Cheney to Blitzer: Lay Off My Lesbian Daughter

1/24/2007 7:38 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Click to return to TMZ.comVice President Dick Cheney went off on CNN's "Situation Room" host Wolf Blitzer for asking him about ... his lesbian daughter Mary's pregnancy.

On Wednesday's episode, Blitzer congratulated the sneering Veep on the impending birth of his grandchild, while adding that some conservative groups are critical of Mary's pregnancy. Blitzer then read a statement by the anti-gay Christian organizaton, Focus on the Family. "Mary Cheney's pregnancy raises the question of what's best for children. Just because it's possible to conceive a child outside of the relationship of a married mother and father, doesn't mean it's best for the child."

A steaming Dick would not respond to the comment but did seethe, "I'm delighted -- I'm delighted I'm about to have a sixth grandchild, Wolf, and obviously think the world of both of my daughters and all of my grandchildren. And I think, frankly, you're out of line with that question."

Blitzer, who stated he was sympathetic to Mary and her partner Liz, tried defending himself by saying, "That was just a question that's come up and it's a responsible, fair question." But Cheney wasn't having it and fumed, "I just fundamentally disagree with your perspective." Wolf quickly switched topics to another controversial woman Cheney's not too happy with, Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

This isn't the first time Dick was inflamed by someone mentioning his lesbian daughter. In 2004, the Cheneys found it inappropriate when John Kerry mentioned Mary's homosexuality during a presidential debate.

dennis

his daughter should go on welfare!

Mad Balls

WOWie ! dick , what an Ambush ! kinda like going on a hunting trip with the dick-mister himself . Duckheds . That right I'm not the NASTY BOIL but most of you have the attention span of a Crackhead so you won't know . Keep his daughter out of it , Blitz. . She ain't the cause of the war , or crime , or taxes . So what if he tows the party line --alot of DEmocratic Money guys are biting their tongues at the thought of bigger and better taxes . Thats why I'll never join a party . You have to swallow your tongue so much , pretty soon your lickin' your on ass . Dickherds .

Mary Worth

Wonder what Rosie has to say about this.

Sal

Excuse me, you morons. Vega Lee's comment was not serious. It was a joke, meant to shame homophobes and gay-bashers. I can't believe how stupid some of you are.

tammy

I AGREE WITH ERIS, MY SON IS A GAY MAN AND ALTHOUGH I DON'T COMPLETELY AGREE WITH HIS LIFESTYLE I LOVE HIM AS MUCH TODAY AS THE DAY HE WAS BORN AND I BELIEVE WHEN ITS ALL SAID AND DONE WE'RE GOING TO REALIZE ALL THAT WE WERE ASK TO DO IS LOVE ONE ANOTHER, NOT TO JUDGE--LEST YOU BE JUDGED. BUT FOR SOME REASON WE ALWAY FORGET THAT. I GUESS WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH BIGGER PROBLEMS TO DEAL WITH----HELLO---THE WAR, TERRORIST, GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!!!!!!!! WAKE UP PEOPLE

Debra

I believe that consenting adults can do what they like but I do not believe that children should be introduced into their mess. It seems that Republican like Cheney can and do criticize other people but think that what they say does not apply to them. If you love your daughter so much stop being a hippocrit about homosexually issues. I believe the question was relevant and should have been posed to him as anyone else. What makes him so special? Republicans in general get on my nerves because they think that they can dictate for others but the same does not apply to them. Thank God and I did mean to use the word God that they are going to be booted out of office. They seem to be a bunch of liars and crooks.

pjones

Dick Chaney loves his daughter, but that doesn't mean he can't disagree with her lifestyle. Of course, he will love this grandchild as he does his other grandchildren. To disagree with a certain lifestyle does not mean you hate the people, which some people just can't seem to understand.

Mark

the comment is not relevant and his daughters personal life is not the media's concern.

Lu

To all you Cheney bashers - would you have been more impressed with the Vice President if he were to say, "This is the offspring of an immoral, illegal association and should rot in hell and will never be a grandchild of mine." Would you praise him then?? I may not agree with his politics but I will never condemn a man for being a good father or grandfather. I think Blitzer was way out of bounds for even commenting on the VP's daughter and unborn grandchild, the same way I felt it way out of bounds when the media tried to drag Chelsea Clinton's reaction into the Bill/Monica mess. Elected officials are fair game for public scrutiny, not their families.

Christine

Yes, i think he shouldn't have to ask him that question or even for him answer that question. This is he personal live that and his daughter we have no right do be disrespectful to him about that. Plus all the Christian i'm orthodox christian we shouldn't be Judging anyone if we are self don't want to be Judged. Everyone has right to live there lifes they way they want b/c the only one that has right to judy us is god.

lilia valdez

Careful Blitzer, our "beloved" VP has been known to have hunting "accidents". "Oops, I thought it was a grey wolf!"

sarah

by the way, YOU CAN ACTUALLY LOVE YOUR DAUGHTER AND DISAPPROVE OF HER BEHAVIOR AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! leave cheney alone!

OG

First of all, I hate that scumbag, Cheney. Second, it's not up to us to judge a person's sexual preference, it's between him/her and God. What they do in private is between them. However, I do have a problem when gay couples bring a child into the picture. Can you imagine the how much teasing this kid will receive for having two mommies - that's not right. Raising children for gay couples should be illegal!

Lisa Ann Olmo

As to #3 "God hates fags". I visited the site you supplied a link for. I read where you are taking (completely out of context) I might add, from the reading in John, that never does it say "God loves everyone" and then "whosoever believes", etc., my dear #3, "For God so loved the WORLD"....taken in context He died for EVERYONE, however it is the individual's free will to believe it or not. Never would He force Himself on anyone. It is not He who makes the choice it is the WORLD. It's personal and there for anyone. Don't want it? Don't believe it". If I held out a hand to my child to lift them out of certain death and they smacked my hand away and fell to that certain death" would I be sad? Would I grieve? Absolutely! You hurt my child's feelings and my heart is broken but did I CAUSE them to not accept the hand the most certainly would have saved them? No. Their choice. My grief. I am not "preaching" here although it may sound that way, I'm just saying "understanding" what one is reading is most important.

Lolly

I think God hates HATE not "fags" as some of you so ignorantly state.