay. Some one in your childhood was(Uncle,Aunt,Cousin.....whatever) You are a homophobe! But better than that........ There will ALWAYS be gay people. It will never change. So you better get used to it. SIMPLETON

Sand In My Crack

Hey Maverick, did I say he WASN'T a liar or hypocrite? The point was he loves his daughter. His political stance is a different issue. The article said he was upset about the question concerning a member of his family (who by the way ) is NOT an elected official and did not have a choice whether or not her life and her choices would come under media scrutiny. I wish you and your brother the best and hope he'll be coming home soon.

sakura

I don't like Dick Cheney at all, but I do approve of a father defending his daughter, gay or straight. A child is precious to a parent regardless of it's birth.

george vieto

God doesn't hate homosexuals or lesbians. He hates the SIN of human beings because of the consequences of sin. The Vice President is only defending his daughter because he loves his family despite their flaws.

dennis

mother nature is never wrong. Man and a woman. works in the animal kingdom.

olddrunk

Dear "Mr. President": Are you aware that this administration has virtually done away with freedom of speech and the written word. It is called "The Patriot Act". Mr. Cheney has always been a very angry man. Without putting too much more anger out into the universe myself I would just like to write that Mr. Cheney needs to attend anger management classes. Personally, though, I think his wife needs them more. If you don't know her background, please Google her or Wikipedia her. She has written some rather strange books. One of them was about a V.P. who died from a heart attack. She wrote this long before her husband assumed the position. Does she really like him?